advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
In-wall mold clean up advice?
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: September 28, 2011 02:20PM
Old house's 4" iron drain pipe from the 2nd floor bath had developed a crack/leak over some months, generating mold in a 1st fl closet and behind the closet's wall & ceiling. I cleaned off the mold seen so far w/hydrogen peroxide. The plumbing repair will open up more of the closet wall over the next few days. What else should I do?

I've read that TSP is typically used, would that necessarily be better than peroxide? The peroxide definitely kills the mold (& fizzes!).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2011 02:26PM by Psurfer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: In-wall mold clean up advice?
Posted by: Spock
Date: September 28, 2011 02:31PM
Move.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 28, 2011 02:35PM
Dust off, nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.

(I'd think Bleach, myself... )

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: DRR
Date: September 28, 2011 02:38PM
The best thing to do is not to try to clean, but to replace as many affected surfaces as possible.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 28, 2011 02:50PM
meh. Mold spores are all around. A few spots ain't gonna kill ya. If it was giant mushroom season in the closet then yeah.. get aggressiive. The whole 'mold mitigation' industry lives on FUD.

However.. some people (like me) are allergic / susceptible. So clean, replace bits of ceiling, wall, and flooring that are all rotted away anyway. Bleach works nicely. Peroxide is a lower impact oxidizing agent like bleath, works a treat as well.

You CAN go around and buy expensive 'mold cleaner' sprays and whatnot. Unless you buy "Monster" cables are are therefore a sucker, I would not recommend it !
Posted by: Diana
Date: September 28, 2011 02:53PM
One of the most commonly used compound for mold eradication for home use is household bleach. I don't remember if it is used full strength or not; spray on areas where mold is growing, and well saturate the area. If it is in sheet rock, take the sheet rock down and replace with new as you'll never be able to eradicate the mold from it. Make sure you spray the studs behind the sheet rock as it can harbor mold spores, and let it dry thoroughly before putting up new sheet rock.

Peroxide will work, but as the spores are rather hardy you may not get them all. This reaction is much the same as in respiration, where oxygen is converted through a cascade of events to water. In the process, hydrogen peroxide and associated free radicals are formed and so living systems have enzymatic defenses against both peroxides and the radicals generated in the process. In short, it may not get all of the spores or it may damage them but not kill them. The spores have no defense against hypochlorite solutions (such as bleach).

If this were my house, I would take the sheet rock (or plaster) down for all the areas showing mold growth, treat with bleach, and when dry replace the sheet rock. You may have to do more than one treatment depending on how bad the mold is. Its a messy job, so be sure to wear at least a particle mask (or better) to block the tiny mold spores from your lungs and take appropriate precautions to keep the mess from drifting from this one room to the surrounding ones.

Or hire someone to do the job for you, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Good luck.

Diana
Posted by: billb
Date: September 28, 2011 02:54PM
TSP or baking soda or spic and span cleaner is supposed to help

and adding vinegar to the bleach is supposed to help if you do that before the TSP.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 28, 2011 03:20PM
Bleach. I would not even cut it with water for the first wash. and I'd leave it a little wet and allow it to air dry.
Posted by: bedouin
Date: September 28, 2011 04:03PM
Bleach will not kill the mold. Use a simple product like Moldzyme. I get it at a local health food store. You can always buy it online.

When they go into replace the pipe, probably thru the closet, remove everything out of the room. Plastic over the carpets, etc.

Tape plastic over the air vents - you don't want mold in your a/c and ducts.

Replace the entire sheet of drywall in the closet. Put the pieces it in heavy back trash bags - don't take it out of the closet.

Spray the Moldzyme on the 2x4's etc.

Better safe than sorry.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 28, 2011 04:36PM
billb

and adding vinegar to the bleach is supposed to help if you do that before the TSP.

vinegar (acetic acid) plush bleach = chlorine gas. Are you insane or just ignorant?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 28, 2011 06:53PM
Racer.. but then the mold won't be a problem to anyone other than the heirs....
Posted by: billb
Date: September 28, 2011 08:18PM
Racer X
billb

vinegar (acetic acid) plush bleach = chlorine gas. Are you insane or just ignorant?

Hypochlorous acid is one heck of a disinfectant and oxidizer.
No one said to mix 5 gallons of each and then close yourself off in a tightly sealed room with little oxygen so as to also destroy mucous membranes along with the mold.

Mixing the two and making the gas isn't what's dangerous, inhaling the fumes is.
Don't do that.

:-)
If you want to kill surface mold with bleach it's a hell of a way to do it.
Still won't penetrate porous surfaces, though.

You might want to be really careful not to use ammonia instead of the vinegar, though.
Hydrochloric acid and chloramine gas isn't good for you even in a well ventilated room.
That would be both insane and stupid.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2011 08:29PM by billb.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: September 28, 2011 09:10PM
Thanks for all suggestions so far.
I don't even want to inhale a whiff of bleach if I can help it.
Good idea about covering the vents; AC's not turned on lately, but there is a vent close to the closet that I'll tape up.
Posted by: chopper
Date: September 28, 2011 09:55PM
Someone should do a parody of this forum somewhere. Jesus comes in, asks for help feeding the poor, raising the dead, curing the sick, making the blind see. RacerX and Cbelt unleash on him. YOU WANT LEPROSY? ARE YOU INSANE OR JUST IGNORANT?
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: September 29, 2011 12:53PM
bedouin
Bleach will not kill the mold. Use a simple product like Moldzyme. I get it at a local health food store. You can always buy it online.

Yep, it's a common misconception that bleach will kill mold. It doesn't. It kills the outer layer only and will grow back. A friend of mine actually did a scientific study to prove that bleach doesn't kill mold.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020