advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OnSale.com canceling TouchPad orders
Posted by: Done
Date: August 24, 2011 02:26PM
Well it only took 4 days for OnSale.com to cancel my HP TouchPad Order. I guess they found they could sell them for more by selling them on ebay or something like that. I don't know how it prepares to ship if there is not one to prepare, but the status showed preparing for the last 3 days. Now after that long of a period to cancel it will definitely be hard to find that deal.

I didn't really need one but at that price I couldn't help myself, I thought it would be a great extra multimedia machine for trips. And I would also like OnSale.com to have a bad review out there to be found with a Google search. Thanks OnSale.com for not being quicker telling me that my order wouldn't be fulfilled and ruining my kids trip because I'm not sharing my iPad.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OnSale.com canceling TouchPad orders
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 24, 2011 02:34PM
Yeah, they cancelled mine too. But I was lucky enough to hedged my bets by placing orders at multiple retailers. Hopefully enough of them come through.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 24, 2011 02:35PM
Mine went *poof* a couple of hours ago. Fortunately, that was shortly after my backup-order from MacConnection showed up on my doorstep...
Barnes & Noble canceling TouchPad orders, too
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 24, 2011 02:36PM
B&N crapped out, too, but was as pleasant about it as they could be. Got their email after a day and a half, but the order hung in there, as "in process" under Order Status, until yesterday when it was finally canceled in their system.

Ahhhh, the thrill of the hunt.

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Done
Date: August 24, 2011 02:36PM
I thought about doing that but I didn't really need one, gadget fever.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: August 24, 2011 02:46PM
Mine's on the way from Office Depot with an 8/31delivery date!

I posted an offer to add more units to my order, but no one spoke up. sad smiley

The 16GB was $99 and the 32GB, which is the one that I ordered was $149. Pretty much the going price, but… OD had them in stock when I placed my order.

I also scored a Touchstone charging dock for $39.99 at a local OD. grinning smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: DRR
Date: August 24, 2011 02:48PM
Mine cancelled too FWIW.

Usually you can leave seller feedback in cases like this. It's against amazon.com policy to tell amazon you have more stock than you actually do. So they must have lied to amazon in telling them how many units they had in stock. Either that or they double sold - from their own website, and also through amazon.

However in this case the order's just been erased - Amazon may be helping them cover their tracks because of their relationship? I don't know.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 24, 2011 02:54PM
I'm a little weary that my tracking says "Aug 23, 2011 2:52 AM Arrived at FedEx location OLIVE BRANCH, MS" and hasn't been updated since. The ream of paper that was shipped at the same time and from the same place is already in Utah.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: olnacl
Date: August 24, 2011 02:55PM
Posting from mine - just arrived. I ordered 7 total. Five were cancelled. Of three ordered from Amazon, this one is the only one that shipped - and I ordered it at full price, figuring they would price match down the road - which they did when I chatted with a CSR. I figured it was worth a gamble as I could have returned it if they were unwilling to reduce the price.

The other one was also somewhat of a fluke. On Saturday, in the heat of the sale, I went in desperation to OD, and placed an order even though they were showing sold out. Somehow or other, a few days later, they indicated they were shipping the 16GB unit but canceled the 32 that was also on the order. So the two I got cover my needs, one for me and one for a friend who asked me to order for her - the others would have gone to other friends who missed out on the sale. Too bad.

I hope everyone else who ordered gets at least what they need.

Typing on my MBA now. No regrets whatever selling my iPad and putting the extra $ into a MBA. Just my humble opinion. The Touchpad will be a toy that I'll perhaps take places where I'd prefer not to display the MBA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 03:06PM by olnacl.
Date: August 24, 2011 03:07PM
olnacl
Posting from mine - just arrived.

How do you like it?

Buying it, sight unseen, I took a chance along with so many others.

I'd really appreciate it if you'd post some of your first impressions for those of us who have no firsthand experience with the Touchpad. Is it terribly slow or does it have "decent" performance?

I'm really hoping that the Android hack will be available and that it won't be too difficult to install for a less technically inclined person like me.

I was thrilled to find that the must have apps that I wanted from the iPad/iPhone collection were available for my Droid X.

