advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oscilloscope-like softwar for Mac (or a A/D comverter and logger)
Posted by: New.Dad
Date: June 12, 2006 06:31PM
I remember back in OS 9 there was a software called MacScope (or something like that) that worked pretty much, well... like an Oscilloscope. and I remember that it was free. now I found one Mac The Scope that costs 100 bucks.

Ok, here is what i want: i need a software that will digitize the signal from the Line IN (or from a USB line input adapter). I need to see the voltage on screen, and also to log it to a file, a sapling rate of 1/second is fine with me. I just need to monitor a voltage that changes very slowly.

Any ideas? Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oscilloscope-like softwar for Mac (or a A/D comverter and logger)
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: June 12, 2006 07:24PM
How much voltage, anything over about 5 volts will require some sort of interface to isolate your Mac.

If the voltage is audio levels, just run it in through the line in jack and use one of the freeware O-Scope software.

BGnR
Date: June 12, 2006 07:39PM
Yes, the signal is small, under 1 V. I can attenuate it if needed. Which "freeware O-Scope software" are you talking about, this is the main question, more or less.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 12, 2006 07:56PM
all the data acquisition/data logger software that I know of runs in DOS/Windows and possible Linux/Unix.

Good news is that they are getting away from the various serial port connections and going USB for many things. That bodes well for the future.

I'm the camera guy, but I work alongside the Elec Tech who does the data acquisition work, so I have picked up a fair bit over the years.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: June 12, 2006 08:16PM
New.Dad
Yes, the signal is small, under 1 V. I can attenuate it if needed. Which "freeware O-Scope software" are you talking about, this is the main question, more or less.

Audio software, voltage is voltage.
Lots have O-Scope interfaces.

BGnR
Date: June 12, 2006 08:26PM
yes, voltage is voltage, but I'd like to log the data to a file, and I would have to deal with AIFF to TEXT conversion later, plus that the sampling rate of 44 kHz is too much for me, and maybe some Audio software have a band-pass filter, i.e. cut below 20 Hz? I need to monitor a DC voltage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJM , JoeH
Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020