advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Doctor Who - The Christmas Invasion
Posted by: chas_m
Date: December 29, 2005 01:58AM
A cracker of an episode! Man is this the best fantasy/sf series since the original Star Trek went off the air or WHAT?

Battlestar What? Stargate huh? WHATscape? No thanks.

Doctor Who. Seriously great television. Check it out.

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Doctor Who - The Christmas Invasion
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 29, 2005 03:30AM
Preaching to the choir here brother.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: December 29, 2005 05:23AM
I'm not sure that I like Tennant yet.

...But I'll know for sure after I see how he deals with SJS, K-9 and the Cybermen.
Posted by: dbow
Date: December 29, 2005 10:26AM
Is this the first of the new season 2 episodes or have I missed some?
Posted by: GeneL
Date: December 29, 2005 11:00AM
Where can I find the show?

I don't watch SciFi channel anymore. Their content sucks nowadays.

Really saddens me.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: December 29, 2005 02:28PM
Dr. Who was rather entertaining... about 17 years ago - taping an episode I couldn't stay up to watch, actually caught a pirate break into the WTTW-11 broadcast that occurred during that particular episode.

That show worked without fancy special effects, etc. Haven't really kept up on it for years...

Have no idea where watch now.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: December 29, 2005 03:02PM
THe new dr who was contracted to two years and two xmas special. We're half way through that contract. THer new season has not yet begun.

I don't think it's broadcast in the us at all. I get it from the dr who binary newsgroup.
Date: December 29, 2005 06:29PM
Luckily, the BBC doesn't go after file-sharers.

I think that their mandate makes them more friendly to P2P.

I wonder if it's ultimately going to pay off by encouraging new markets in countries like the U.S. that don't get a lot of BBC programming.
Date: December 29, 2005 08:05PM
dbow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this the first of the new season 2 episodes or
> have I missed some?

Only one (and a half).

Quick history for those reading this thread:

1963 -- Doctor Who begins the day after Kennedy is assassinated. Serial format (half-hour ending with a cliffhanger to be continued next week). This format remains basically unchanged until 1989 when the show is finally cancelled after several years of audience decline. In between 63 and 89, seven actors play the lead role (plus Peter Cushing in two cheesy 60s-era UK films).

1996 -- BBC and Fox+Universal team up to launch an American pilot for a proposed new joint series. Paul McGann is the (eighth) Doctor. The movie isn't bad but kind of a red-headed stepchild. Bits of it are absolutely wonderful, but on the whole it doesn't quite work. Ratings worldwide were great, but in the US only "eh" so the option for a series was never taken up. Fans quite depressed.

2004 -- Novelist (and "Queer as Folk" creator) Russell T Davies rides his sudden fame to a new lease on life for Doctor Who. Fans ecstatic.

2005 -- Wow. "New" show WAAAAY better than anyone could have hoped, becomes the BBC's #1 flagship show, wins every ratings war and every award available to it. Chris Eccleston (ninth Doctor) hailed as a national hero, but abruptly leaves at the end of his first season (which is universally called "Season One" by everyone but me, who calls it "Season 28").

Fall -- David Tennant ("Casanova") announced as the new (tenth) Doctor, special Xmas episode promised.

December -- in addition to the aforementioned "early start" to Season 2 (aka Season 29) called "The Christmas Invasion," Tennant also does a 10-minute mini-episode for charity, as well as another "mini-episode" for people on BBC's interactive channel.

February -- For US fans, two big big events: first the annual Gallifrey convention in Los Angeles welcomes some of the new stars of the show (along with "classic" Who celebs and many others). Find out more by visiting [www.gallifreyone.com]. Second, the BBC releases a US-compatible box set of Series One (Season 28) on Feb. 14th.

March 2006 -- Season 2 will begin in earnest, including a few visitor's from the Doctor's illustriously chequered past ...

chas_m

Date: December 29, 2005 08:08PM
GeneL Wrote:
> Where can I find the show?

In America? You can't. The box set will be out Feb. 14th though (pre-order from Amazon or Deep Discount DVD!)

> I don't watch SciFi channel anymore. Their content
> sucks nowadays.

It certainly does.

There are ways of obtaining computer-playable videos of the "new" episodes, and most US fans have done that -- I bought the UK DVD box set because my DVD player can play PAL just fine, and I didn't want to wait. I hope US fans will buy the US box set (even if they've already "seen" the episodes) because of the extras AND to send the VERY IMPORTANT signal that WE WANT THEM TO MAKE MORE.

chas_m

Date: December 29, 2005 08:10PM
OWC Larry Wrote:
> That show worked without fancy special effects,
> etc. Haven't really kept up on it for years...
>
> Have no idea where watch now.

Many of the best stories from throughout the original 26-year run are available on US DVD for a modest sum (particularly from places like Amazon and Deep Discount DVD). I encourage you to pick up one or two, they are GREAT family adventure shows that mostly hold up (some have updated special effects, even!) quite well.

See my posts above for info about the new series.

chas_m

Date: December 29, 2005 08:13PM
hal Wrote:
> THe new dr who was contracted to two years and two
> xmas special. We're half way through that
> contract.

Um, no.

IF we assume that David Tennant was contracted for two seasons + two xmas specials, then we're barely at the beginning of that contract. So far he's done one xmas special and a couple of side-projects, no proper episodes yet (though he's probably done filming for next season by now, which could be what you meant).

> I don't think it's broadcast in the us at all. I
> get it from the dr who binary newsgroup.

Do support the show in the US, please, by buying the box set or AT LEAST encouraging US broadcasters to pick up the series.

chas_m

Date: December 29, 2005 11:15PM
> IF we assume that David Tennant was contracted for two
> seasons + two xmas specials, then we're barely at the
> beginning of that contract.

I think that hal was referring to the show being picked up for 2 years, not the actor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020