advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Web Design for the ADHD generation
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 21, 2011 09:58AM
over the past few weeks i've noticed that an increasing number of sites now have unstoppable slide shows happening on a section of the page. i can't remember what sites but i believe they have been mostly news sites. i find it highly distracting and annoying and click away almost immediately.

this morning Facebook unveiled new features including the Ticker - a constantly moving list of status updates. you can't hide it. you can't delete it.

WTF! are we trying to encourage the entire population to have the attention span of a terrier puppy?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Web Design for the ADHD generation
Posted by: lazydays
Date: September 21, 2011 10:18AM
I find that most websites have about 30% real content and the rest is crap. I think there should be some kind of guideline that the web page content must be at least the majority of what I see on the page. Also, I increasingly find websites where you click on a link to take you somewhere and you end up at a site that has nothing to do with what you clicked on. Very frustrating.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 21, 2011 10:39AM

welcome to the machine

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 21, 2011 10:41AM
Such sites do not get my patronage.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: September 21, 2011 11:00AM
lazydays
I find that most websites have about 30% real content and the rest is crap.

Sounds just about right for this place!

angry villagers smiley
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: September 21, 2011 11:21AM
graylocks
over the past few weeks i've noticed that an increasing number of sites now have unstoppable slide shows happening on a section of the page. i can't remember what sites but i believe they have been mostly news sites. i find it highly distracting and annoying and click away almost immediately.

this morning Facebook unveiled new features including the Ticker - a constantly moving list of status updates. you can't hide it. you can't delete it.

Isn't that what Adblock and NoScript are for?

I can't even recall the last time that I had an animated ad -- or one of those REALLY annoying ads with audio -- appear in a browser window outside of YouTube and Hulu type stuff where the ads appear before a video plays.

I block add servers pushing anything that annoys me. I block portions of pages that have obnoxious content.

When possible, I let static ads show. Sites still need revenue to survive and I'm glad to support them when they are decent enough not to foist those abuses on their viewers.
Posted by: andypie48
Date: September 21, 2011 12:04PM
'better facebook' has an option for getting rid of the @#$%&. I love 'better facebook'.
Date: September 21, 2011 12:53PM
Chakravartin
Isn't that what Adblock and NoScript are for?

oh, god, bless you! i hadn't thought of using my Adblock because they are not ads. i won't bother with the news sites for now but i was definitely able to manually go into Adblock and filter that damned ticker out!

I'm posting what i did as bots crawl our forum frequently and this fix will show up in a web search.

I've BLOCKED THE FACEBOOK TICKER! Here's how for Firefox users: install the extension AdBlock and manually open AdBlock on the home page. Filter out any line with Ticker in it. Poof! It's gone! i've used Adblock for years. If you also install the basic filters you will rarely see an ad anywhere on the web including Facebook. I believe there's also an AdBlock extension for Safari.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2011 01:23PM by graylocks.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: September 21, 2011 02:31PM
[www.cx.com]

Love the product, but good god, that opening 2 seconds was created by someone with an attention span of a gnat.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Monterey 12.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2011 02:32PM by tuqqer.
Date: September 21, 2011 02:42PM
here's a sample of a news page slide show.

AJC

Posted by: sekker
Date: September 21, 2011 08:56PM
Click to flash might help, too
Posted by: Winston
Date: September 21, 2011 10:55PM
I can confirm ClickToFlash on Safari blocks the slide show at graylocks' link.

Note that it's called "ClickToPlugin" for later versions of Safari.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: john-o
Date: September 22, 2011 01:15PM
I think it's important to point out that the guy who developed AdBlock is attempting to make his living of his extensions. If you use one of them, and appreciate what he's done for your browsing experience, give him a donation!:

[chromeadblock.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020