Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Repair permissions? Huh...not working?
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 26, 2011 11:01PM
Quick question or two (like that's really gonna happen!):

On my 2011 i7 MBP, it sometimes gives me some "issues" such as applications crashing; I see (just for a second or less) something that should have already cleared, or the screen just "pixelates" and then fixes itself. Just tonight, I woke it up from last night, and I see for a second the background I saw when I booted it from the restore disk and ran disk utility, as well as the screen for disk utility, AFTER I had rebooted it back off from the hard drive! It quickly cleared itself up, and now appears normal. Last night, Safari went nuts as in the fans ramped up to warp 10 and this thing really began to throw the heat out. When I quit Safari, it went back to normal. A hardware check reveals "no problems." Thoughts on this?

I have two applications that have/had problems; one I fixed when I removed a buggy add-on, and the other I will seek help through the software company. I suspect I may be stressing the software more than the writers had originally thought.

Also, while I had it booted from the restore disk, and running disk utility, I verified/repaired the disk since it found a few problems, mainly with forks. These appear to have been fixed (from what I can tell). However, and there's the real question, when I run disk utility to repair permissions, it says it is repairing the issues or has repaired it, but when I run it again immediately afterwards, the SAME issues come up again. This happens regardless of whether I boot from the system disk, or the hard drive. Any thoughts on this issue?

These issues have been bugging me, but I don't know if it warrants taking it for a "genius" checkup. Do you guys have any particular things you prefer to run to ensure a clean, long-running, trouble-free system?

More system info: 2011 i7 MBP (as I said before) running 10.6.8, 8 GB ram. 750 GB hard drive, 300 GB available.

Diana
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Repair permissions? Huh...not working?
Posted by: decay
Date: September 26, 2011 11:13PM
[support.apple.com]

---
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 26, 2011 11:31PM
Diana
On my 2011 i7 MBP, it sometimes gives me some "issues" such as applications crashing;

If your computer does not have third-party RAM, there may be compatibility issues with the application or a plug-in for the application. If it does have third-party RAM, that may be the culprit.

Last night, Safari went nuts as in the fans ramped up to warp 10 and this thing really began to throw the heat out. When I quit Safari, it went back to normal.

Flash. Expunge it from your system.

...when I run disk utility to repair permissions, it says it is repairing the issues or has repaired it, but when I run it again immediately afterwards, the SAME issues come up again.

That's normal:

[support.apple.com]

Do you guys have any particular things you prefer to run to ensure a clean, long-running, trouble-free system?

I give software two chances. The third time it misbehaves, it's removed with extreme prejudice. I avoid utilities, interface fixers, most plug-ins, etc. My system is in active use at least 10 hours per day. It has never crashed.
Date: September 26, 2011 11:34PM
repost smileyban smileyrepost smileyban smileyrepost smileyban smileyrepost smileyban smileyrepost smileyban smileyrepost smileyban smileyrepost smileyban smileyrepost smileyban smileyrepost smileyban smiley

---
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: September 27, 2011 07:36AM
Diana
On my 2011 i7 MBP, it sometimes gives me some "issues" such as applications crashing; I see (just for a second or less) something that should have already cleared, or the screen just "pixelates" and then fixes itself. Just tonight, I woke it up from last night, and I see for a second the background I saw when I booted it from the restore disk and ran disk utility, as well as the screen for disk utility, AFTER I had rebooted it back off from the hard drive! It quickly cleared itself up, and now appears normal. Last night, Safari went nuts as in the fans ramped up to warp 10 and this thing really began to throw the heat out. When I quit Safari, it went back to normal. A hardware check reveals "no problems." Thoughts on this?

It nevertheless appears that you have a hardware problem.

The pixellated screen is a dead-giveaway.

My best guess is that it's overheating.

If you bring it to an Apple Store, tell them about the pixellated screen and the ramped up fans, they should take it overnight for diagnostics. If the "genius" give you any attitude, demand both a Service Diagnostics test and a stress-test.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 27, 2011 08:57AM
What does the log say?
Date: September 27, 2011 11:18AM
Thanks for the useful information.

The two applications in question are LibreOffice and Sente. LibreOffice is much more stable since I killed a plug-in for it, and in fact has not crashed since the plug-in died. No plug-ins were applied to Sente. I will be taking the issue up with the appropriate individuals as that is the best avenue to go.

The explanation for Safari explains much of what I've been seeing with that program. Somehow this doesn't surprise me. It becomes a memory hog if left up and running for too long, taking LARGE chunks of ram for no apparent reason and not relinquishing it unless Safari is closed and restarted. I'll see what I can do with this.

I have not checked the logs (in fact, I forgot about them!). I shall remedy the oversight.

Both 4GB ram sticks came from OWC, so it is possible (but not likely) that there is an issue with them. However, since the crashing issues are restricted to only two programs, it is more likely that the issue is/was with the applications themselves and not ram.

I rely on this machine far too much to immediately take it to the "genius" without making arrangements first. Thanks for the heads up. I may have to repossess the old MBP if the repairs are going to take long.

As I am sure someone would take offense to the rest of my comments, I am most tempted keep them to myself. But, as only one "dancing figure" and "ban sign" would have adequately got the point across, here you go:
Show spoiler
Apparently you found my question(s) tiresome. I apologize as I failed due diligence and didn't fulfill my obligation to extensively and exhaustively search all known avenues of knowledge before I posted. I choose to have no further conversation in regards to this, and I thank you for your instruction. Sarcastic? yes. That's just who I am. Too many late nights with not enough sleep tend to do that to me.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 27, 2011 12:39PM
Diana
Both 4GB ram sticks came from OWC, so it is possible (but not likely) that there is an issue with them. However, since the crashing issues are restricted to only two programs, it is more likely that the issue is/was with the applications themselves and not ram.

No, not necessarily. More than once I have seen RAM issues that affected a single application only. It all depends on an application or process accessing a defective part of physical RAM.

If you still have the computer's original RAM, you may want to try running the system on that RAM only.
Date: September 27, 2011 01:00PM
Article Accelerator
Diana

No, not necessarily. More than once I have seen RAM issues that affected a single application only. It all depends on an application or process accessing a defective part of physical RAM.

If you still have the computer's original RAM, you may want to try running the system on that RAM only.

I still have it. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Date: September 28, 2011 08:55AM
my ban/repost was a joke. smiling smiley

since someone filled a page with them for a repost i made recently.

did you run memtest in single user mode?

---
Date: September 28, 2011 01:19PM
decay
my ban/repost was a joke. smiling smiley

since someone filled a page with them for a repost i made recently.

did you run memtest in single user mode?

Sorry. Misunderstaning sucks. Anyways...

No I haven't tried memtest. In addition to my normal supposedly 8:30-5:00 job, I teach two nights a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays). Tonight I should have some time to check out all the stuff I need to look at. Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll let you know what I find.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020