advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I SPLIT [SPIT] on your grave?!.....uh oh, Netflix just raised their rates AND.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 12, 2011 12:37PM
.....SPLITTING DVD rental......from streaming.....so you now have to pay TWICE as much [$7.99 times 2 - $7.99 for DVD rentals and $7.99 for streaming. that is a 100% increase!!].....

.....effective now for new customers......starts September 1 for current customers.....enjoy.....!!

Netflix Introduces New Plans and Announces Price Changes

Jessie Becker, here to share two significant changes at Netflix with you.

First, we are launching new DVD only plans. These plans offer our lowest prices ever for unlimited DVDs – only $7.99 a month for our 1 DVD out at-a-time plan and $11.99 a month for our 2 DVDs out at-a-time plan. By offering our lowest prices ever, we hope to provide great value to our current and future DVDs by mail members. New members can sign up for these plans by going to DVD.netflix.com.

Second, we are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into separate plans to better reflect the costs of each and to give our members a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan or the option to subscribe to both. With this change, we will no longer offer a plan that includes both unlimited streaming and DVDs by mail.

So for instance, our current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming), for $7.99 a month.

The price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). For new members, these changes are effective immediately; for existing members, the new pricing will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011......

the SKY'S the limit......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 12:44PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I SPLIT [spit] on your grave?!.....uh oh, Netflix just raised their rates AND.....
Posted by: Trouble
Date: July 12, 2011 12:47PM
Cool. I never using the streaming so I'm saving money by switching to the DVD only plan.
Re: I SPLIT [spit] on your grave?!.....uh oh, Netflix just raised their rates AND.....
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 12, 2011 12:51PM
Blah, kinda sucks. I'll pay it, but only because it's still much cheaper than cable TV.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Re: I SPLIT [SPIT] on your grave?!.....uh oh, Netflix just raised their rates AND.....
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: July 12, 2011 01:01PM
Netflix can suck it. I'll Redbox stuff and actually save money with a number of others who are planning the same thing. Here's hoping we don't all live in the same area so we're not fighting the already existing customers of Redbox.

It'll be interesting to see what further options/offerings Apple may have in store. I think this is a really bad move for Netflix. There are a number of options for people now and that extra fee will make the decision easy for them. Had they done it via the lobster effect and not hiked it so much at one time, people may have been ok with it. Seems a poor decision.
Re: I SPLIT [SPIT] on your grave?!.....uh oh, Netflix just raised their rates AND.....
Date: July 12, 2011 01:03PM
If Redbox ever had anything in stock, they might be an alternative in this area. To me Redbox is a complete waste of time. Every single time we've tried to use them we've searched several locations and never found a movie it had that I wanted to watch.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 12, 2011 01:10PM
There is no inflation.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 12, 2011 01:11PM
what a load of crap. i have to say i'm either going to drop it completely or drop one or the other. I've rather enjoyed renting my one movie at a time and letting my daughter enjoy her cartoons streaming. I wish I could just arbitrarily double my salary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 01:29PM by bazookaman.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 12, 2011 01:15PM
I assume the "DVD" plan includes Blu-ray? I would (strongly) argue that it shouldn't - a DVD is an entirely different item than a Blu-ray.

It is what it is.
Date: July 12, 2011 01:27PM
blu-ray has always been extra.

Posted by: Trouble
Date: July 12, 2011 01:27PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I assume the "DVD" plan includes Blu-ray? I would (strongly) argue that it shouldn't - a DVD is an entirely different item than a Blu-ray.

BR is @ $1 - $2 more per disk allotment per month. Adding BR to a 1 disk per month plan is $2 per month. Adding BR to a 2 disk per month plan is $3 and so on.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 12, 2011 01:41PM
Just as I was getting the wife to finally give up HBO (she loves the series) because she could get them on streaming while I'd get movies worth seeing. The price incentive is gone.

Bleech

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 12, 2011 01:43PM
Trouble
Cool. I never using the streaming so I'm saving money by switching to the DVD only plan.

Same here, but I am the Bizarro verzion. I never use the DVDs. (Clarification: I already had the ability to save money with the last pricing change).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 01:55PM by silvarios.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 12, 2011 01:45PM
i liked having the one DVD option. oh well, Redbox gets movies sooner anyway.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: July 12, 2011 01:48PM
Ombligo
Just as I was getting the wife to finally give up HBO (she loves the series) because she could get them on streaming while I'd get movies worth seeing. The price incentive is gone.

Bleech

Isn't HBO$10/month or more. I stopped paying for premium TV so the savings between premium TV and Netflix are still substantial.

Netflix did make a mistake in my opinion. I would argue Netflix should have given a slight discount for signing up for both services. One movie+plus unlimited streaming should have cost $13 instead of $15.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 02:00PM by silvarios.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: July 12, 2011 02:00PM
I just got the email. I knew this deal was too good to last.

I'll keep it for now. The price is just about what it was when I had a 2-dvd plan. I still think it's a good value.

