advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sure Could Use Some Rain
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: August 28, 2011 11:07PM
We went to the La Contera Mall Apple Store in San Antonio today. When we headed for home we checked the outside temperature and saw it was 111 degrees. It's 11:00 PM and it's still 94. We've only had very light rains twice since January. The lawns are long gone and now big trees are dying. We have our own well and are hoping it doesn't run dry.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sure Could Use Some Rain
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 28, 2011 11:16PM
It's dry here in parts of NC too. Yards are brown and many trees are
already dropping their leaves, especially Poplars. My wife is starting
to get worried about Fall planting of small grains.

Grateful11
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: August 28, 2011 11:18PM
So far, this has been the driest year on record in NM. And, unfortunately, we experienced several really large forest/wild fires earlier this year (including the largest fire in the state's history). Our monsoons have been pretty hit or miss too. We had a heavy downpour for all of 10 min. tonight, though. At least it's something.

Hopefully it'll head your way now.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: August 29, 2011 12:16AM
Drier than normal here in north central Iowa.

Planting of crops was late due to a wet spring but we really haven't had much moisture this summer.

Only 1 severe storm in our area and that was back in mid April.

That is not a normal summer.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 29, 2011 01:18AM
It's just amazing what y'all in Texas (and surrounding areas) have been experiencing this year. For some reason a high pressure area has centered (and remains planted) on y'all...allowing no rain. I've never seen anything like this.
Posted by: blooz
Date: August 29, 2011 07:17AM
And yesterday in the northeast we had way more than we needed. If it were only in my power, i would have shipped it to you guys.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: rz
Date: August 29, 2011 07:28AM
Oddly enough, this is probably the first year in over a decade that we here in central Florida aren't in some sort of drought. When I moved here in '94, they said you could set your watch by the "daily" summer afternoon thunderstorms. And it was like that for a couple of years. Then, in about 1997, things started to change. 1998 was the worst, with all kinds of wild fires. Every summer since, we've been in some kind of drought. This year, I think we're back to "normal" with the rains.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 29, 2011 10:17AM
rz
Oddly enough, this is probably the first year in over a decade that we here in central Florida aren't in some sort of drought. When I moved here in '94, they said you could set your watch by the "daily" summer afternoon thunderstorms. And it was like that for a couple of years. Then, in about 1997, things started to change. 1998 was the worst, with all kinds of wild fires. Every summer since, we've been in some kind of drought. This year, I think we're back to "normal" with the rains.

Has it been cooler than normal, or has there been lees sunshine than normal? Those afternoon thunderstorms depend upon heating of the earth's surface to generate unstable upward moving air.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: August 29, 2011 11:25AM
mjgkramer,

I live about 200 miles straight north of you on the OK border. We are hot & dry.

We've had 92 days this year with 100 degrees or higher & 52 of those days were in a row.

I'm watering one bunch of cows out of a well, hoping it doesn't go dry. Feed another bunch of cows cubes every evening & praying for rain as the stock tank they drink out of will be dry in a couple of weeks at this rate.

100's all week but Friday & Saturday are forecast at 98 with a 20% chance of showers.

Fred
Posted by: rz
Date: August 29, 2011 02:52PM
freeradical
rz

Has it been cooler than normal, or has there been lees sunshine than normal? Those afternoon thunderstorms depend upon heating of the earth's surface to generate unstable upward moving air.

Temps have been close to normal, although after Irene sucked all the moisture from the area last week, it's been hotter than normal. Our afternoon thunderstorms are usually caused by the meeting of the east coast and west coast seabreezes colliding overhead.
Posted by: Diana
Date: August 29, 2011 10:38PM
Fred_Also
mjgkramer,

I live about 200 miles straight north of you on the OK border. We are hot & dry.

We've had 92 days this year with 100 degrees or higher & 52 of those days were in a row.

I'm watering one bunch of cows out of a well, hoping it doesn't go dry. Feed another bunch of cows cubes every evening & praying for rain as the stock tank they drink out of will be dry in a couple of weeks at this rate.

100's all week but Friday & Saturday are forecast at 98 with a 20% chance of showers.

Fred

Fred,

I'm north of you in the OKC area (that's Oklahoma City for the rest of you!). I feel your pain. Water rationing in the city, and everything I planted for the last several years appears to be dying no matter how much water I give it. The rains go north of us, the rains go south of us--that is, if there is any rain at all. I have seen quite a few overloaded hay trucks headed south through here, more than usual.

I hope your well holds up. I have heard of some who have begun slaughtering their herds, not because they can't feed them but they can't water them. I pray this doesn't happen to you.

Freeradical:

We need moisture in the atmosphere to fire off the thunderstorms here. We have had plenty of sunshine. The dome of high pressure that was centered over us has been replaced by another one. sad smiley

Diana
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020