advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mini-Rant: People scratching and denting my cars.
Posted by: microchip
Date: August 24, 2011 05:28PM
When you get out of your car and carelessly swing open your door and put a nice crease into someone's quarter panel? Or run your handbag along the front fender of my car rendering even my nice wax, clear coat, and pain useless?

Yeah, how do you not notice doing these things? Please at least leave a stack of $100's so I can fix it.

</most of the rant>.

I have no choice where I park my car unfortunately. Unless I keep them at home. I am the first in a parking garage generally full of professionals. I pick a spot on the top and park backwards in with my passenger side as close to the adjacent wall as conceivably possible. People still mess with my cars.

Very annoying. I am not happy in the slightest.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mini-Rant: People scratching and denting my cars.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: August 24, 2011 05:56PM
And of those people choosing to park closely to my car while having a wide berth on the other side.... I have no qualms sliding against your car to get into mine, and maybe a dent in your car.

I agree with you, and found a fresh paint chip taken out of my door yesterday. Grrrr.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 24, 2011 05:57PM
Experience has taught everyone else here one incontrovertible truth. It's never going to stop happening.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 24, 2011 06:01PM
vision63
Experience has taught everyone else here one incontrovertible truth. It's never going to stop happening.

Agreed. Welcome to the real world.

I've had scumbags key my pick-up in a parking lot that was so deep, nothing short of a complete paint job would hide it. sad smiley For no reason that I can think of, either.

I always park properly between the lines and never have the truck sticking out. Doesn't stop idiots from backing out of their space right into my back bumper.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 24, 2011 06:03PM
I know some people put GoPros insider their car to record what goes around it when driving and when parked. If something happens to it, they can usually get a plate and thus report it.

But I agre. I've got a good sized dent in one door, probably from a rogue shopping cart. And I noticed a new door ding the other day. I also noticed a nick in the rear bumper, apparently from someone who sucked at parallel parking.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 24, 2011 06:12PM
microchip
When you get out of your car and carelessly swing open your door and put a nice crease into someone's quarter panel? Or run your handbag along the front fender of my car rendering even my nice wax, clear coat, and pain useless?

Yeah, how do you not notice doing these things? Please at least leave a stack of $100's so I can fix it.

</most of the rant>.

I have no choice where I park my car unfortunately. Unless I keep them at home. I am the first in a parking garage generally full of professionals. I pick a spot on the top and park backwards in with my passenger side as close to the adjacent wall as conceivably possible. People still mess with my cars.

Very annoying. I am not happy in the slightest.

most people are thoughtless, self absorbed pigs. I realized this working retail decades ago, and it gets re-affirmed every time I get a new scratch or ding on one of my cars. Or find trash thrown in my yard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 06:14PM by Racer X.
Date: August 24, 2011 06:24PM
M A V I C
I know some people put GoPros insider their car to record what goes around it when driving and when parked. If something happens to it, they can usually get a plate and thus report it.

Yup. I may go this route. One of my also-car-loving friends-that-also-works-downtown had a ding put in his car the other day too.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 24, 2011 06:25PM
Get over it.

I'm not being facetious or flippant. You need to get over it because you are entirely dependent on other people's actions for this and other people are, as Racer said, pigs. I did with our new car (our first new car ever) and it's been easier on the blood pressure and stress.

People suck sometimes.

I also primarily drive a 28 year old car built like a tank so that's another way to not care (though I still do to some extent).
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 24, 2011 06:28PM
C'est la vie. While I appreciate your stress (and I was that way once myself), you have to remember that it's a vehicle. If it was a work of art, you'd leave it up on a wall.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: August 24, 2011 06:48PM
People are so self centered and do not give a damn about other's property, rights, situations, etc.

Someone sideswiped my rear fender, and someone else smashed my side view mirror, on a fairly quiet street. They drive too damn fast down a street that cannot handle 2 lanes of traffic, because people are parked on both sides.

In parking lots, they just don't care.

forget about them being honest and leaving a phone number or money to fix damage.

They don't even stop for people they hit and kill, you think they care about a car??

