advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are there still any Touchpads out there for $99?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 27, 2011 08:57AM
Just askin'....
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are there still any Touchpads out there for $99?
Posted by: flareslow
Date: August 27, 2011 09:10AM
They seem to be showing up randomly in lots of 50 or so at Best Buys around here. At 8 am yesterday I checked this site:

Best Buy

The store that showed stock opened at 9 am so went there and arrived at about 8:45. There were about 10 people in line at the entrance and people had photocopied sheets that were "tickets". Apparently there was a crowd at the door at 5am and they passed out the sheets. Everyone must have returned to pick up a touchpad because no one without a "ticket" got a touchpad. Some of the group waiting to get them were Best Buy employees.

I did not get one. Boo effin' Hoo!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 27, 2011 09:11AM
Probably, or eventually. The campus store at the university had a number in stock as of mid week, the manager of the computer section was still waiting on directions from the corporate offices on whether they were going back to HP or they were getting price protected. I imagine there are many small outlets like that with stock in limbo as HP and its distributors finish catching up on last week's decision.
Posted by: DRR
Date: August 27, 2011 09:12AM
Some Best Buys may still have inventory. HP is supposed to release some soon through their Home and Home Office site, but no word on when that is.

Follow @BrynaAtHP for official updates.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: August 27, 2011 09:59AM
The Best Buy link above shows 2 stores near me with stock "In Store Only." When I called, the automated recording said that they were sold out and not expecting any more. I'm not that much in want of one to go driving around with all three kids on a wild goose chase. If the HP online store gets any, perhaps I'll bite.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 27, 2011 10:17AM
I read somewhere--and I THINK it was a news story, but I can't find it again to link, so take it FWIW--that HP was going to continue production of TouchPads in Taiwan until well into September, or until their production parts run out. Even if that's bogus, it's not ridiculous to think that there were a few containers full of TPs still making their way across the Pacific when the axe fell last week.

So in other words, there should be more coming down the pike, but nobody outside HP really knows how many.
Date: August 27, 2011 10:18AM
DavidS
The Best Buy link above shows 2 stores near me with stock "In Store Only." When I called, the automated recording said that they were sold out and not expecting any more. I'm not that much in want of one to go driving around with all three kids on a wild goose chase. If the HP online store gets any, perhaps I'll bite.

The BestBuy drones are all saying that. I was told that last Monday, and the store near me has restocked at least twice since then. Don't bother calling, just show up when the store opens in the morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 10:26AM by Will Collier.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 27, 2011 10:26AM
The Best Buy dudes I conversed with the last few days said that BB was getting 114,000 more to float through their system, which comports with the "random lots of 50..." showing up at their stores. A couple of other online vendors I spoke with also said HP was in control of more stock; and I got through to the vendors by ordering other items, and calling to check on them first, and then inquiring about the TP's once I got a real customer service person on the line.

In the mean time, can somebody please post the best hardware/OS/browser combo to use to get a single darn shopping cart to vest during such a feeding frenzy?

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: tenders
Date: August 27, 2011 10:35AM
> to get a single darn shopping cart to vest during such a feeding frenzy?

Hey, I don't think I've ever heard the word "vest" used in this sense. Very interesting.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 27, 2011 11:17AM
Will Collier
I read somewhere--and I THINK it was a news story, but I can't find it again to link, so take it FWIW--that HP was going to continue production of TouchPads in Taiwan until well into September, or until their production parts run out.

The selling price has been established--$100. The cost of production has been estimated at about $300. Does that rumor make any sense?
Posted by: DavidS
Date: August 27, 2011 11:24AM
The two stores that listed as some available are now listed as Unavailable, so maybe that inventory tracker is real-time and correct. I'll keep an eye on it for Monday and Tuesday morning, since I have the days off from work.
Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: August 27, 2011 11:42AM
Article Accelerator
Will Collier
I read somewhere--and I THINK it was a news story, but I can't find it again to link, so take it FWIW--that HP was going to continue production of TouchPads in Taiwan until well into September, or until their production parts run out.

The selling price has been established--$100. The cost of production has been estimated at about $300. Does that rumor make any sense?

No, but isn't it possible that HP has a commitment with it's manufacturers to produce a certain amount? Meaning they had to agree to a set amount to get pricing where they wanted it.

Maybe the penalty they would pay for not hitting that threshold would be greater than selling the remaining amount at such a discount
Date: August 27, 2011 01:38PM
Article Accelerator
Will Collier

It does if the existing parts are all customized for TouchPads and no good for anything else. HP can either complete them and make $100 a unit, or pull an Atari and dump the parts in a landfill for nothing. Flip a coin?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 27, 2011 01:42PM
tenders
> to get a single darn shopping cart to vest during such a feeding frenzy?

Hey, I don't think I've ever heard the word "vest" used in this sense. Very interesting.

I have a prodigious vocabulary, but sometimes opt to use little words as may be apt.

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: tenders
Date: August 31, 2011 09:40PM
Please don't go all sesquipedalian on us now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020