Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I heard the news today, oh boy...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 25, 2011 10:22AM
It saddens me, greatly.

Jobs official autobiography was a flag, indeed. But I had hoped this would be later rather than so soon.

I imagine he didn't want to leave, but did so anyway with dignity and grace. His resignation letter was brief and concise.

No doubt Cook will do well, but Jobs is unique and there may never be another CEO that even comes close to Stevie's persona.

It will be a very long time before he's fully appreciated for the man he is and the CEO he was.

Best of luck to Jobs and Cook.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I heard the news today, oh boy...
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 25, 2011 10:25AM
About a lucky man who made the grade

This line seems to fit, also. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: August 25, 2011 10:31AM
It'll be very interesting to see how Apple evolves as a company without Jobs at the helm.
He brought it back from the brink of extinction & turned it into a major player in the tech world.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 25, 2011 10:34AM
Ram--- there have been a steady cavalcade of visionary founders and CEOs through history. Jobs stands out as one of the most impressive in the 'Personal Computer' age. And his action in transitioning the company he built from a stagnant 'Computer' company to a visionary 'Device' company is by far the most amazing.

I can't think of a single 'visionary founder' CEO who has personally driven a complete re-engineering of the entire company like Steve did.
Date: August 25, 2011 10:45AM
here have been a steady cavalcade of visionary founders and CEOs through history.

Of course.

I can't think of a single 'visionary founder' CEO who has personally driven a complete re-engineering of the entire company like Steve did.

I'm heartened that my use of "unique" was not in error.

It'll be very interesting to see how Apple evolves as a company without Jobs at the helm.

Exactly.

A lot has been made about "Jobs being Apple, and when he leaves...", and about Jobs leaving a like-minded team in place.

So there are two points of interest for me- 1) as you mentioned, how Apple evolves without Jobs, and 2) how the world sees Apple without Jobs.

I also wonder if we'll know what input Jobs has as Chairman, if elected/appointed.

This line seems to fit, also.

Yeah, I decided to ignore that part.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: steve...
Date: August 25, 2011 10:46AM
Tim Cook's Memo to Employees:

Team:

I am looking forward to the amazing opportunity of serving as CEO of the most innovative company in the world. Joining Apple was the best decision I've ever made and it's been the privilege of a lifetime to work for Apple and Steve for over 13 years. I share Steve's optimism for Apple's bright future.

Steve has been an incredible leader and mentor to me, as well as to the entire executive team and our amazing employees. We are really looking forward to Steve's ongoing guidance and inspiration as our Chairman.

I want you to be confident that Apple is not going to change. I cherish and celebrate Apple's unique principles and values. Steve built a company and culture that is unlike any other in the world and we are going to stay true to that-it is in our DNA. We are going to continue to make the best products in the world that delight our customers and make our employees incredibly proud of what they do.

I love Apple and I am looking forward to diving into my new role. All of the incredible support from the Board, the executive team and many of you has been inspiring. I am confident our best years lie ahead of us and that together we will continue to make Apple the magical place that it is.

Tim

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 25, 2011 10:50AM
P.S. I'm gay. Get over it.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: August 25, 2011 10:54AM
steve... Thanks for that. It was a touching letter, actually.

rj, too funny! I was beginning to feel too maudlin.

Thanks.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 25, 2011 11:22AM
Ooh, did you notice he used a key Jobs keyword to describe Apple? DNA. Everything's OK, you can all relax now.

rjmacs
P.S. I'm gay. Get over it.

LOL!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 25, 2011 12:10PM
I had to listen to some guy at my son's PTO meeting go on about how he didn't see what the big deal was; Bill Gates was more of a visionary and trailblazer in the industry -- it isn't Macs he sees in every office he goes to. He went on to say something about "he gives us some eye candy, sure" and by then I just stopped listening.

I imagine we'd be in a kind of "Brazil-esque" world of computers had the Mac not come along. People'd still be walking around with Discman players and your cell phone would still be a flip-phone with a 2" square screen, and Blackberry would rule the smart phone world.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 25, 2011 12:32PM
Zoidberg
your cell phone would still be a flip-phone with a 2" square screen

That was actually one of my favorite phones.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 25, 2011 01:39PM
I'll never forgive Steve for corrupting all of my photos (and other files) when migrating over from 8.6 to X.

Well, if we're going to give him credit, he's also got to take the blame, and I give him plenty of credit elsewhere.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: August 25, 2011 02:26PM
Jobs running for president?????
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: August 25, 2011 02:28PM
Hey, I like that idea

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 02:28PM by bwicklander.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: August 25, 2011 09:43PM
bwicklander
Jobs running for president?????

He's half Syrian... what would he do as president right now? Offer the eye doctor some free Apple stuff to
leave Syria now - or be drawn & quartered later?
Posted by: Silencio
Date: August 26, 2011 01:49AM
Hey, Syria desperately needs new leadership, too.

Me, I'm not too worried about Apple continuing along the path Jobs set for them. Remember, he's been back for 14 years now, and most of the executive team has been in place together for quite a long time. It's not so much that Jobs is Apple, but that Apple has become Jobsian.
Date: August 26, 2011 02:25AM
Me, I'm not too worried about Apple continuing along the path Jobs set for them... but that Apple has become Jobsian.

Sort of.

Yes, Stevie has certainly hand picked his teams (though a couple have jumped ship recently) well.

But Stevie is a visionary, probably his greatest gift and best asset. I don't see Cook as a visionary, nor as having the charisma of Jobs.

So I see inertia as being helpful- for awhile. But I will be concerned down the road.

And I hope my concerns are baseless.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: Silencio
Date: August 26, 2011 12:47PM
Visionaries are never replaceable. However I was very intrigued by the whole Apple University thing, where Apple hired away a leading academic from Yale to attempt to capture Apple's decision-making processes. If they as a corporation can learn from how Jobs thought, that would end up being Apple's most valuable IP by far. Fascinating stuff.

[www.asymco.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 144
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020