My part time Boston neighbor's have my car so blocked in from parking entirely too close. 2 of them are here this week with beat up cars, and they park on top of you. There is plenty of room to leave some space so you can get out of the parallel spot.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: August 24, 2011 06:49PM
My 9 year old daughter has put most of the dings and scratches in our cars. They are just cars.

They are nothing to get upset about, unless they are unable to do their job of getting us from one place to another.
Date: August 24, 2011 07:18PM
Manlove
They are just cars.

For me, that doesn't really hold true. But I do enjoy working on my cars. I'll break out the polish and wax in the morning.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 24, 2011 07:40PM
Racer X
most people are thoughtless, self absorbed pigs.

I don't think "most" people are, but it only takes a modest minority to create a fair amount of shall we say unpleasantness for everyone else.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 24, 2011 07:44PM
DeusxMac
Racer X
most people are thoughtless, self absorbed pigs.

I don't think "most" people are, but it only takes a modest minority to create a fair amount of shall we say unpleasantness for everyone else.

I call them 1%'ers. No matter where you go, or what you do in public, there is going to be one percent of A-Holes ruining it for everyone else.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: August 24, 2011 07:47PM
Manlove
My 9 year old daughter has put most of the dings and scratches in our cars. They are just cars.

I'd propose that:
- Your daughter has likely put dings and scratches in other peoples cars as well.
- For too many, that "they are just cars" attitude extends to their disregard for other peoples' cars, not just their own; hence this thread.

nono smiley
Posted by: Winston
Date: August 24, 2011 07:50PM
I put at least a little blame on the manufacturers and the developers of parking lots.

Manufacturers: many cars make it difficult to open a door just so much, because there is a detent that it wants to spring to. This can cause the door to pop out farther than you've intended, even when trying hard to keep it away from the car next to you.

Developers: parking spots have gotten narrower (or it seems like it to me) over the years. Depends on the lot, but some of them make it very difficult to park in a way where you won't hit the car next to you when you open a door.

I hate door dings, but I don't put all the blame on the other drivers, and don't leave notes if I tap another car with a door (although I try very hard not to). I do try to park in spots where I'm less likely to hit another car, and where other cars are less likely to hit me. But sometimes that just isn't possible. I do try to avoid parking next to cars like coupes and convertibles which have long doors.

Now, hitting another car while driving - that's criminal if you don't take responsibility.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: decay
Date: August 24, 2011 07:59PM
keep a "nice" car for fun driving (never park it).

drive a beater where careless clods can ding all they want.

or maybe there's a 'baby bumper' you can put around your car?

---
Date: August 24, 2011 08:11PM
DeusxMac
Manlove

I'd propose that:
- Your daughter has likely put dings and scratches in other peoples cars as well.
- For too many, that "they are just cars" attitude extends to their disregard for other peoples' cars, not just their own; hence this thread.

nono smiley

I fail to understand your first proposal. "Likely"? Why would you say that? What possible basis do you have for that slur?
And they are just cars. They are not @#$%& extensions or status symbols, they are cars.
I value my daughter far more than any car and hence if she scratches one of ours accidentally I don't dock her pocket money or slap her. It's a piece of metal and plastic. It will rust and disintegrate and become trash for someone else to deal with. It is a car.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: August 24, 2011 08:34PM
Winston
Developers: parking spots have gotten narrower (or it seems like it to me) over the years. Depends on the lot, but some of them make it very difficult to park in a way where you won't hit the car next to you when you open a door.

And "cars," as it were, have become much larger.
Yes, the phenomenon of developers creating narrower parking spaces (often they mark them "compact" out here in Cali) is real, but it seems to also have happened concurrently with the rise in the popularity of monster Urban Assault Vehicles (the owners of which always seem to think are somehow “compact”).

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Date: August 24, 2011 08:58PM
Manlove
DeusxMac
Manlove

I'd propose that:

nono smiley

Manlove
I fail to understand your first proposal. "Likely"? Why would you say that? What possible basis do you have for that slur?

