advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Advice wanted: treating dogs for fleas?
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: July 24, 2011 05:16PM
Just discovered that at least one of our dogs has fleas. Years ago, we had treated them with Frontline Plus (as a preventative), but stopped because they never had fleas - our area seemed to be flea free.

Of course, that's all changed as of today! So, the advice I would like:

1. What is your preferred flea preventative of choice?
2. Best/least expensive places to order from online?

I've been doing my best to Google, but it's getting frustrating and I've still not found any great options.

Thanks in advance!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Advice wanted: treating dogs for fleas?
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 24, 2011 05:21PM
My dog was literally SWARMING (after leaving her for an extended time with friends) and Frontline Advantage took care of it almost immediately. Never found another flea on her since...
Date: July 24, 2011 05:27PM
fauch
My dog was literally SWARMING (after leaving her for an extended time with friends) and Frontline Advantage took care of it almost immediately. Never found another flea on her since...

According to their site, Frontline Plus says it will kill 100% of fleas within 12 hrs.

Now if I could just find out where to order it! The Google results I've gotten have been virtually worthless.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 24, 2011 05:43PM
I know some on here don't like Advantix but it works better than Frontline on "our" dog.

Grateful11
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 24, 2011 05:47PM
Stephanie
According to their site, Frontline Plus says it will kill 100% of fleas within 12 hrs.
Sorry I meant Frontline PLUS...
Posted by: flareslow
Date: July 24, 2011 05:48PM
B & M Tractor Supply and online
B & M WalMart and WalMart.com

If you want it today go B&M.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2011 05:49PM by flareslow.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: July 24, 2011 05:52PM
Frontline is available at most farms stores (I just got some at my local one) You can order online from Dr.'s Foster & Smith.
The patent expired on the Frontline formula and now Sentry is now making FiproGuard, a knockoff version that is a little cheaper.
Uses the same active ingredients (fipronil and (S)-methoprene)

[www.drsfostersmith.com]

[www.drsfostersmith.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2011 05:53PM by lafinfil.
Posted by: flareslow
Date: July 24, 2011 05:53PM
Found this:

Jeffers
Date: July 24, 2011 06:01PM
Thank you guys for the info! I'll look into all of it. Grateful11 - do you know what the reasons are for not liking Advantix? I'm really open to anything. I just want something that will be effective, and I'm truly not aware of the pros and cons of one treatment vs. another.

I should have also mentioned that we're lucky enough to have one last dose of Frontline Plus for each doggie (3). So, I am not tied to B&M stores. In fact, because I work full-time AND commute at least 2.5 hrs a day, I'd prefer online stores, because it's a PITA for me to run errands!

Thanks again for all the info - keep it coming!

One store we've ordered from in the past, is [www.kvsupply.com] . At the time, they were the least expensive place I could find for heartworm meds.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: July 24, 2011 06:19PM
The patent for Frontline ran out back in March or May and Wal-Mart carries the generic (just now popping up in stores) of 'Pet Armor Plus' (I'm pretty sure that is the name) for like $25...same exact thing as Frontline.

Found it: [www.petarmor.com]

I am going through a similar issue with my two dogs and cats...never had them in several years, but somehow, this hot Summer, they got'em. I ended up getting this and it has worked great so far.

The nice thing about this version is the application: you don't need to string it from shoulder-to-tail...just apply the entire content onto the back of the shoulders in one location.

I also grabbed a couple of bottles of Hartz Flea/Carpet powder (like $4 each) and have utilized that in pet-traffic areas and it worked immediately where I had some fleas jumping up on me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2011 06:22PM by onthedownlow.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 24, 2011 06:22PM
I use Advantix and I've found that I can do just as well at Amazon as I can anywhere else WITH the caveat that I have Amazon Prime, so as long as I take care to buy from Amazon or a seller who fulfills through Amazon, there's no shipping. My experience is that some of the really inexpensive places get their money by charging an arm and a leg for shipping.

I thought Frontline worked just as well as Advantix and at this point can't recall why I switched. My guess is going to be the prices at the time.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 24, 2011 06:38PM
I've been using Frontline Plus from petfriendlyshop.com. $29.99 for 12 month supply for my 20lb pup. Ticks are more of a problem and he is tick/flea free. Read info on the site as to why my order can be so inexpensive.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: vicrock
Date: July 24, 2011 07:00PM
Costco and Sam's club also carry suitable options, if you are a member.
Date: July 24, 2011 07:16PM
Thanks for all the info - definitely some interesting options that I would have never thought of.

