advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
any condo owners here? how much is a heat pump?
Posted by: New.Dad
Date: June 22, 2006 05:36PM
Hi, I rent, but I was just curious: how much are these heat pumps /AC units? those typical in a condo unit 1000 square foot. Did anyone replace one, and what was the cost? do you have a breakdown, i.e.

outside unit: unit cost, installation cost
Inside unit: unit cost, installation cost...

Thanks. curious wallets want to know smiling smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: any condo owners here? how much is a heat pump?
Posted by: wowzer
Date: June 22, 2006 06:30PM
I'm curious about heat pumps as well. I have a vacation home and want to install a heat pump for AC in summer and heat in winter. Currently, we are using electric baseboards, but the system is old and has many shortcomings (i.e. no reliable temp control).

Just curious if a heat pump makes sense....

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: New.Dad
Date: June 22, 2006 06:34PM
wowzer
I'm curious about heat pumps as well. I have a vacation home and want to install a heat pump for AC in summer and heat in winter. Currently, we are using electric baseboards, but the system is old and has many shortcomings (i.e. no reliable temp control).

Just curious if a heat pump makes sense....

I googled and found something...

[acdirect.com]

It depends on the size, but it looks like it's 2k and up. I wanted to know if the system starts at 2k or 5k or 10k, I had no idea about prices...
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: June 22, 2006 06:35PM
Unless New.Dad is curious about a very modern condo, his replies won't help wowzer much. Most heat/AC units for condos build pre-late-90's are almost industrial-style, top-of-the roof units. That's how mine is. wowzer is looking for something totally different, most likely, that will involve a LOT of labor due to retrofitting the area under the house or in the attic for ducts in all the rooms.

Sorry New.Dad, I've only had my condo for a year and I hope to not have to find out how much it would cost to replace that roof-mounted unit I've got!

~A
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 22, 2006 08:07PM
1500 for the pump and 1500 for the airhandler.

Roughly.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 22, 2006 09:22PM
If you are in a cold climate, a heat pump is poor choice. When outside temps drop too low, you typically need to use an electric resistance unit built in to the air handler. I live outside of Philly. My buddy has such a unit and keeps his house at 60F just to maintain a reasonable electric bill. In more temperate climates, they are a better choice.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: June 23, 2006 12:05AM
Ah...then the pocono's of PA is out of the question.

Thanks, MacPhanatic

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 23, 2006 09:29AM
In yer colder climes (NOT artic), a heat pump linked to 'geothermal' (which is NOT 'geothermal' IMHO- no magma involved !) will resolve the problem heat pumps have with 'finding heat' below freezing temps. The geothermal provides a steady source low level warmth in the winter and low level cool in the summer.

Also heat pumps have improved significantly in the last 20 years.
Posted by: Michael
Date: June 23, 2006 09:39AM
I replaced 2 outside units and 1 inside air handler 2 years ago for $3500. They are much more efficient than the 14 year old originals. The morning that it was 22 degrees this last winter, the strips came on while first heating the house (I have a setback thermostat), but then the heat pumps maintained the temp.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020