Posted by: decay
Date: July 12, 2011 02:01PM
60% price increase in a down/barely moving economy.

big balls, those guys.

i'm staying at 7.99 and giving up on their DVDs, which is what they want anyway.

---
Date: July 12, 2011 02:11PM
decay
i'm staying at 7.99 and giving up on their DVDs, which is what they want anyway.

Yes. Probably the idea.
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 12, 2011 02:15PM
I haven't gotten the email yet. I rarely use the streaming at home, but my daughter uses it at college. I guess she will be doing without it, soon. There should be a discount for getting both options.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: July 12, 2011 02:18PM
rgG
There should be a discount for getting both options.

I agree.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: July 12, 2011 02:20PM
Well, I changed our plan to streaming only. It burns me because they don't offer a lot of content through streaming.

If they're going to raise rates by 60%, I would think it's only fair to put at least 60% more content on immediately.

I wonder if it was the movie/television studios putting the squeeze on them or Netflix jacking up the rates on their own.

I used to download fair amount of television episodes. Then I started watching them via Netflix. My guess is if they go too high, people will return to that practice.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: July 12, 2011 02:20PM
decay

My problem with doing that is that most of the stuff that I want to see is only available on DVD. No streaming option.

Also, Netflix doesn't let me add a "when it becomes available" item to a streaming queue the way they let a person "save" titles to a DVD queue.
Date: July 12, 2011 02:27PM
MacArtist
Well, I changed our plan to streaming only. It burns me because they don't offer a lot of content through streaming.

?????? About a fifth of the catalog is streaming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 02:30PM by silvarios.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 12, 2011 02:38PM
there's a LOT of movies missing from streaming.

we often go through a whole category and can't find one we want to watch.

---
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: July 12, 2011 02:43PM
silvarios
MacArtist

Isn't that what I was saying without giving a fractional number?

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Date: July 12, 2011 02:44PM
decay
there's a LOT of movies missing from streaming.

we often go through a whole category and can't find one we want to watch.

This discussion has been had before. Apparently silvarios is perfectly happy with the content available for streaming. While I, and others are not.

Date: July 12, 2011 03:03PM
MacArtist
Isn't that what I was saying without giving a fractional number?

Not at first blush.

MacArtist
It burns me because they don't offer a lot of content through streaming.

I read it to mean Netflix doesn't have a large streaming selection. I apparently misunderstood your point. What you meant was that the streaming selection is not as large as the DVD selection. That is true.

What confuses me is that some people are complaining that Netflix streaming doesn't work for them. Okay, that makes perfect sense, but what is the relevance of today's announcement? Why does the announcement of more expensive plans for access to both streaming and DVDs matter? Didn't the entry level DVD only plan actually get cheaper? Assuming streaming doesn't cut it, why the angst?

There are many services to choose from. There are DVD rental services. There are places like iTunes where you can rent or buy digital copies. There are places like Netflix where you can rent DVDs or stream for a flat rate, places like Amazon where you can stream for a flat rate or rent/purchase digital copies, there's places that offer free streaming with commercials, and I am sure I missed some permutation of those option. It all depends on your needs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 03:12PM by silvarios.
Posted by: MEG
Date: July 12, 2011 03:17PM
I'm bummed about this news. Any word if the streaming selection will increase with the price?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 03:19PM by MEG.
Date: July 12, 2011 03:19PM
bazookaman
This discussion has been had before. Apparently silvarios is perfectly happy with the content available for streaming. While I, and others are not.

You just posted that you use the service and now you are saying you are unhappy with it. Why use it then? There are many other services that might meet your needs better.

Perhaps some combination of YouTube (might surprise you at the amount of legal content available), Amazon Instant Video, Amazon Prime Video (no extra cost if you already have Amazon Prime), Hulu/Hulu Plus, Crackle, iTunes, etc. would prove a better fit for your streaming and/or downloading needs.

I never stated that Netflix is/was perfect, but now I can save money by not getting DVDs I don't watch. Those who only want streaming or only want DVDs are not any worse off today than yesterday. People who want both services will have to pay more, and I've already posted there should be a discount for subscribing to both. That's the biggest mistake. Price adjustments will happen, some plans will get cheaper, some will get more expensive. But why not mitigate the increase with a little bundling love?
Posted by: pqrst
Date: July 12, 2011 03:26PM
From what I have read, Netflix has some deals with studios (for streaming) which are going to expire (or have) which means Netflix's costs have changed. This may account for part of the cost restructuring. [www.turnto23.com]
Date: July 12, 2011 03:28PM
I'm curious, who here has cable TV yet thinks $16/mo for Netflix is too expensive?

Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: July 12, 2011 03:49PM
From the turnto23.com site:

"Pachter predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012"

Holy crap, that's a lot of money...

Jeff
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: July 12, 2011 03:55PM
pqrst
From what I have read, Netflix has some deals with studios (for streaming) which are going to expire (or have) which means Netflix's costs have changed. This may account for part of the cost restructuring. [www.turnto23.com]

Now they are streaming material from Criterion and I expect they have to pay more for that.