Maybe I don't understand what activities would allow a 9-year-old to put dings in your car's doors, but avoid doing it to other people's cars. Please explain.

Manlove
And they are just cars. They are not @#$%& extensions or status symbols, they are cars.

Interesting the analogy you've chosen to introduced here.
Yes, a car is a just a car, a house is just a house, just objects; but that doesn't mean I am free to damage yours, nor you mine.

Manlove
I value my daughter far more than any car and hence if she scratches one of ours accidentally I don't dock her pocket money or slap her.

But what if she accidentally scratches/dings someone else's car? That is what this discussion was about, wasn't it?
Date: August 24, 2011 09:01PM
Seacrest
And "cars," as it were, have become much larger.
Yes, the phenomenon of developers creating narrower parking spaces (often they mark them "compact" out here in Cali) is real, but it seems to also have happened concurrently with the rise in the popularity of monster Urban Assault Vehicles (the owners of which always seem to think are somehow “compact”).

Oh, I don't know about that. My dad's '65 Oldsmobile is larger (wider and longer) than just about any recent personal vehicle save for a Hummer H1 (which is now off the market). It was longer and wider than a current Suburban. Contemporary Buicks, Pontiacs and Chevys were similar, and Cadillacs were even larger. In the 60s Ford and Chrysler also each had cars about this size.

1965 Olds 98
[classiccardatabase.com]
Length - 222.9 inches
Width - 80 inches

2011 Chevrolet Suburban
[www.thecarconnection.com]
Length, Overall w/rear bumper (in) - 222.4 inches
Width, Max w/o mirrors (in) - 79.1 inches

It was like this one:

And 60's compact cars were as large as a Ford Taurus today (maybe even a bit larger). "Mid-sized" cars were almost as large as cars like the 98.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: August West
Date: August 24, 2011 09:05PM
This whole thread is pretty laughable, thanks!
Date: August 24, 2011 09:09PM
As to children damaging cars: we've had broken rearview mirrors and probably other dings from kids playing in our driveway (basketballs and rearview mirrors are not mutually friendly). But I don't think my children have ever damaged someone else's car, save with the (really inevitable) parking lot door dings. As with my own door opening we've tried to avoid this, but in many cases it's just not avoidable. Not happy about it, but that's the reality.

Given that most of the time our kids have been shepherded around in a minivan with a sliding door I'd guess their count of damaging other people's cars with door dings is quite low. It's hard to bang a sliding door on the car next to you if you've parked with enough room to get out.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: August 24, 2011 09:30PM
Winston
Oh, I don't know about that. My dad's '65 Oldsmobile is larger (wider and longer) than just about any recent personal vehicle save for a Hummer H1 (which is now off the market). It was longer and wider than a current Suburban. Contemporary Buicks, Pontiacs and Chevys were similar, and Cadillacs were even larger. In the 60s Ford and Chrysler also each had cars about this size.

You realize that was over forty-five years ago.
A lot's happened in the intervening years.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Date: August 24, 2011 09:54PM
Seacrest
Winston

Yes, SUVs and minivans replaced station wagons (I think primarily because of differences in the Corporate Average Fuel Economy requirements for cars vs. "trucks" ) and a lot of less efficient cars were replaced by more efficient cars and SUVs. Even today's Suburban, one of the largest "cars" on the market, is more efficient than most big cars of the 60s and 70s.

I don't think it's accurate to say that "cars" have gotten bigger. Taller, maybe. I don't think you can find a car size category where the cars have gotten larger since the 60s.

Some specific models, like the Honda Civic, have gotten larger, but then the manufacturers have added a model below it to fill in, like the Honda Fit. But within a category, a "full sized" car of today is a lot smaller than even in the 80s.

And this was in the context of size in a parking spot, not height or weight (although the 60s cars were probably as heavy as todays large SUVs).

I'd guess that the average size of cars in parking lots (length x width) has declined most decades since the 60s. (I tried to find stats on this but wasn't able to with a few minutes search.)