Having access to the significant collection of Android apps would make this purchase a total win, win!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: August 24, 2011 03:31PM
M A V I C
I'm a little weary that my tracking says "Aug 23, 2011 2:52 AM Arrived at FedEx location OLIVE BRANCH, MS" and hasn't been updated since. The ream of paper that was shipped at the same time and from the same place is already in Utah.

From all these reports of cancelled orders, "just getting the ream" seems to sum up most people's experience.
Date: August 24, 2011 03:32PM
No real comments - I just booted it and opened the browser. VERY SSSSLLLLOOOOWWWW to boot, but the video on unboxing the Touchpad someone posted earlier pointed that out.

The display is a bit wonky typing into a forum reply - seems to move the characters up a fraction and then when you get to the end of a sentence, the bottom 20% of the characters appears cut off - Seems to fix itself, so it's mainly a cosmetic issue. So far anyway. Typing and clicking accuracy using my paws seems less than the iPad. I was amazed at how well I could navigate on the iPad - not so on the Touchpad, closer to the iPod Touch for accuracy.

Since I had no real love for the iPad, I'm even less enthused about the Touchpad, so others who are more into these things will give you more and better opinions, I'm sure.

Me, I prefer a real computer. But for $150.00…

Oh, it does fit perfectly into my Gen 1 iPad case. I'll have to cut a slot to access the power/sleep button and, if I want to adjust the sound level, another on the lower left side (I think - haven't tried anything with audio).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 03:35PM by olnacl.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 24, 2011 03:35PM
Might want to update the device to the latest system software.
Date: August 24, 2011 03:39PM
olnacl
No real comments - I just booted it and opened the browser. VERY SSSSLLLLOOOOWWWW to boot, but the video on unboxing the Touchpad someone posted earlier pointed that out.

The display is a bit wonky typing into a forum reply - seems to move the characters up a fraction and then when you get to the end of a sentence, the bottom 20% of the characters appears cut off - Seems to fix itself, so it's mainly a cosmetic issue. So far anyway. Typing and clicking accuracy using my paws seems less than the iPad. I was amazed at how well I could navigate on the iPad - not so on the Touchpad, closer to the iPod Touch for accuracy.

Since I had no real love for the iPad, I'm even less enthused about the Touchpad, so others who are more into these things will give you more and better opinions, I'm sure.

Me, I prefer a real computer. But for $150.00…

Oh, it does fit perfectly into my Gen 1 iPad case. I'll have to cut a slot to access the power/sleep button and, if I want to adjust the sound level, another on the lower left side (I think - haven't tried anything with audio).

Based on those comments it seems that, unless the Android hack becomes available, it's likely that I'll be selling mine after it's delivered and I get to try it out.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: August 24, 2011 03:43PM
I was on the hunt to get them for in-laws, parents, and other non-tech family members.

Ended up getting them piecemeal:

Walmart B&M - 32GB (1) - Paid $498 plus tax on Saturday and went back couple of days later and got price adjustment to $149 plus tax

Kmart.com - 32GB (1) - Paid $549 plus tax and did online chat a couple of days later and got price adjusted to $149 - Due to arrive this Friday

Buy.com - 16GB (2) - Paid $399 no tax/free shipping each and did online chat a couple of days later and got price adjusted to $99 each - Both arrived yesterday

OfficeMax.com - 32GB (1) - Paid $149 plus tax on Saturday. Got an email today stating it was on backorder - not sure if this order will get processed.

CostCentral.com - 16GB (2) and 32GB (2) - Paid $100 and $149 respectively plus shipping. Received an email stating that processing will be a bit longer but order still looks good.

So, a total possible of 9 TouchPads and all have owners ready to receive them if they come through.

In hindsight, I should have got them all from Buy.com - no tax and free shipping but was unsure what they would do with the price adjustment and didn't want to pay return shipping for multiple devices if they didn't adjust it.

Like GeneL, I took advantage of the price drop of the TouchStone charger. Did pricematch at Staples against Walmart.com and picked them up for $35.
Date: August 24, 2011 03:56PM
Thanks for posting that $35 price. I printed out Wal-mart's price and I'll take it along when I pick up the unit at OD.

I'm pretty sure that they'll price match. smiling smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Wild eep
Date: August 24, 2011 04:02PM
M A V I C
I'm a little weary leary that my tracking says "Aug 23, 2011 2:52 AM Arrived at FedEx location OLIVE BRANCH, MS" and hasn't been updated since. The ream of paper that was shipped at the same time and from the same place is already in Utah.

