advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just bought the 1st season of Babylon 5...
Posted by: kj
Date: June 14, 2006 01:38AM
Please tell me it gets better! Watched the first episode. I can't find anything good to say about it. I was hoping for something maybe a little more polished than stargate (is that hoping for too much?) kj.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just bought the 1st season of Babylon 5...
Posted by: Bernie
Date: June 14, 2006 03:46AM
It gets better! Do the special features and start saving for the other seasons. Got to get to work other wise I could really rant on this one.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 14, 2006 06:40AM
It does get better. Especially up through season 3. I won't spoil it any more for you. =)
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: June 14, 2006 06:59AM
It continues much the same way through most of the series.

It's not unlike Enterprise in that most of it is logically inconsistent, insulting to the audience and in particular the characters constantly act out of character to tidy up (or mess up) the endings. But they say very dramatic Trekkian or pseudo-Shakespearean lines every once in awhile to make it seem like somebody worked out something important that you should pay attention to. And when the story is unsustainable, they talk abut religion. Some people really like that kind of dialogue.

Before you spend more money, I suggest that you catch a few season 5 episodes to see if you want to take that trip.
Posted by: grad
Date: June 14, 2006 07:23AM
Bernie
It gets better! Do the special features and start saving for the other seasons. Got to get to work other wise I could really rant on this one.

ouch.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 14, 2006 08:11AM
It does get a LOT better..
Season 1 was a rough start.

I don't really know what MacMagus is talking about... suffice to say, I disagree with his characterization of the series.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 14, 2006 08:21AM
Paul,

Agreed. The first season was rough around the edges to say the least but B5 picked up significantly thereafter. I actually didn't like B5 at first but stayed with it because of JMS.

There is far more going on in the series than you'd expect in a network TV show and, IMO, the majority of the people who share MacMagus's opinion tend to not have delved deeply enough into the show. It's so easy to miss things the first time seeing a given episode that watching them over again is a definite must. You also need to keep an eye out for little touches that make you smile and/or have an impact on stories down the road.

That said, it isn't for everyone, much in the same way the new Battlestar Galactica isn't for everyone. Most people I know love it. I don't particularly care for it. No doubt it might grow on me like B5 did but I haven't had time to realyl watch the show to see if it can change my opinion of it.

Robert
Posted by: raz
Date: June 14, 2006 08:24AM
Season 1 has its rough points. "Infection", for example is just awful. By the time you get to "Signs and Portents" it starts to get very intriguing. I think Season 2 was the high point, but others disagree.

You might want to read the commentary from JMS at [www.midwinter.com]

And do watch the Vorlon. He gets one or two lines in every-other episode or so. All of them critical.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: June 14, 2006 08:24AM
> watching them over again is a definite must.

Isn't that the punishment in the 7th level of hell?
Posted by: Donkey Hotay
Date: June 14, 2006 08:49AM
"Have you seen Mr. Garibaldi?"

=DH
Donkey (Ye Olde Farte of ye Internette) Hotay is a Tilted Windmill® enterprise.
Posted by: Donkey Hotay
Date: June 14, 2006 08:52AM
My other favorite line:

"Woohoo?"

=DH
Donkey (Ye Olde Farte of ye Internette) Hotay is a Tilted Windmill® enterprise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2006 09:31AM by Donkey Hotay.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 14, 2006 09:17AM
MacMagus,

Not at all. Watching the movie Heartbeeps again, on the other hand, is a different matter entirely.

Robert
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 14, 2006 09:27AM
Oh, good lord... I thought that movie was something I dreamed up in a nightmare...

"Micheal Garibaldi, Cheif of Security... Pass-code "Peekaboo"..
(others look at him)
"What.. you'd never have guessed it, now would you... "

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: raz
Date: June 14, 2006 09:31AM
"The only human to ever defeat the Minbari in combat is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, you will be elsewhere"

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 14, 2006 09:50AM
I watched it a long time to try to get into it but no go. . .like the new BSG. . .doesn't mean the shows are bad. . .

Sometimes a show either clicks with a person. . .or it doesn't. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 14, 2006 11:59AM
Thanks a lot. I'll give it a chance and at least watch the rest of season one, and one episode of season two. When I'm done with season one, it'll be competing with "angel" for netflix orders, so it's gonna have to get better, or it ain't gonna happen. I also bought "freaks and geeks". I get a kick out of that one. I usually buy some stuff to fill in while I'm waiting for netflix to come (always have a few dry days here and there). Anyway, thanks again! kj.
Posted by: BobC
Date: June 15, 2006 09:49AM
Hang in there. Season 1 had some rough spots while [1] they got their sea (space?) legs in terms of production and writing, and [2] they laid a lot of foundation pieces that become important in later episodes and story arcs. As a few people have mentioned, some of the S1 eps get corny at times (and JMS actually apologizes for that in his new script books), but a lot of SF shows have some early groaners (ST:TNG, and even Stargate). Seasons 2-3-4 will pay back your investment spectacularly.

B5 is really a novel, where each chapter makes the next ones more enjoyable. Season 1 is sorta the basement of the house JMS was constructing: not really pretty in its nuts & bolts, but necessary for the architectural feats planned for the upper floors. They give viewers a lot of credit for being able to think about the unfolding stories and being able to enjoy an ongoing sense of mystery.

The characters do start off spouting some wooden exposition, but they grow into very complex people who face situations without easy answers. It bears a resemblance to Deadwood that way, though with less blood, mud, and #$@%-ing. There's no Trek-ish reset button that gets pushed at the 59-minute mark. That's the beauty of the show for some people, and its bane for others.

Star Trek: SF for people with good intentions.
Babylon 5: SF for people with good attention spans.
Date: June 15, 2006 02:24PM
Thanks Bob. With your encouragement, I may be able to talk myself into watching another one tonight winking smiley kj.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020