advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Lion copying files caution . .
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: July 29, 2011 02:00PM
If you frequently drag and drop files from one drive to another to copy them for backup purposes, Lion has changed from Snow Leopard & there is kind of a 'got cha' there now.

In Snow Leopard I might have 300 or more pictures in a folder, add a few more and the select them all and drag to an external drive that had the original 300 in there. I would just be adding the new ones to the external drive. In S/L I would get this Dialog box:

with an "Applies to all" box if there was more than one. I would select the "Don't Replace" and the applies to all - I just wanted to copy the new ones over.

In Lion, If I have the two following folders on different drives -

and select the 4 files on the left and drag to the drive on the right I get this dialog box -

if I select keep, here is what I get in the folder in drive 2 (on the right)

it actually renames one of the "File 1" to "File 5".

If I do the same operation (drag the 4 files from the left to the right) & click "Replace"

I get what you would expect - all 4 files copied over to drive 2.

I'm just bring this up as a caution for those who do a lot of copying like the above. The above example is simple but if you copy 1000 items to a folder that has 900 of them, you might be in for a shock.

Fred
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Lion copying files caution . .
Posted by: Black
Date: July 29, 2011 02:06PM
Hmmm-- I like it.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 29, 2011 02:07PM
actually RENAMES them, not just appends a _Copy or _1 to them ?

Oooh, that's EVIL.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 29, 2011 02:12PM
Hmmm....I don't like that at all. I think appending something to the end is better. Who's to say I wanted the existing files to be put at the end of the list? What if they are all in some sort of order?

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: July 29, 2011 02:19PM
I think your test may actually only work this way because you have sequentially numbered files of the same name. Generally in Lion, when you elect to 'Keep Both Files,' Lion names the existing file 'yourdocument' in the destination directory 'yourdocument copy' and copies the file 'yourdocument' to the destination without modifying the name.

Your example is an interesting exception to the rule, however.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 29, 2011 02:21PM
cbelt3
actually RENAMES them, not just appends a _Copy or _1 to them ?

Oooh, that's EVIL.

agree smiley

wtf?!!??
Posted by: olnacl
Date: July 29, 2011 02:22PM
Just thinking, suppose you have two files named File1 that are NOT identical. Why would you want the "new " File 1 to be named File1 Copy? It's not a copy.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: July 29, 2011 02:30PM
bazookaman
Hmmm....I don't like that at all. I think appending something to the end is better. Who's to say I wanted the existing files to be put at the end of the list? What if they are all in some sort of order?

Agreed!

Thanks for posting that info, OP.
Date: July 29, 2011 02:38PM
olnacl
Just thinking, suppose you have two files named File1 that are NOT identical. Why would you want the "new " File 1 to be named File1 Copy? It's not a copy.

Lion renames the 'old' file with the 'copy' addition, that is the file already in the destination directory.

And this weird renaming only occurs when you have files that are numbered sequentially as 'filename XX' - it does not occur with normal sequential file numbering, as in image files.

To be clearer, if you have a group of files in Folder A:

IMG_021.jpg
IMG_022.jpg
IMG_023.jpg
IMG_024.jpg

And you want to copy/backup them to Folder B, which currently has:

IMG_021.jpg
IMG_022.jpg

If you select 'Keep Both Copies' then Folder B will contain:

IMG_021.jpg
IMG_021 copy.jpg
IMG_022.jpg
IMG_022 copy.jpg
IMG_023.jpg
IMG_024.jpg

Is this making sense?

rj
AKA
Posted by: MEG
Date: July 29, 2011 02:41PM
I've noticed the change buy on my system when "keep both files" is selected I got (using your example):

pic001 copy.jpg
pic001.jpg
pic002.jpg
pic003.jpg
pic004.jpg
Date: July 29, 2011 02:43PM
MEG
I've noticed the change buy on my system when "keep both files" is selected I got (using your example):

pic001 copy.jpg
pic001.jpg
pic002.jpg
pic003.jpg
pic004.jpg

Using whose example?

rj
AKA
Posted by: billb
Date: July 29, 2011 02:57PM
so - if you want to update ( like you used to) and pick 'replace' you have to wait while ALL the files actually get replaced, rather than just wait for the new ones to be added ?
That could take forever with a camera card with 1,000 huge images on it.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: July 29, 2011 03:20PM
On mine, I ran a test and it added "copy" to a filename that didn't have a number on it (ex. Folder B now has a "file" and "file copy" in it).

When I added something with a number like "File2, File3, etc." and there was already something with that name, it created a file name of "File3 2".

I'd prefer all of mine have the number added to them like example 2. I don't want something called "copy" when it could be two totally different files that just happened to have the same name. This is going to be a potential problem for me if I forget it does all this.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: July 29, 2011 03:37PM
billb
so - if you want to update ( like you used to) and pick 'replace' you have to wait while ALL the files actually get replaced, rather than just wait for the new ones to be added ?

That's the exact operation I was trying to avoid and it was easy to avoid in Snow. But in Loin the only way I can avoid it is to sort the files by date added (or modified) and select the ones that float to the top & copy those.

I haven't found any other work around.

Fred
Date: July 29, 2011 04:43PM
Fred_Also
billb

That's the exact operation I was trying to avoid and it was easy to avoid in Snow. But in Loin the only way I can avoid it is to sort the files by date added (or modified) and select the ones that float to the top & copy those.

I haven't found any other work around.

Fred

The workaround is wonky. You can use the Finder's new 'merge folders' feature to do this, but the source and destination folders need to have the same name...

So let's say your camera card stores images in a folder called 'IMGFolder' and you want to copy just the new files to your hard drive. You'd need a folder on your drive called 'IMGFolder' containing the images you've already copied over. Then you option-click the camera card IMGFolder, and drag it to the directory that contains IMGFolder on your drive. Finder will give you the option to Stop, Keep Both, or Replace All. If you choose Keep Both, only the new files will be copied over.

This system works pretty well, but it's a little awkward. If you have a picture called IMG_020.jpg on your camera card, and a DIFFERENT picture called IMG_020.jpg on your hard drive, Finder won't give you the option to merge, only to Stop or Replace. So you can't accidentally overwrite distinct files that have the same names just by merging, which is a good thing.

rj
AKA
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 29, 2011 07:14PM
I'm seeing traditional behavior for folders regarding attempting to move one folder to a location that already has another folder of the same name. So I guess the new "keep" option doesn't extend there.

"An older item named “untitled folder” already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the newer one you’re moving?"

(Only choices are Stop and Replace.)

And I like the new "Stop" designator instead of Cancel. I understand both, but only because I'm used to computers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 51
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020