advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
is this my rotator cuff?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 22, 2011 11:04AM
when I outstretch my arm at a right angle to my torso and do a slight twist, I feel a pop. no pain, but a pop. it's mainly a soreness. mind you, I just did a week of manual labor in interior work so this is to be expected but I have always had this "pop."

I've helped this in the past with some weightlifting by building up the deltoid muscle but it always comes back. recommendations or just more weights?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: is this my rotator cuff?
Posted by: mstudio
Date: August 22, 2011 11:15AM
I'm not a doctor, but I am seeing one now for what I thought was rotator cuff. They don't think it is, but they're still figuring it out. I can tell you that my symptoms are different than yours but apparently similar to cuff problems. I will also tell you the pain is almost unbearable sometimes. You have no pain, I'm glad, but may just be from all of the manual labor last week.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 22, 2011 01:00PM
From what you describe, I have something very similar. If I were holding a pair of cymbals for an orchestra, crashing them together by rotating my arms at the shoulder (without moving my elbows) would make a pop each rep. I was prescribed an exercise that mimics this motion for shoulder pain, and I get the pop if I haven't been doing them and go back to it. I use Thera-Bands for resistance, and set them up to resist rotating inwards and also outwards. After a few days back on my regimen, the pop goes away. My PT said it was OK if it didn't hurt and went away after a few days of exercises. These exercises, and others, have helped my rotator cuff injury from a car accident 30 years ago, but I don't know if the popping is related to the rotator cuff. My PT says it stops when opposing muscles are balanced in strength.YMMV.

When my rotator cuff was acting up, I couldn't outstretch my arm at a right angle to my body at all because of pain. Could barely comb my hair.
Posted by: Diana
Date: August 22, 2011 03:17PM
Rotator cuff injury usually causes pain, but not always.

I tore mine when I slipped and fell into the trunk of my car (long story; and no, alcohol wasn't involved). It burned at the time, but it stopped after a day or so. I had weakness in the shoulder thereafter, as in I could bring my arm up to a certain level above my head and then not be able to hold it there. It didn't improve with time, and exercises didn't help that much. The tear was worse than what the tests showed.

It is better now after surgery, but not like it used to be.

Sucks getting old.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 22, 2011 03:53PM
I am being treated for it. Mine started after holding my mouse in an elevated position - head high - for 6 months. I had pops, extreme lack of motion and lots of pain - in the shoulder and down the whole arm. I took 600 mg of ibuprofen several days, but it didn't help. What finally got it to start healing was to not use it except veeeery mildly to prevent "frozen shoulder" and rubbing it with magnesium and DMSO at different times. Do not try to exercise through the pain as if it were a sore muscle, but don't let it freeze up. It has taken almost 6 months for mine to improve 50%.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020