advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Supplemental Nosy Poll.. What level of supplements do you take regularly ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 10, 2011 04:37PM
Poll
What level of supplements do YOU take ?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
43 votes were received.
Nothing 14

33%
Flintstone Vitamins ! I prefer Wilma ! 0

0%
Basic Multivitamin 13

30%
Vitamin "Packs" 3

7%
A whole goshdarned handful of things 12

28%
A little eye of newt, powdered unicorn horn, wing of bat, And poof ! I feel hundreds of years younger ! 1

2%
Dunno... My keepers give me some kind of stuff to keep the demons away.... Aaaah ! There they are ! 0

0%

Just wondering... Oh, how I wish polls allowed more than one clicky thing.

... I take general 'mature adult' multivitamins, extra C, extra B-12, glucosamine, and extra calcium.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 04:39PM by cbelt3.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Supplemental Nosy Poll.. What level of supplements do you take regularly ?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 10, 2011 04:43PM
cbelt3
... I take general 'mature adult' multivitamins

censored smiley

smiling bouncing smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 10, 2011 04:44PM
rj... that's age-related maturity. Intellectually and emotionally I am willing to admit I often have the maturity of a 13 year old boy. I am, after all, a guy.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 10, 2011 05:12PM
cbelt3
rj... that's age-related maturity. Intellectually and emotionally I am willing to admit I often have the maturity of a 13 year old boy. I am, after all, a guy.

wink smiley Nah - it's just fun to rib the elder statesmen now and again. One day, though, there will come a thread for which you don't have a "when I was a youngster" story.... Maybe not in my lifetime, but one day!!! devil smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Mini 9
Date: May 10, 2011 05:32PM
calcium/vitamin chews. desire to get it through eatings/drinking, though.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 10, 2011 05:34PM
Sadly I stopped taking multivitamins because the mega B complex seems to aggravate my insomnia. That, and taking a supposed thiamine-like supplement (5-HTP @ Costco) has added about 90 minutes of sleep.

Does anybody know of a line of multivitamins without B complex?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: May 10, 2011 06:52PM
I take a multivitamin, a fish-oil capsule, and an occasional D. I've also worked two cups of strongly-brewed green tea into my daily diet.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 10, 2011 06:54PM
I have taken a One-A-Day for Men or generic equivalent (usually generic) for decades. I started when I was much younger after several times right before bedtime realizing that my diet that day did not include any _________ or _________.

Also, for quite a few years now I have added a daily vitamin E capsule. It seems to help keep my skin from becoming the Sahara Desert.

And in the past couple years I have added vitamin C. The main reason is not actually all the alleged anti-cold properties. The main reason--which may well be the placebo effect--is it seems to reduce some of the latent chronic symptoms I have from a really bad bi-lateral ear infection several years ago.

Posted by: davester
Date: May 10, 2011 07:51PM
It's all snake oil. Unless you eat a very poor diet, all of those multi-vitamins little to no positive effects and some of them have negative effects if you take too much.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 10, 2011 08:02PM
Filliam, can you take the pill with breakfast?
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: May 10, 2011 08:29PM
Davester, there are also negative health effects from long-term deficiency. Many people believe they eat a well-balanced diet, but, if you keep a log of what you eat, you may see that your diet is lacking and could stand a bit of help. Some vitamins—D, for instance—are not widely available in food and the lack of D may open you up to increased cancer risk. Unless you eat a large quantity of oily fish or walnuts on a daily basis, you can't possibly be getting your D from food sources. The same is true of Omega 3 oils.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 10, 2011 08:40PM
I believe there are a lot of us, myself included, who do in fact eat a pretty poor diet. That's why I take a multivitamin.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 10, 2011 08:49PM
Oh... uhm... I'm one the "fistful" guys. Multivitamin/multimineral tablet, flax seed oil, glucosamine, cinnamon, B complex, garlic oil, Metanx and vitamin D3 (the last two specifically recommended by my physician).
Posted by: Wags
Date: May 10, 2011 09:43PM
Glucosamine is the only semi-daily - keeps my traumatic arthritis at bay. I'm with Davester on everything else, mostly. Eat right and you shouldn't have to worry too much about it.
Date: May 10, 2011 09:55PM
I don't understand the militant "vitamins are worthless" people. Their point is there is no double-blind peer-reviewed gold-standard blah blah blah tests. Well, there are no tests to show they don't work except for isolated tests probably paid for by pharmaceutical companies who can easily jigger the variables to make their tests come out like they want them to.

Also, virtually no one eats optimal meals often enough and if they do, the vegetables and fruits are very likely deficient in needed minerals and components.

With that understood, do you really think nutrients which are known to prevent scurvy, rickets, etc. are not viable except for those isolated extreme conditions and therefore superfluous on a continuum of health?
Date: May 10, 2011 11:06PM
Dennis S
I don't understand the militant "vitamins are worthless" people. Their point is there is no double-blind peer-reviewed gold-standard blah blah blah tests. Well, there are no tests to show they don't work except for isolated tests probably paid for by pharmaceutical companies who can easily jigger the variables to make their tests come out like they want them to.

Utter bull. There have been scores of vitamin supplement studies and most have shown that vitamins do no better than placebo except in cases where people are actually malnourished. Here's one link. [www.medicalnewstoday.com]
There are countless others. In fact, quite a few tests have shown that some vitamins (vitamin A, beta-carotene, vitamin E, among others) cause harm relative to placebo. This is not to say that there might be some instances where a particular vitamin might be deficient in a subset of the population. However, IMHO randomly taking multivitamins, and especially taking megadoses of those vitamins, is a dumb idea.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: haikuman
Date: May 11, 2011 02:09AM
[health.howstuffworks.com]

Perhaps This is not such a black and white issue...Supplement says it all... the caveat is supplements work and aide some people... To make claims they are utterly useless may be just a little outside the strike zone ...aka Bob Ucker *(:>*

Rudie

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 11, 2011 06:02AM
mmmmmmmm....oily fish walnuts.

Posted by: Psurfer
Date: May 11, 2011 10:25AM
I only take fish oil (one of the few supplements that's well accepted to be useful).
Date: May 11, 2011 11:00AM
I will say again: "Also, virtually no one eats optimal meals often enough and if they do, the vegetables and fruits are very likely deficient in needed minerals and components."

I don't think that can be refuted.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 11, 2011 02:42PM
I take calcium with a heft dose of Vitamin D. The hefty dose of D was recommended by my neurologist, who said that there is some evidence that low D is related to increased pain. She also suggested a combination of supplements that seems to reduce the frequency and severity of migraines for some people.
Date: May 11, 2011 05:17PM
Dennis S
I will say again: "Also, virtually no one eats optimal meals often enough and if they do, the vegetables and fruits are very likely deficient in needed minerals and components."

I don't think that can be refuted.

Since you made a provocative statement with no backup or basis then it is you that needs to come up with some proof. I call BS on that statement until you can post some factual information.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020