advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Need advice on best way to give 8-1/2 month old a bath...
Posted by: spacescape
Date: December 29, 2005 03:40PM
Hi Everyone -

I have a slight dilemma. We give our 8-1/2 month old baths in the normal bath/shower at our house. We've been doing the for about 3 (or more) months due to the fact that the baby bath just didn't work anymore (too messy in our kitchen and didn't work too well on the bathroom floor or putting it in the tub). So, either my wife put on our bathing suits and get in the bathtub with him. He's obviously big enough to just sit in the tub by himself if we only put 1-2 inches in the water. However, Mr. active kid likes to stand up (we sit him right back down) so we still get in there with him.

Life probably would be easier "if" we didn't have shower doors and a deep tub. However, this is what we have so no need to tear out the bathroom again.

Anyone have any advice on how to give a 8-1/2 month old a bath a better way than we are? Oh, and we where given a chair that hung over the side however, it didn't fit on our tub.

Thanks in advanced.

Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Need advice on best way to give 8-1/2 month old a bath...
Posted by: chopper
Date: December 29, 2005 04:07PM
Both my kids were in the tub solo--with one of us on the outside--at 6-7 months.

They do like to stand up in there. You'll try to curtail this. With my eldest we were quite succesful in making him stop standing up while in the tub.

The youngest took it as a minor point of his civil rights as an American that he could stand in the tub and pull on the tub stopper for seemingly hours, and any mention of this not being cool with his parents was reason for a march on Washington.

Your boy is ready to sit in there solo, I'll bet.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: December 29, 2005 04:17PM
spacecape,

Do you have a non-slip mat to put inside the tub? That would help prevent some unwanted slipping and sliding.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Re: Need advice on best way to give 8-1/2 month old a bath...
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 29, 2005 04:26PM
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, my parents had a bath seat for my younger brother. It had suction cups to hold it to the bottom of the tub, they strapped him in, and it kept him seated until his bath was finished. We have an old photo somewhere of him sitting in his bath seat with a strategically placed wash cloth.

I would think there must be something like that still produced today. Although the way they make things nowadays, it will probably be impossible to actually bathe the kid while he's sitting in the bath seat.

Posted by: pinkoos
Date: December 29, 2005 04:55PM
We have a jacuzzi-type tub. We put the baby tub in there (it's white and has a blue non-slide bottom), fill it with water and put our boy in there. Then, either my wife or I sit on a small stool in the jacuzzi and give him his bath that way. Works great, though the little guy does love to try and stand by pulling up on the spout. Here's a pic:

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 29, 2005 06:07PM
I let mine stand in a laundry (aka Utility) Sink and just screwed a hose and nozzle on the end. He was happy because hecould stand, I was happy because I didn't need to bend over and wife was happy because the sink had high sides.

I tried using the kitchen sink once but there was something about him sitting over the garbage disposal that made my wife nervous.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: chas_m
Date: December 29, 2005 07:49PM
When I have to give babies baths, I either use the method outlined by pinkoos (cute kid btw), or I kneel/sit/stand OUTSIDE the tub and wash/control the child from there. I'm usually dressed only in my shorts or boxer-briefs for that since I know perfectly well that I'm going to get almost as wet as the child. smiling smiley

I think if you alternate the actual scrubbing with some playtime and tickling, it's generally a good experience for all.

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Posted by: joycee
Date: December 29, 2005 08:18PM
Here's some info on various equipment you can use: [www.babycentre.co.uk]

When my baby (he's 18 now...) was a baby, we used a ring to corral him - something like this [store.yahoo.com] but ours wasn't as "fancy".

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´How about if you greased them up first? Are chihuahua's cooperative pack hunters? ~TheCaber
Date: December 30, 2005 07:18AM
Thanks for the comments... I will pass them off to my wife...

Bill
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: December 30, 2005 09:11AM
Little Poochie had a similar bath seat to the one joycee posted above. Here is a photo of him using it on Christmas Eve, 2003, when he was 8 months old:

It worked great. He had no desire to stand up (unlike now, where he loves to empty the contents of my tub on the bathroom floor), and he stayed in one place.

I definitely recommend it.
Anonymous User
Date: December 30, 2005 10:37AM
We used the same kind as the_poochies with both our boys. 7 and 2 it worked great.

Carm
Date: January 18, 2006 09:25AM
Just to follow up... We put Declan in the tub by himself about 2-3 weeks ago and he's fine... Actually, he seems to be less active when we aren't in there for some reason...

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 58
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020