advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Which iPad?
Posted by: iaJim
Date: April 26, 2011 10:22PM
I don't know which iPad 2 to buy. I'm afraid that if I don't get a 3G model that I'll regret it, and I don't know how much memory I'll need. I know I want black, and that's about as far as I can get. My wife's going to get one too, and when we travel, we're usually together or I'm driving. I wonder if we should get one 3G and one wi-fi.

How did you decide?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Which iPad?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 26, 2011 10:44PM
The 64Gb 3G was all they had so my wife bought regardless of
how far my mouth fell open winking smiley I'm glad she bought the 64Gb as
it's half full and personally I wouldn't have one without 3G but
that's just me.

Grateful11
Posted by: Trouble
Date: April 26, 2011 10:51PM
Get the GPS. I'd rather have less memory and the GPS if I had to choose.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: April 26, 2011 11:14PM
I ordered one for my wife. After thinking about it for a long time, we decided on the black 32/3G. She has a 64gig Touch that is almost two years old and is only a quarter full. I know $100 more would have gotten me the largest...I was just having a problem spending it I guess. If I get one, it will probably be the 16/3G.
3G, 64G
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 27, 2011 01:17AM
Yes, 3G is $130 more.

If you keep it for a couple of years, you'll never notice the money.

And with the Buy-by-the-Month data plan, you can get wireless access when you need it, should the need arise.

I have the first 'Pad, and there have been a few instances when and where I would have bought online connectivity if I could have.

I would *not* get 3G if I had to get a two year contract (or any contract) for data service. But a month at a time, whenever I want it...

I'm in.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Kate
Date: April 27, 2011 01:45AM
I bought the 1st gen 16gb wifi from Verizon a bit back ($325), then found a 32 3g off of craigslist for $375. Sold the 16bg wifi, because mainly I wanted a GPS, but did sign up for the AT&T $15 a month plan. I like that I can turn the 3g on when I'm out and don't have wifi available, especially for the maps.

Kate
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 27, 2011 06:02AM
iaJim
How did you decide?

I got the 16 GB wifi.

Sold it within a month for the 64 GB 3G.
Posted by: pinion
Date: April 27, 2011 06:47AM
Depends on what other things you'll be carrying around with you. Personally I can share my iphones 3g and I can also just us the GPS in it. I stream my stuff from a server at home so I don't need a lot of space. For me I'd save the money and get a 16gb wifi model. I'd also stick with ipad 1 since the ipad 2 is only a modest speed bump. And for the haters that are going to say I'm wrong on that then I'll just say, the ipad 1 was more than fast enough to work on and play with and for the price you can't beat it.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 27, 2011 06:49AM
I bought the 16gb wifi from Verizon and I'm happy with it. My wife is busily watching a storm approach on it right now.

I figured we'd only need 3g while literally driving down the road since there is so much wifi available. My wife doesn't have any desire to surf while I drive, so she didn't need a 3g to pass the time. So, the only reason we'd need a 3g is to find out local sites, restaurants, etc. as we're driving.

I didn't get the 3g because I decided that I simply wouldn't be willing to spend $15 to subscribe for a month to find out where a local restaurant is while we're on the interstate. We've taken 3 trips since we bought the iPad and I haven't regretted the wifi decision.
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 27, 2011 07:42AM
Do you travel a lot? If so, the 3G is a no-brainer.

We have one 3G, one wifi. The 3G is great on the road, but off when at home.

Do you have an iPhone or smarphone? If not, the 3G Internet acces on the go would be great.
Date: April 27, 2011 07:53AM
We both have iPhones, and we do a lot of driving, but usually end up at home in the evening.
Posted by: DRR
Date: April 27, 2011 08:28AM
Lux Interior
iaJim
How did you decide?

I got the 16 GB wifi.

Sold it within a month for the 64 GB 3G.

Same with me. 3G gives you so much more functionality if you're ever on the road. I just moved to a new city so it has proven invaluable.

I do also have an iPhone but it is so much easier to use a large screen for almost all tasks.
Date: April 27, 2011 09:26PM
Thanks everybody; 3G it is.
Posted by: pinion
Date: April 28, 2011 06:56AM
3G gives you so much more functionality if you're ever on the road.

What, exactly, do you mean?

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020