advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Strike 3! No iPod for davester!
Posted by: davester
Date: June 08, 2006 01:01PM
If you've been following the saga [forums.macresource.com] you'll know that I've been trying to get the free iPod deal based on the macbook I ordered for my daughter just before the deal came out. The local apple store said they could have done it if only I had not ordered that extra RAM from the apple store (which I did because it was pretty much a wash with upgrading to 1 gb with aftermarket RAM), thus creating a "built to order" computer. I called the online apple store and negotiated for a while but they wouldn't let me do it for the exact same reason...they don't accept returns of "built to order" computers. I've learned my lesson well...do not buy RAM from Apple.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Strike 3! No iPod for davester!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 08, 2006 01:03PM
You can't return a computer to Apple if they have added ram????

Date: June 08, 2006 01:21PM
They told me that it is considered a custom "built-to-order" computer. I'm sure that they just have them all stacked up in boxes though, since mine shipped (from China) the same day I ordered it. I'm guessing that they just don't stock them in the US and are unwilling to pay for shipment back to whence they came. There's probably some fine print about this somewhere but I'm not likely to pursue this further since I'm fighting against their iPod rebate language anyway (which specifically states that you cannot return and repurchase a computer to get the rebate).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: June 08, 2006 01:53PM
But I mean, if you are just returning a computer. For buyer's remorse, or because your daughter doesn't want it, or whatever. Forget the free iPod for a minute. Are they saying nobody who gets added ram can return a computer? Because that would be weird. And would scare people off from buying BTO computers, wouldn't it?

If you mean that they are fighting you on returning it and buying one to get the iPod, why not just return it and forget the whole thing for now. Then in a month or so, buy another one and get the iPod. I can't see how they can refuse to sell you a computer until after September. Can they?

Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 08, 2006 01:54PM
Yup. "custom built" means anything above and beyond factory specs. Adding RAM qualifies, in the strictest sense, for "customizing". Oh well. The games we play.
Posted by: Big Daddy Cool
Date: June 08, 2006 02:44PM
is there a restocking fee?
Date: June 08, 2006 02:48PM
I found the fine print! Here's the language on the apple store web page:

If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA. Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

1. Product that is custom configured to your specifications
2. Opened memory
3. Opened software*
4. Electronic software downloads
5. Personalized iPods
6. Software Up to Date Program Products (SW upgrades)
7. Apple Gift Cards

Date: June 08, 2006 02:58PM
Wow. That just seems wrong to me. That seems like a very crappy return policy.

Posted by: rz
Date: June 08, 2006 03:07PM
get a huge magnet and erase the hard drive. Then bring it in and say it's DOA.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 08, 2006 03:16PM
So does that mean no one can return a Macbook Pro? They have an option on the order form where you choose glossy or normal screen. Either way would be custom... that would just suck if you couldn't return it.
Date: June 08, 2006 03:38PM
Looks like the normal screen is "standard". It could be that glossy would be a "built to order" option.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 08, 2006 06:07PM
davester
The local apple store said they could have done it if only I had not ordered that extra RAM from the apple store (which I did because it was pretty much a wash with upgrading to 1 gb with aftermarket RAM), thus creating a "built to order" computer. I called the online apple store and negotiated for a while but they wouldn't let me do it for the exact same reason...they don't accept returns of "built to order" computers. I've learned my lesson well...do not buy (build-to-order product) from Apple.

$tevie
Wow. That just seems wrong to me. That seems like a very crappy return policy.

It is. I learned this lesson the hard way a few weeks ago when a MacBook ordered from the online AS with an upgraded HD arrived with a damaged screen. Even though the damage was clearly visible and clearly occurred at the factory, my local AS would not perform an exchange, citing the BTO clause of Apple's return policy.

Moral of the story: Never again will Apple get even a single penny of my upgrade budget.

It is what it is.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 08, 2006 08:01PM
They would not perform an exchange, but the must've fixed it …

Still it's a lame policy, bfd's been caught in it before, too. Makes you think twice before adding anything to a stocker, and you tell them so when purchasing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020