advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Running Lion on multiple Macs, $30 each?
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: July 24, 2011 07:28PM
I Can't seem to find any info,,,
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Running Lion on multiple Macs, $30 each?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 24, 2011 07:32PM
On any Mac on the same App Store account--non commercial
Posted by: wickedsteve
Date: July 24, 2011 07:36PM
I purchased Lion fro the App store on my MBP. Downloaded and installed then I went to my wife's MBP. She never uses the App store. I simply logged into the App store with the same account and downloaded Lion again on her MBP, it showed up as purchased with no additional charges.

Edit: Also if you make a backup or install disc before installing Lion you can simply copy the installer to the next Mac or use the install disc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2011 07:38PM by wickedsteve.
Posted by: Trouble
Date: July 24, 2011 07:39PM
[arstechnica.com]

"I doubt any of these things are officially supported by Apple, but the point is that there's nothing exotic about the Lion installer. Like all past versions of Mac OS X, Lion has no serial number, no product activation, and no DRM of any kind. In fact, the Mac App Store's licensing policy is even more permissive than past releases of Mac OS X. Here's an excerpt from Lion's license agreement:

If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/) ("Usage Rules"), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

(i) to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server ("Mac Computer") that you own or control;

The references to Snow Leopard are a bit confusing, but keep in mind that you need Snow Leopard to purchase and download Lion for the first time. I suspect the license agreement will be updated once Lion has been out for a while.

There's also another interesting clause in the license, from that same section:

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software.
Putting it all together, Apple says you're allowed to run up to three copies of Lion—one real, two inside virtual machines—on every Mac that you own, all for the low, low price of $29. Not a bad deal."
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: July 24, 2011 07:44PM
Well, I have two Macs that are upgradable, for some reason they are looking for a CC confirmation when I log in to upgrade the 2nd..
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 24, 2011 08:05PM
The first time you log into App store or iTunes on a new device it needs your CC 3 or 4 digits, so that someone that is not you doesn't get authorized if they only have you iTunes Password
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: July 24, 2011 08:23PM
wickedsteve

Edit: Also if you make a backup or install disc before installing Lion you can simply copy the installer to the next Mac or use the install disc.

Which is kinda what i did. I bought on my iMac. Burned the installer to a dvd. Installed on a MBP using the dvd. After that seemingly went well, I went back and did the install of Lion on my iMac today. All is well. If I wasn't supposed to have done this, I'm sorry Apple. Please no one tell on me.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 24, 2011 10:10PM
Commercial use has different licensing, but yes anything in the Mac app store allows for installation on all your non commercial Macs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2011 10:11PM by silvarios.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 24, 2011 10:16PM
Parsing the info reported on ars above and elsewhere, you legally can do it 3 times and they don't even have to all be your Macs ("you own or control").

I pretty much control (admin) my parent's Mac when I'm over there and had no issue with using the flash drive installer on it I'd made at home from my Mac, where I downloaded it.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 24, 2011 10:29PM
Three times per Mac. One host and two guest OSes.
Posted by: Shakes
Date: July 24, 2011 11:43PM
So how does this work? I'm buying a new Macbook Pro next month and obviously it'll have lion installed. Will that Lion now download and install on all my other Macs that use that same App Store account?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 25, 2011 02:56AM
Shakes
So how does this work? I'm buying a new Macbook Pro next month and obviously it'll have lion installed. Will that Lion now download and install on all my other Macs that use that same App Store account?

My guess is that you would have to buy a copy to install on other Macs. But there must be a recovery image somewhere on the new Mac.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: July 25, 2011 04:55AM
Shakes

I say give them the $30 for the other Macs and thank (Deity of choice) you're not installing Win 7 on your machines.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 25, 2011 05:47AM
(vikm)
wickedsteve

Which is kinda what i did. I bought on my iMac. Burned the installer to a dvd. Installed on a MBP using the dvd. After that seemingly went well, I went back and did the install of Lion on my iMac today. All is well. If I wasn't supposed to have done this, I'm sorry Apple. Please no one tell on me.

The only thing Apple might cry about is a lost count on the number of downloads.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 25, 2011 11:19AM
Lux Interior
Shakes

My guess is that you would have to buy a copy to install on other Macs. But there must be a recovery image somewhere on the new Mac.

Page 2 of the ars 10.7 review (a long but very good read) describes where it is and how it works, but of course doesn't explicitly state how to copy it. [arstechnica.com]

In a nutshell,

1) Mount the hidden partition with diskutil
2) Copy the now-visible volume, presumably using a method similar to creating a flash drive or DVD installer.

I say give them the $30 for the other Macs and thank (Deity of choice) you're not installing Win 7 on your machines.

No argument there. (Although I found Windows 7 to be really easy to install, that is after I was able to "explain" to the PC what I wanted.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020