Question vicrock - I looked at Costco today but didn't see any flea meds. Where are they located (usually) - I looked in the pet food/beds/etc. area?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 24, 2011 08:43PM
Stephanie,

Fleas on a pet also means fleas elsewhere in the home. You need to deal with the fleas on the dog but absolutely need to treat _all_ of the dog's bedding and any furniture said pooch likes to lounge upon. If the dog likes laying on your bed, you need to wash all of the linens in hot water. Even consider washing the mattress pad, too. Fleas get around and get around quickly and their numbers increase quickly, too.

While fleas aren't as tough to deal with as, for the sake of discussion, bed bugs, they are a definite nuisance and must be dealt with appropriately. If I was in your position, I'd be on the phone with an exterminator and have him/her treat your home. Flea treatments aren't that expensive and definitely well worth it, IMO. If nothing else, it will prevent what could be a minor infestation from becoming a serious problem. Or, you can buy the same treatments they use and do it yourself. Either way, I would consider a full scale treatment if only to ensure you get every last one of them.

Search the Internet for methods of testing for fleas around the house. They'll tell you whether or not they've gotten everywhere. You may not even realize they've jumped off the pooch and have gotten elsewhere until you've got a bigger than nuisance size infestation.

Robert
Date: July 24, 2011 09:22PM
Thanks Robert - we're already addressing those issues. Luckily, only about half the house is carpeted...and half the carpeted area is off limits to the dogs (and rarely used).

We've spent all afternoon washing bedding & the dog beds are next on the list! [edit: all 3 dogs also got bathed & dosed with Frontline Plus, too] Tomorrow, my boyfriend will be investigating ways to eradicate them from the carpet.

We recently took the dogs camping, and I'm wondering if they caught the fleas while we were there. We spent a LOT of time outside with them.

Of the three dogs, we've only seen fleas on one - she's an australian shepherd mix - very fluffy, long fur. I'm just assuming all 3 dogs have fleas, and we'll be acting accordingly.

I'm really at a loss for how they got these. We're in the middle of the desert (and yes, I know that fleas live in the desert, too)...but their dog run in the back yard is absolutely barren (no grass, no weeds, nothing but bare dirt). The rest of the back yard is pretty barren too - thanks to lack of disposable income for landscaping!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2011 09:25PM by Stephanie.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 25, 2011 07:37AM
Stephanie
Thank you guys for the info! I'll look into all of it. Grateful11 - do you know what the reasons are for not liking Advantix? I'm really open to anything. I just want something that will be effective, and I'm truly not aware of the pros and cons of one treatment vs. another.

I should have also mentioned that we're lucky enough to have one last dose of Frontline Plus for each doggie (3). So, I am not tied to B&M stores. In fact, because I work full-time AND commute at least 2.5 hrs a day, I'd prefer online stores, because it's a PITA for me to run errands!

Thanks again for all the info - keep it coming!

One store we've ordered from in the past, is [www.kvsupply.com] . At the time, they were the least expensive place I could find for heartworm meds.

Someone on here or somewhere see mentioned that Advatix has something in it that some dogs don't tolerate.

We get most of our stuff from here.

[www.drsfostersmith.com]

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2011 07:38AM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 25, 2011 09:38AM
Stephanie,

The pooch likely got them from the camping trip. However, that isn't necessarily the case. Fleas transport easily so they can be found everywhere! If money is tight, you can purchase the appropriate tools for getting rid of the fleas from do it yourself pest control shops. I've bought items for dealing with a variety of pests from [www.domyownpestcontrol.com]. The prices are fair and they sell high quality materials.

They offer the following for controlling fleas:

[www.domyownpestcontrol.com]

The kind of tools sold by sites like this isn't the kind of stuff you purchase at places like Home Depot. It's more powerful and you need to take great care and precautions when using it.

Fleas get everywhere. They're small but still visible to the naked eye. They look like grains of pepper from a distance. They are hard shelled and don't crush easy either. And, they jump. Far. Especially considering their tiny size.

Bear in mind that I am assuming the worst and that the dog has spread the fleas around and they've gotten that much farther on their own. In the case of bugs, I always assume the worst. You need to eradicate them from the carpet, behind, on and under beds, behind on and under furniture, behind, on and under sofas including removing the cushions and spraying underneath them, too. Everywhere!

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020