advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Found out why I'd kept Adobe Reader around
Posted by: Winston
Date: August 08, 2011 04:46PM
I haven't used Adobe Reader in years. But today I got a file that Preview couldn't open properly, which opened fine in Adobe Reader.

The file showed up in my email as "USA" (no extension) but in Adobe Reader as
" USA.pdf (SECURED) "

I assume the "secured" part was what made Adobe Reader necessary. The document info on security says it can be printed and copied from.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Found out why I'd kept Adobe Reader around
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 08, 2011 04:52PM
The cost isn't worth the benefit.
Posted by: volcs0
Date: August 08, 2011 05:01PM
I keep Acrobat Pro around for several reasons. It is easier to merge PDFs than Preview, IMO. I also think the annotation functions are better. Creating a TOC is easier for me in Acrobat. And if I want to redact something, it is also easier in Acrobat.
Adobe Reader, I don't use much, except when there is a fillable form that will only open in Reader.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2011 05:01PM by volcs0.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 08, 2011 05:08PM
Article Accelerator

I too have had cases where Preview cannot read it, and Adobe Reader can. This happened with the PDF downloaded tuition billing statement from one of our state universities. The benefit of being able to read the bill is unfortunately worth the cost.
Date: August 08, 2011 05:12PM
Article Accelerator

Not sure what you mean. Acrobat Reader is a 245 MB file, so it takes up a little space. But it's not linked to Safari or set to open PDFs on its own. So it just sits there. I needed it today to read the file I was sent.

My usual PDF editing program, PDFPen Pro couldn't open it either.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: decay
Date: August 08, 2011 05:12PM
Article Accelerator

free?

---
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 08, 2011 06:00PM
AA knows it's free. Now is the joke funnier?

At any rate, Adobe Acrobat and the Distiller engine don't always make standard PDF-compatible documents. It would be ironic if Adobe cared. But as it is, so long as Reader can open them "nobody" cares.
Date: August 08, 2011 06:09PM
In this case I don't think it was because the document didn't meet PDF standards. I think it's that Adobe Reader could unlock the document properly, and the other programs couldn't. I viewed the document content with TexEdit when I was trying to figure out what it was, and it appeared to be encrypted.

If I wanted to distribute locked or password protected documents that might be important.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: August 08, 2011 06:13PM
deckeda
AA knows it's free. Now is the joke funnier?

Actually, I did get a bit of a laugh out of it. The document (indirectly) deals with cost/benefit, and the topic it dealt with (S&P's downrating of U.S. debt) is controversial on a cost/benefit basis.

And I tend to play the straight man around here anyway.

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2011 06:15PM by Winston.
Date: August 08, 2011 06:44PM
AA posted that without knowing the content of the PDF.

---
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 08, 2011 06:48PM
Winston
In this case I don't think it was because the document didn't meet PDF standards. I think it's that Adobe Reader could unlock the document properly, and the other programs couldn't. I viewed the document content with TexEdit when I was trying to figure out what it was, and it appeared to be encrypted.

If I wanted to distribute locked or password protected documents that might be important.

I used to get electronic paystubs in password-protected PDFs. Any version of Preview since at least Tiger could open them after inputting the password.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 08, 2011 07:17PM
AA posted that without knowing the content of the PDF.

Um, ok.

AA made one joke, and Winston got that and an additional laugh as well.

An unintentional TwoFer.

For free.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 08, 2011 07:38PM
Ah, but was the benefit worth the cost?

And all I thought was: Article Accelerator is psychic. (Or maybe that it was just a little ironic.)

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 08, 2011 07:42PM
Winston
Not sure what you mean. Acrobat Reader is a 245 MB file, so it takes up a little space. But it's not linked to Safari or set to open PDFs on its own. So it just sits there. I needed it today to read the file I was sent.

I agree with Article Accelerator, Adobe Reader is a piece of crap. Full of security holes and had (still has??) one of the most painful update processes ever. I hated Reader on Windows, Linux, and OS X.
Date: August 08, 2011 07:49PM
deckeda
Winston

I used to get electronic paystubs in password-protected PDFs. Any version of Preview since at least Tiger could open them after inputting the password.

This one did not require a password to open. But in text a text reader it appears to be encrypted text. I could be wrong about that - it's just what it looks like to me. The document security info does include
"Encryption Level: 128-bit RC4"
and says it's password protected, but does not require a "Document Open Password". There's a whole list of stuff that's not allowed, from "Changing the Document" to "Document Assembly".

So maybe it's password protected from being changed, but can be read by Adobe Reader? It appears to me that some level of decryption has to take place to display the document. Perhaps that's what Preview can't handle.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 08, 2011 08:02PM
Winston
Article Accelerator

It just sits there...and phones home regularly. It takes up a huge amount of disk space for its sparse functionality. It clutters your system's libraries. It exposes your system to significant security risks. And for users who don't bother to configure it, i.e. most users, it interferes with built-in functionality.
Date: August 08, 2011 08:10PM
Article Accelerator
It just sits there...and phones home regularly. It takes up a huge amount of disk space for its sparse functionality. It clutters your system's libraries. It exposes your system to significant security risks. And for users who don't bother to configure it, i.e. most users, it interferes with built-in functionality.

Does it do all that if it's not open and not set to "help" Safari (other than disk space and clutter)?

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 08, 2011 08:18PM
Winston
Does it do all that if it's not open and not set to "help" Safari (other than disk space and clutter)?

To some agree, yes. I haven't used the Mac installer in a little while, perhaps the Reader team got things cleaned up finally, but in the old days the installer was quite messy, the application did pose security risks every time you opened a PDF with it, and the update process (my point, not AA's) was terrible.
Date: August 08, 2011 08:29PM
Sounds like its time for me to reinstall Little Snitch (I have a license, but lost the install in some transition somewhere).

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 08, 2011 09:01PM
I have a version of reader somewhere (I think it's 5.0) that would let you read excrypted pdfs and save them without encryption without knowing the password.

It sure came in handy when I was dealing with a messed up pdf many years ago.

Talk about software that should have been called 'Swiss Cheese!'
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 08, 2011 09:34PM
I'm sure Adobe is hatching a sinister plot, collecting user info to perhaps sell more software. More "apps" as everyone calls 'em now. Them bastardos are gonna ram CS6 up our butts then sell the internal data to the Al Qaeda.
Date: August 09, 2011 09:47PM
You know you can turn off Adobe auto updates...

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 482
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020