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2011 09:54PM by Winston.
Date: August 24, 2011 09:56PM
The real problem is probably:

U.S. Population 1960 = 179,323,175
U.S. Population 2010 = 308,745,538

Lotsa more dingers around.
Date: August 24, 2011 10:08PM
DeusxMac
Manlove
DeusxMac
Manlove

I'd propose that:

nono smiley

Manlove

Maybe I don't understand what activities would allow a 9-year-old to put dings in your car's doors, but avoid doing it to other people's cars. Please explain.

Manlove

Interesting the analogy you've chosen to introduced here.
Yes, a car is a just a car, a house is just a house, just objects; but that doesn't mean I am free to damage yours, nor you mine.

Manlove
I value my daughter far more than any car and hence if she scratches one of ours accidentally I don't dock her pocket money or slap her.

But what if she accidentally scratches/dings someone else's car? That is what this discussion was about, wasn't it?

It would seem that you are both rude and thick. Not a parent I assume. Or if you are, how do you prevent your offspring from being children? Please explain.
Date: August 24, 2011 11:14PM
DeusxMac

This is pretty much my perspective.

A car is just a car.
A laptop is just a laptop.
An iPad is just an iPad.

Property damage is property damage.

Ask yourselves this, which is worse?
A. Hitting someone's car with a shopping cart.
or
B. Walking up to someone holding an iPad, grabbing it and then smashing it into the ground.

It's very easy for A to cost more to repair than B. So if you're fine with someone scratching and denting a car, you should be even more okay with someone smashing an iPad or MacBook.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 24, 2011 11:19PM
I saw some lady park way too close to my car. I asked her to back out and try parking closer to the middle of the slot. She slammed her door open against my fender, staring at me. She got out of her car and said don't park near her anymore.

I kicked off her driver's side mirror and told her to kcuf off!
Date: August 24, 2011 11:26PM
Rolando
I saw some lady park way too close to my car. I asked her to back out and try parking closer to the middle of the slot. She slammed her door open against my fender, staring at me. She got out of her car and said don't park near her anymore.

Rolando! nono smiley
Date: August 25, 2011 12:21AM
Rolando

Ha!
Date: August 25, 2011 12:33AM
M A V I C
DeusxMac

A car is just a car.
An iPad is just an iPad.

or
B. Walking up to someone holding an iPad, grabbing it and then smashing it into the ground.

It's very easy for A to cost more to repair than B. So if you're fine with someone scratching and denting a car, you should be even more okay with someone smashing an iPad or MacBook.

Huh?
"B." is intentional damage to someone's property. Malicious intent.
"A." is a trifling accident...unless committed with malice aforethought!
Most door/cart interactions are non-intentional and hardly qualify as premeditated vandalism. Annoying, sure, but a few deep breaths and move on. If someone grabbed the iPad (I don't have) and threw it to the ground, I would (attempt) to punch them in the nose, before taking their name and reporting them to the police.

And where on earth did I say that I was fine with someone scratching and denting cars? It sucks when it happens, but my point is that a little perspective on the issue would be useful.
1% of people may be a@@holes- intentionally screwing things up, but 49% of people are less smart than average, and do stupid @#$%& without thinking about it. You can't fight them odds!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 25, 2011 12:54AM
Seacrest
Winston

Only that a late '60s early '70s mid sized car is the same size as a current full sized car. my 69-72 Buick A bodies are the same length width and close to the same weight as my '99 Sable.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 25, 2011 07:52AM
Seacrest
Winston

Yeah, we now have those huge boat-sized minis, smartcars and Fiats.

:-)
Thank goodness those B-210s and Yugos are gone.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 25, 2011 08:59AM
.....would a good DENTal plan help......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 09:01AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 25, 2011 09:06AM
It's easy to get upset about this if you have a car in pristine condition. The first scratch or ding is the worst. Of course if you can let it go then over time you will probably forget or not care anymore; complacency is key. But if the car is more to you than just a transportation machine then just be aware that you will need to invest more time, energy and money to preserve it. Accidents happen, malicious incidents happen too, most of them far beyond your control. Find a balance between how much prevention and how much repair you can commit to. If that means having a car that is still fun to drive but looks like crap already, well that's a ton of prevention. If you decide to have your current car completely fixed up and repainted every year, that's a ton of repair.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 25, 2011 09:08AM
Rolando

What are you *doing*? Are you *crazy*?

