advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
UN-FREAKING BELIEVEABLE ! The State of Ohio has just released MY personal information to the world !
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 09, 2011 09:43PM
An ambulance chasing lawyer just sent me the 'copy of my accident report'. Which was released to the world as a 'public record'.

This document contains my:
Name
Address
Phone numbers (work and cell and home)
Driver's License number
Birthday.
Car license plate number
Car make and model and year.

I'm amazed they just didn't throw in my social security number and bank accounts while they're at it.

Oh, THIS is SO going to my state and federal representatives. My GOD !
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: UN-FREAKING BELIEVEABLE ! The State of Ohio has just released MY personal information to the world !
Posted by: Black
Date: August 09, 2011 09:51PM
cbelt-- the info doesn't show up in the post above.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Re: UN-FREAKING BELIEVEABLE ! The State of Ohio has just released MY personal information to the world !
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 09, 2011 09:54PM
I'm a little surprised that you're surprised...

And no, it ain't right...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2011 09:54PM by Paul F..
Date: August 09, 2011 09:55PM
Black..

Thanks. jest smiley I needed that. I'm getting all worked up and I should be getting some rest.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 09, 2011 10:02PM
Hey-just because my office contacted you and offered to help is no reason to get excited, "cbelt3."
Date: August 09, 2011 10:05PM
deckeda- the letter your office (Dewey, Cheathem, and Howe, right ?) said I'm not supposed to talk to any attorney. So I ain't saying nothin ! censored smiley big grin smiley
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 09, 2011 10:12PM
This is information that's always been available via public records.

Easily found if you know where to look.

Now, with commonplace technology, it's just easier.

In the case of a collision, why would any of this information be private? Public road, incident investigated by a public authority paid by public funds.

Yeah, it would be nice if ambulance chasers (which have typically always been lawyers) couldn't get that info unless hired by one of the involved parties.

When you report a collision, there is mandatory information that must be provided. You don't have to give your phone numbers. And I'd *never* give my cell phone number to somebody unless I wanted them to use it, any more than I'd provide an email address.

Others can mail me.

It would be of interest to now the exact procedure used to get your info from the police. They could probably tell you how that was accomplished.

Good luck.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 10, 2011 05:27AM
In many states the same information is available simply by providing the clerks office with a Freedom of Information request and a license plate number(s). No accident needed. The records are considered public as they were established using public funds.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 10, 2011 05:54AM
I understand that this is a public record, but why is the DL and birth date in there? seems like in invitation to ID theft.

If they want to make the record public, stick with name, AGE (not exact birth date), license plate, car, i.e. stuff that anyone could see, but omit DL, birthdate, cell phone, etc.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 10, 2011 06:19AM
My understanding is that more than a few state DMVs are actively marketing lists for commercial purposes, no FOI needed.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: August 10, 2011 07:21AM
Ombligo
In many states the same information is available simply by providing the clerks office with a Freedom of Information request and a license plate number(s). No accident needed. The records are considered public as they were established using public funds.

This can't be a good thing...
Date: August 10, 2011 09:07AM
SD-

Hey.. that was VERY useful. I wonder if Ohio is violating the Federal law ?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Hm.... I shall review.

[epic.org]

Hmmm... Do I call the FBI to have my State arrested for releasing my personal information for marketing purposes without my specific consent ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 09:11AM by cbelt3.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 10, 2011 09:24AM
Naturally, my first thought in reading about the DPPA (thanks cbelt3) was "how could that possibly be constitutional?" (Federal restrictions on state highway laws usually must be accomplished through bribery, rather than mandate). Imagine my surprise to read the rather tortured reasoning in Reno v. Condon, 528 U.S. 141 (2000), where a Rehnquist opinion found that drivers license information was an "article of interstate commerce" and that Congress could therefore tell the states what to do!

Now this is fascinating stuff to us constitutional-law buffs, but it also puts a whole new light on the question of whether the health-insurance mandate might eventually be upheld.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2011 09:24AM by Mr Downtown.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 10, 2011 10:13AM
RgrF
My understanding is that more than a few state DMVs are actively marketing lists for commercial purposes, no FOI needed.

Some state DMV's have been slapped down after complaints for doing this. Some state legislators realize their information is also on those lists.
Date: August 10, 2011 02:53PM
I'm going to the press. I've written a few squib 'articles' and have spread them to a few people. We'll see if the ed staff bites. It's nice having a brother in law who is a professional journalist. baseball bat smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020