advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Router Question
Posted by: macaroo
Date: June 06, 2006 05:44AM
I have installed a Linksys BEFSR41 4-port wired router which has been running for 4 years W/O a problem on Road Runner. I want to add a wireless NetGear WGR614 to the uplink port for 801.11g capability; gang the two together. When I tried to install the NetGear using their intelligent installer and selected this configuration, it gave me all sorts of warning messages to the affect that this configuration may not work and all sorts of router functions will not work. Is this correct? Has anybody done this? What sorts of problems, if any, can I expect? Or should I just replace the Linksys with the NetGear?

Basically, can a router be stacked to another router?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Router Question
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: June 06, 2006 05:59AM
If you can't return it & are stuck with the Netgear; use it to replace the Linksys.
You can always fleabay the old Linksys.

Otherwise, return the Netgear & get a Buffalo or Linksys 11g to use. Much better products, imo. The Linksys WRT54GL is a good choice, if you can find it 'on sale'.

What you're proposing (stacking routers) doesn't make sense and seems to be asking for trouble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2006 06:02AM by Panopticon.
Posted by: elmo3
Date: June 06, 2006 06:41AM
macaroo

Why do you want to do this? What functionality are you seeking?

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Posted by: timg
Date: June 06, 2006 07:10AM
elmo3
macaroo

Why do you want to do this? What functionality are you seeking?

From the description, I'm guessing he wants to use the Netgear router as an access point.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 06, 2006 07:24AM
It should theoretically work. I've got a Dlink wireless router that no longer works wirelessly, but still works with the wired 4 ports in the back. I have one of the four ports going to an airport express, and there are no problems whatsoever with how this setup works.
Posted by: macaroo
Date: June 06, 2006 07:27AM
Yes, I need the additional wired ports for my computer business that I run out of my home and I just bought a Dell laptop that has a wireless access point built in.
Also I need the wireless capability to troubleshoot customer's wireless node problems on occasion. I use to use the neighbor's router across the street, but he has taken it off the air.

I probably just replace the LinkSys with the Netgear and add a ethernet switch that I have somewhere.
Posted by: bangman
Date: June 06, 2006 08:34AM
That sounds about right.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 06, 2006 08:50AM
If you can turn off DHCP on either router-then it is a switch-and should work for you--leave DHCP on one and disable it on the other
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 53
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020