Face it, girls, I'm older and I have more insurance.
Posted by: Grace62
Date: August 25, 2011 11:39AM
Lux Interior
Rolando

What are you *doing*? Are you *crazy*?

Face it, girls, I'm older and I have more insurance.

thumbs up
worth posting the whole thing...

[Evelyn is cut off in a parking lot]
Evelyn Couch: Hey! I was waiting for that spot!
Girl #1: Face it, lady, we're younger and faster!
[Evelyn rear-ends the other car six times]
Girl #1: What are you *doing*?
Girl #2: Are you *crazy*?
Evelyn Couch: Face it, girls, I'm older and I have more insurance.
Posted by: Jem
Date: August 25, 2011 12:08PM
Manlove
M A V I C
DeusxMac

A car is just a car.
An iPad is just an iPad.

or

Huh?
Most door/cart interactions are non-intentional and hardly qualify as premeditated vandalism. Annoying, sure, but a few deep breaths and move on. If someone grabbed the iPad (I don't have) and threw it to the ground, I would (attempt) to punch them in the nose, before taking their name and reporting them to the police.

And where on earth did I say that I was fine with someone scratching and denting cars? It sucks when it happens, but my point is that a little perspective on the issue would be useful.
1% of people may be a@@holes- intentionally screwing things up, but 49% of people are less smart than average, and do stupid @#$%& without thinking about it. You can't fight them odds!

I'm with MAVIC on this. Claiming that the damage is "accidental" is just a rationalization for why one shouldn't be accountable. And I'm guessing this is a rationalization that is used frequently when this happens.

But ask yourself this: If someone "accidentally" hit your child while quickly backing out of a parking space, would you take the same attitude? The scale of the problem is different, but the nature the same. Not paying attention to what one is doing has consequences, some simply try to escape those consequences, and often do.

And the argument that a car is just a car is stupid. A car has resale value. Every time someone degrades the condition of the exterior through their carelessness they are financially harming you.

We are becoming anonymous in our communities, and that anonymity becomes a shield for avoiding ethical responsibility.
Date: August 25, 2011 12:12PM
Manlove
Huh?

It doesn't matter if it fits your definition of "intentional" or not, it's still property damage. When someone opens their car door, park a shopping cart, cut a corner too tight... they either choose to make sure they don't hit a car or they choose otherwise.

The cops can be called in either case. It's illegal to damage someone's car just as it's illegal to smash someone's iPad.

And where on earth did I say that I was fine with someone scratching and denting cars?

I didn't say you did, I just pointed out you said "a car is a car".

It sucks when it happens, but my point is that a little perspective on the issue would be useful.

Hence why I put the above analogy in. Just because you put a nice crease in someone's car and don't think "oh, man, I just devalued that car by $2,000" doesn't mean that's not what you just did.

Think.

Great, but that doesn't give them any right do damage someone's property. If they're not smart enough to think about not damaging someone's car when they're operating a car, they probably shouldn't be driving to begin with.

Posted by: August West
Date: August 25, 2011 12:34PM
It's gotten even more insane ! WooHoooo!!!!!
Date: August 25, 2011 01:35PM
Mavic, seriously man, what are you on about?
You are arguing that you think that I think it is okay to damage other people's property.
That's crazy talk. You invented it.
You ask me to "Think". About what?
You invent what I say, argue against your own invention as if it was what I had said, and then ask me to think?

"Great, but that doesn't give them any right do damage someone's property. If they're not smart enough to think about not damaging someone's car when they're operating a car, they probably shouldn't be driving to begin with."

I agree that about half the people on the road should not be on the road. But they are. And we have to suck it up or go crazy trying to protect our property in public spaces.
Date: August 26, 2011 09:15AM
Then what are you saying? You're saying to "we have to suck it up"? Why? If someone came up and smashed your Mac, would you be saying the same? I don't think so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020