advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Must be doin' it wrong: Can't seem to print grayscale in Lion
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 09, 2011 12:43PM
Previously, if I was low on one of the colors the print job would stop and complain until I replaced color ink. As a workaround I could print in grayscale to at least get a black and white image.

But today I got an image I desaturated in Pixelmator 1.6.7 and also selected the grayscale checkmark in the print dialog for my Canon i960 printer. Comes out using ink other than ONLY the black ink cart. Same thing happens when printing from Preview.

How I know is several inks were low and the image came out in a weird color balance---without a dialog telling me my colored inks were low. The black cart is fine. Replenishing the various color ink carts gave me a "grayscale" image once again.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Must be doin' it wrong: Can't seem to print grayscale in Lion
Posted by: wickedsteve
Date: August 09, 2011 01:16PM
Are you using a cheap postscript printer with USB or ethernet support just for proofing magazine ads in B&W?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 09, 2011 01:44PM
No, but I wish I was. Then I'd invite Otto over.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 09, 2011 02:33PM
i960.... I have one of those, used very little, wonder if it's worth to buy some generic ink for it or if I should just toss it to eWaste bin
Posted by: Don C
Date: August 09, 2011 08:30PM
"i960.... I have one of those, used very little, wonder if it's worth to buy some generic ink for it ..."

I have had at least three Canon printers stop working after using Carrot brand replacement cartridges. I don't know if other generic brands work but I don't intend to find out. It cost me far more to buy new printers (admittedly BETTER printers) than I saved by not buying Canon brand ink.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: August 09, 2011 09:26PM
I don't have a Canon driver so I can't check, but even with Grayscale selected there may another place where you can choose Rich Blacks, or how Neutral Grays are printed. Most people prefer the look of an inkjet grayscale photo if it's actually using 4 colors to produce supposedly neutral grays.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020