advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Whoever taught iPhoto to count/sort is a MORON!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 03, 2011 02:38PM
So I have 246 photo's that my mom wants to use as a slide-show....

I'm trying to organize them in iPhoto (and it's all coming back to my why I LOATHE iPhoto...).

The photo's are numbered and titled thusly; 01 Tower of London.jpg, 02 Tower Bridge.jpg.

Supposedly to make it easy to "order" the pictures. The finder sorts them perfectly.... The number is ordered in numerical order.

Now trying to get them onto my Mom's iPad becomes a nightmare...
Putting them in a photo-album in iPhoto, they are no longer ordered by NUMBER... but ALPHABETICALLY by number...
So everything starting with 0 comes first... then everything starting with 1, then 2, etc. So the order goes (for example) "118, 119, 12, 120, 121".

And naturally, it won't even keep THAT order when imported to the iPad...

Someone give me the name of the person who designed iPhoto's sorting, and the person who designed the miserably bad photo organization on the iPad...
They're both dead men...
angry villagers smiley banghead smiley soapbox smiley censored smiley cursing smiley
angry villagers smiley banghead smiley soapbox smiley censored smiley cursing smiley

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Whoever taught iPhoto to count/sort is a MORON!
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: August 03, 2011 02:52PM
For years I've thought that iPhoto was one of the biggest pieces of @#$%& ever foisted upon the world by Apple & for some reason it does my heart good to have that notion confirmed by someone else.

Try to release the photos from iPhoto using whatever 3rd party software you have available then use Preview to export them to your mom's iPad.

Posted by: billb
Date: August 03, 2011 02:57PM
Even Preview can bungle numerical order .
Date: August 03, 2011 02:58PM
I've got copies of the pics separate from iPhoto... I won't let that piece of filth be my photo "organizer"... I'm just trying to find a way to get the pics ONTO THE iPAD in an order that *I* get to specify...

So far, no luck!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 03, 2011 03:22PM
Well what do y'all use to organize photos?

Grateful11
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 03, 2011 03:34PM
iPhoto lets you sort them in arbitrary order manually.

Select the photos that you want in iPhoto's thumbnail pane. From the File menu, select New Album from Selection. Now just manually put the photos in the new album in any order you wish.

Once that's done, you can use iPhoto's Batch Change feature if you wish to re-title the photos so that you can use its automatic sorting feature in other views.

[iphoto.maccreate.com]
[docs.info.apple.com]
[docs.info.apple.com]
[answers.oreilly.com]
[www.macworld.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2011 03:35PM by Article Accelerator.
Date: August 03, 2011 03:39PM
Grateful11
Well what do y'all use to organize photos?

I use folders in the Finder... in my Pictures folder.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: August 03, 2011 04:13PM
I have over 13,000 photos in iPhoto, I don't see where it's all that bad. I can't imagine trying to organize
and view over 13,000 photos inside folders.

Grateful11
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: August 03, 2011 05:39PM
Paul F.
I'm just trying to find a way to get the pics ONTO THE iPAD in an order that *I* get to specify...

I don't use iPhoto to put pics or movies onto my iPhone.

One of the device-settings in iTunes lets you choose to sync a folder from your computer to your iOS device instead of syncing from iPhoto. The first level of sub-folders show up as such in the Photos app so stuff stays organized.

Grateful11
I have over 13,000 photos in iPhoto, I don't see where it's all that bad. I can't imagine trying to organize

I organize my originals by date and event in their own folder-hierarchy before importing into iPhoto and making albums.

This way, I've got a convenient archive that I can poke through without bothering to launch iPhoto and deal with its interface, but can still use iPhoto when making slideshows and such.

'Best of both worlds.

Organizing pics in iPhoto is a matter of a quick drag-and-drop of a folder onto the iPhoto window so the hierarchy that I use outside of iPhoto is duplicated within it with very little extra work.
Posted by: MEG
Date: August 03, 2011 05:59PM
I feel your pain but the Mac didn't sort "correctly" until OS X and for a while it was only the Finder that did. As a fellow old timer, you shouldn't have left it up to chance and used 3 digits for the names ;)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 03, 2011 06:20PM
Article Accelerator
iPhoto lets you sort them in arbitrary order manually.

Select the photos that you want in iPhoto's thumbnail pane. From the File menu, select New Album from Selection. Now just manually put the photos in the new album in any order you wish.