Posted by: macbeergeek2
Date: July 12, 2011 04:00PM
I dropped the DVD service about 6 months ago, as I found I was holding them WAY too long before watching them. The streaming-only service has worked well for us since we now have 6 or 7 devices in the house that can stream Netflix (as little as a year ago we had no streaming devices in the house at all), plus I have my in-laws connected to our account, streaming through their Wii.

On occasion, my wife, daughter, and myself were all watching streaming content from Netflix at the same time, from different devices in the house (wife from the Roku box, daughter from her X-box Live, me from my WD Live Plus box).

Yeah, even though their streaming selection isn't anywhere near what the DVD selection is, I found that I was downloading (from other sources) most of the movies and TV shows that I had been previously getting from them on DVDs. So fortunately, their pricing change won't affect us.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 12, 2011 04:12PM
What gets me is that you can't have the 1 or or 2 per month limited with streaming. So they are not really "separated" from each other. On the other hand, I can cancel my DVD plan and open a new one. I have 2 cards, 2 email addresses, etc.

I use Redbox for new releases, and Netflix for "the long tail"

My last 3 DVD rentals were "The Ruttles" "Superman 2 The Richard Donner Cut" and "Babylon5: Thirdspace"
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 12, 2011 04:30PM
I'll opt to dump streaming if it comes to it. I need captions/subtitles and not enough of their online offerings include that.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 12, 2011 04:47PM
Rolando

I use Redbox for new releases, and Netflix for "the long tail"

Nice article. Thanks
Posted by: bik
Date: July 12, 2011 05:29PM
My monthly price is actually going down.

Netflix

Your current $48.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 7 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $37.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $45.98 a month ($7.99 + $37.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: July 12, 2011 05:29PM
Bastages, I have 4 out and streaming. 50% increase!
Posted by: volcs0
Date: July 12, 2011 05:41PM
Wow. This is too bad. I've been a Netflix member since they started.... not a very nice way to treat a local customer.

We loved our plan - 1 out and unlimited streaming. That is too much to pay per month for us, though. Too bad.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 12, 2011 05:52PM
My bill will be going up to nearly $20 dollars a month and I'm too lazy to stop 'em. I could use the extra money too. Electronic hoarding.
Posted by: Pam
Date: July 12, 2011 06:17PM
This is the end for me too. I've been with them from the beginning, 4 out and later included streaming. For the money I can do without or rent/stream elsewhere.

I too am of the opinion that their streaming catalogue stinks. It's basically only good for when there's zilch on TV and we're tired of watching our own catalogue.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 12, 2011 06:33PM
silvarios
MacArtist

A fifth = 20%... not a lot.

It is what it is.
Date: July 12, 2011 09:16PM
I can do math. 20% is quite a bit actually. Checked the streaming catalogue of other services lately?
Date: July 12, 2011 09:42PM
Catzilla
Bastages, I have 4 out and streaming. 50% increase!

I thought the old price was $27.99. The new price is $29.98. $1.99 increase?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 09:55PM by silvarios.
Date: July 12, 2011 09:45PM
Pam
This is the end for me too. I've been with them from the beginning, 4 out and later included streaming. For the money I can do without or rent/stream elsewhere.

I too am of the opinion that their streaming catalogue stinks. It's basically only good for when there's zilch on TV and we're tired of watching our own catalogue.

Again, I'm confused. Wasn't the old price for 4 unlimited plus streaming only $1.99 less?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 09:56PM by silvarios.
Date: July 12, 2011 09:50PM
vision63
My bill will be going up to nearly $20 dollars a month and I'm too lazy to stop 'em. I could use the extra money too. Electronic hoarding.

I don't understand. None of the plans should see a $20 increase. I thought the biggest jump was $6.

Is there a misunderstanding with the new pricing tiers? Looks like all the DVD plans have gone down a little in price, but streaming has become a $7.99 addition regardless of plan. I'd double check your current rate and then compare it to the new plans to see the exact change in service. The one at a time is the hardest hit by the increase.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 12, 2011 10:15PM
silvarios
vision63

I don't understand. None of the plans should see a $20 increase. I thought the biggest jump was $6.

Is there a misunderstanding with the new pricing tiers? Looks like all the DVD plans have gone down a little in price, but streaming has become a $7.99 addition regardless of plan. I'd double check your current rate and then compare it to the new plans to see the exact change in service. The one at a time is the hardest hit by the increase.

No, my total will be $19 something. For years I paid $21 dollars then they lowered it to $16 something. Then it went up again. I reduced to 2 dvd's out at a time and now it's gonna go back up. $20 dollars a month is still a lot less than what I was paying when I abandoned the Blockbuster up the hill. I'm ok with it.
Date: July 12, 2011 10:25PM
Ah…your total will be nearly $20. Right. I was really confused for a moment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020