advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Odd coin in my pocket - 1921 US/Filipinas 5 Centavo
Posted by: timg
Date: September 26, 2011 07:01PM
Was at Build-a-bear in the mall last night buying a birthday present for my youngest daughter ... when I went to pay, I pulled out a coin I thought was a nickel
but it just didn't look right ...

upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a 1921 Filipinas 5 Centavo coin, which apparently was minted during US control of the Phillipines.

It's basically the same size as a US nickel, so I figure someone must have passed it off as one somewhere along the line and it ended up as change for something I bought.

it looks very much like this one:

I doubt it's worth anything. Probably not even worth a nickel!

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2011 07:01PM by timg.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Odd coin in my pocket - 1921 US/Filipinas 5 Centavo
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 26, 2011 07:12PM
Send it to Rudie. Kwik.

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 26, 2011 07:27PM
First, I am NOT an expert at all when it comes to coins! I don't collect, nor do I buy or sell. I just like them. My apologies if this appears anything other than in the spirit of "Wow! Neat!"

According to "The Official Red Book -- A guide book of United States Coins", R.S. Yeoman, edited by Kenneth Bressett, 65th Ed, 2012, this is what is called a large-size five centavos copper-nickel coin. From 1903-1928, they were 20.5 mm in size, and from 1930-35 they were reduced to 19 mm in size. It was made in Manila.

For the year 1921, 2,131,529 were minted.

Prices range considerably from $7.00 for VF, $15.00 for EF, $100 for MS-60, and $210 for MS-63.
VF = Very fine. Moderate wear on high points of the design. All major details are clear.
EF = Extremely fine. Light wear on the design throughout, but all features are sharp and well defined. Traces of luster may show.
MS-60 = Uncirculated. A coin that has no trace of wear, but which may show a number of contact marks, and whose surface may be spotted or lack some luster.
MS-63 = Choice uncirculated. A coin with some distracting contact marks or blemishes in prime focal areas. Luster may be impaired.

This may be worth more than you think!
Posted by: timg
Date: September 26, 2011 07:35PM
Wow, thanks for the research!

Unfortunately, this coin is fairly worn, so I don't think it would be worth even the $7.00.

Probably not worth the effort to try to sell it. Maybe I'll offer it up on the next Free MondayTM

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 26, 2011 08:50PM
I'd take it!!

woot smiley
Posted by: hal
Date: September 26, 2011 09:21PM
I once found a nazi era silver quarter-sized coin, but before I could find it's value, my house was burglarized and a small dish full of silver coins was one of the few things they got away with before they were interrupted.

Now I KNOW that anything with a schwasticker (I have no idea how to spell that) on it AND was made of silver was melted down, so the thing probably had some value...

sigh...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 26, 2011 09:22PM
Very cool. It's fascinating how stuff gets circulated. And does anyone remember this case ?
[www.snopes.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020