Once that's done, you can use iPhoto's Batch Change feature if you wish to re-title the photos so that you can use its automatic sorting feature in other views.

[iphoto.maccreate.com]
[docs.info.apple.com]
[docs.info.apple.com]
[answers.oreilly.com]
[www.macworld.com]

That's great and all, but it's not the answer he's looking for. He wants iPhoto to act like the Finder, because he knows what to expect with the Finder. He doesn't want iPhoto to act like what it is, a proper database for organizing and sharing images.

(Sorry Paul but I gotta call it as I see it here, and sorting by filename is so very limiting that these sorts of issues will never reliably resolve themselves like that.)
Date: August 03, 2011 06:36PM
Y'all are ignoring that PART of the problem is that this isn't MY project (hence the decision on the file names was made before I was involved). I probably WOULD have used three digit numbers.. it's just in my habit pattern anway.

Still, I don't think it's AT ALL unreasonable to expect ANY program to be able to "sort" numbers NUMERICALLY.

I did solve the problem by manually sorting the pictures into the proper order, then importing that album into my iPad (as a test... I will be re-doing the whole thing on Mom's iPhoto, and her iPad later).

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: August 03, 2011 09:05PM
Chakravartin
Paul F.
I'm just trying to find a way to get the pics ONTO THE iPAD in an order that *I* get to specify...

I don't use iPhoto to put pics or movies onto my iPhone.

One of the device-settings in iTunes lets you choose to sync a folder from your computer to your iOS device instead of syncing from iPhoto. The first level of sub-folders show up as such in the Photos app so stuff stays organized.

Grateful11

I organize my originals by date and event in their own folder-hierarchy before importing into iPhoto and making albums.

This way, I've got a convenient archive that I can poke through without bothering to launch iPhoto and deal with its interface, but can still use iPhoto when making slideshows and such.

'Best of both worlds.

Organizing pics in iPhoto is a matter of a quick drag-and-drop of a folder onto the iPhoto window so the hierarchy that I use outside of iPhoto is duplicated within it with very little extra work.

I like that. That's something I might try. Thanks!

Grateful11
Date: August 04, 2011 01:16AM
Paul F.
Still, I don't think it's AT ALL unreasonable to expect ANY program to be able to "sort" numbers NUMERICALLY.

The Mac can sort numbers numerically. It sorts text strings (e.g. file names) textually.

I did solve the problem by manually sorting the pictures into the proper order, then importing that album into my iPad (as a test

You're welcome.
Date: August 04, 2011 07:56AM
Is there no other software worthy of using to organize photos on a Mac? What about Aperture?

Grateful11
Posted by: Felix
Date: August 04, 2011 08:51AM
Aperture is even more convoluted than iPhoto.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 04, 2011 08:53AM
Aperture is another database app, and more capable than iPhoto but that's not the point for many people. People that don't like to organize and manipulate files in databases tend to not like iPhoto, Aperature, Lightroom ... iTunes etc.

Edit: See what I mean? ^^^^^

Adobe Bridge, which comes with many of their imaging apps, is an option. It's not a database solution, more like a dark-gray Finder with tagging capability.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2011 08:54AM by deckeda.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 04, 2011 10:13AM
I can sort my imported pics from 21 days in the finder a lot faster than in iphoto. Quick, I want dsc 236 through dsc 422 ( Jan 26 6:36 AM through Jan 27 12:55 AM ) in a separate folder.
I'm going to do that one by one manually in iphoto ? I don't think so. Life's too short.
I have 9,000 pics (duplicated) and I know where every single one of them are by camera, dsc # and date.
I don't need iphoto to decide my way of remembering and storing them in the same order they were taken them all doesn't work for me.
Date: August 04, 2011 11:22AM
billb
Life's too short...I have 9,000 pics (duplicated) and I know where every single one of them are by camera, dsc # and date.

You've spent your time up front being a file clerk.

Life is too short.
Date: August 04, 2011 11:37AM
By the way, billb (and other Finder fans), how would you simultaneously sort your photos into title order and event order using the Finder? How would you both rate photos and flag specific photos in the Finder? How would you hide specific photos you don't want to deal with but don't want to Trash without removing them from their primary group?

You actually can do (or simulate) many of the things iPhoto does using the Finder but it's a painful, time-consuming exercise.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020