Just a pet peeve of mine.
Date: August 24, 2011 04:10PM
I guess having it in the case upside down didn't help matters any. Got it right now. Stll will need to cut holes for the sound to get out, but otherwise a good fit in an iPad I case.

Checked on an update - says it will DL the file over the next few days and then ask when I'm ready to install. I chose download now and I believe the site is being hammered as it dumped out immediately. I'll try again around 4 AM EDT when this past of the world is (or should be) sleeping.

I don't know how to quit the browser. I've managed to open 4 windows, 3 of which I didn't want and they just decided to stay. Ah, RTFM. Throw the "card" off the top of the screen.

"HP webOS 3.0.2 68 is now available It's about 38MB. Unable to connect. Try again later."

I can see I'm going to love this thing. Almost as fun as Win 7.

Sent from my MBA
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 24, 2011 04:20PM
olnacl
Posting from mine...Typing on my MBA now

That's amazing. How did you do that?
Posted by: Black
Date: August 24, 2011 04:25PM
olnacl
Posting from mine - just arrived. I ordered 7 total. Five were cancelled. Of three ordered from Amazon, this one is the only one that shipped - and I ordered it at full price, figuring they would price match down the road - which they did when I chatted with a CSR. I figured it was worth a gamble as I could have returned it if they were unwilling to reduce the price.

The other one was also somewhat of a fluke. On Saturday, in the heat of the sale, I went in desperation to OD, and placed an order even though they were showing sold out. Somehow or other, a few days later, they indicated they were shipping the 16GB unit but canceled the 32 that was also on the order. So the two I got cover my needs, one for me and one for a friend who asked me to order for her - the others would have gone to other friends who missed out on the sale. Too bad.

I hope everyone else who ordered gets at least what they need.

Typing on my MBA now. No regrets whatever selling my iPad and putting the extra $ into a MBA. Just my humble opinion. The Touchpad will be a toy that I'll perhaps take places where I'd prefer not to display the MBA.

You're posting from your HP touchpad, but typing on the MBA?

Can you explain how this works?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 24, 2011 04:31PM
Wild eep
M A V I C
I'm a little weary leary leery that my tracking says "Aug 23, 2011 2:52 AM Arrived at FedEx location OLIVE BRANCH, MS" and hasn't been updated since. The ream of paper that was shipped at the same time and from the same place is already in Utah.

Just a pet peeve of mine.

Fixed ;)

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: August 24, 2011 04:37PM
Black

First one post from the (can we call it) TP (seems appropriate considering all the Ship we had to go through to get them); then another post (edit) from the other. Both are beside my chair. I only used the Touchpad for the first post to see if it worked.
Posted by: DRR
Date: August 24, 2011 04:42PM
Touchpad users - I did see an article about turning off data logging on the device (the TP logs EVERYTHING to help HP diagnose problems) and having turned off sped up the tablet appreciably. Bookmarked it at home but I'm sure someone with a little time to spend on google could find a link.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 24, 2011 04:55PM
Typing this post while listening to the radio on mine... This sucker is heavy!

But so far I like the functionality, and the price was right...
Posted by: Black
Date: August 24, 2011 05:39PM
olnacl
Black

First one post from the (can we call it) TP (seems appropriate considering all the Ship we had to go through to get them); then another post (edit) from the other. Both are beside my chair. I only used the Touchpad for the first post to see if it worked.
Oh, I missed the edited note. I thought you had found some way to merge the two . . .

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: August 24, 2011 09:52PM

Approves of this thread

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Date: August 24, 2011 10:42PM
I'm happy to say that I got the price match, thanks to Gilbert's mention of it.

$35 is a lot better than $80, in my book.

Now I have to patiently wait a week for the TP (formerly known as Touchpad) to arrive.

Giving new meaning to the term TP!

Hasta la vista, baby… thumbsup smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 24, 2011 10:53PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 28, 2011 01:46PM
GeneL
I'm happy to say that I got the price match, thanks to Gilbert's mention of it.

$35 is a lot better than $80, in my book.

Now I have to patiently wait a week for the TP (formerly known as Touchpad) to arrive.

Giving new meaning to the term TP!

Hasta la vista, baby… thumbsup smiley

(It looks as if I forgot to hit the "Post Message" button!)

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020