advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another annoyingly personal, personal care question: sweating on face/forehead
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 24, 2006 10:08PM
With the hot weather, I'm finding I'm sweating quite a lot, especially in the head area (especially the forehead), which can be a problem if you need to look cool and collected-- say as for photos. I don't know that what I have is truly "excessive sweating", it's just mostly a problem with hot weather, and kind of annoying. For what it's worth, I'm also the type of person who is always "too hot" and feeling overheated... not sure why (I've always been this way)... AC is my friend.

Does anyone know if there is/are antiperspirants you can use for areas other than underarms, such as the face? (I might think to use talcum powder, but obviously for your face, that's no good...)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another annoyingly personal, personal care question: sweating on face/forehead
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 24, 2006 10:40PM
Sweating on the forehead? Obviously you are guilty of something. Confess!

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Re: Another annoyingly personal, personal care question: sweating on face/forehead
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 24, 2006 10:42PM
How about a headband?

Are you getting the same humidity up in Boston? This morning I walked to the local farmer's market, and by the time I got home I felt like I'd been dipped in snot and rolled in kitty litter.

Later I had the pleasure of being out during the torrential downpour portion of the day's meteorological entertainment. The "street fair" on 2nd Ave. looked especially pathetic. So nice to know that even monsoons can't shut down these stupid traffic obstructions.
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 24, 2006 10:51PM
We had rain all morning in western mass, but sun in the afternoon. But humid and lots of sweating ensued. Not that you need to know the details.

"torrential downpour portion of the day's meteorological entertainment"
LOL ka jowct

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Kiva
Date: June 24, 2006 10:54PM
i have a coworker that has things problem and he carries a handkerchief / headband in his pocket and wipes throughout the day....that dude sweats 24/7...he's kind of overweight though, which may contribute to the problem..

kiva

----------------------
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 24, 2006 11:09PM
he carries a handkerchief / headband in his pocket and wipes throughout the day....that dude sweats 24/7...he's kind of overweight though, which may contribute to the problem.

It's probably because of the video cams he has installed in every stall in the employee bathrooms.
Date: June 24, 2006 11:15PM
ka jowct
How about a headband?

Are you getting the same humidity up in Boston? This morning I walked to the local farmer's market, and by the time I got home I felt like I'd been dipped in snot and rolled in kitty litter.

Yes, that's pretty much how I felt the last couple of days.

And yep, no question that weight plays a part in it-- though like I said, my whole life I've always felt "overheated" relative to other people (especially women, who mostly seem to want it roasting).

Yes, it has been super-humid all up and down the East coast lately. Certainly that factors into it (and not merely the temperature).

The handkerchief idea has been mentioned to me already, but... if possible, I'd rather not be having to wipe myself every 10 minutes! And a headband is obviously out if you're having pictures taken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2006 11:16PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Phy
Date: June 24, 2006 11:16PM
ka jowct
... by the time I got home I felt like I'd been dipped in snot and rolled in kitty litter.
Kajowct, you do have a way with the language!
Almost choked on an ice cube laughing!
Posted by: Big Daddy Cool
Date: June 24, 2006 11:19PM
similar problem. I haven't done much research, but look into Botox
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 24, 2006 11:35PM
PeterB

The handkerchief idea has been mentioned to me already, but... if possible, I'd rather not be having to wipe myself every 10 minutes! And a headband is obviously out if you're having pictures taken.

Just wondering why Peter is having his picture taken all day. I thought that industry was located in the San Fernando Valley.
Posted by: h'
Date: June 24, 2006 11:43PM
Terry-lined doo-rag

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: June 25, 2006 12:00AM
ka jowct
This morning I walked to the local farmer's market, and by the time I got home I felt like I'd been dipped in snot and rolled in kitty litter.
What vivid pictures you paint with words! I bow before the mistress of colorful descriptions!

Peter, I have much the same problem as you. Every part of me sweats profusely (No, y'all can't have my phone number...I'm taken. ;) ). Since I'm constantly exposed to Alabama's stultifying humidity, it's something I've learned to live with.
However, to back up h's second suggestion, I've found that I don't sweat at all when I'm in the desert of Northern Nevada in or around Reno. Or if I do, it evaporates so quickly as to make sweating a non-issue. You might find a trip to this area an exceedingly refreshing break from being sopping wet all the time.
As for preventing sweat while in Boston, I have not a single suggestion. The best you can do is carry a hanky and wring it out often.
Posted by: h'
Date: June 25, 2006 01:43AM
Thrift Store Scott
However, to back up h's second suggestion, I've found that I don't sweat at all when I'm in the desert of Northern Nevada in or around Reno.
Er . . ah . . . thanks for the backup (heh heh)

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: June 25, 2006 02:07AM
Outside of picture day, when a handkerchief is probably your best solution, do you dress casually?

Because in addition to skull-cap doo-rags, you could also get a bandana and tie it over your head. Lots of folks think that's a cool look. Combine it with a tie dye and you're set. smiling smiley

And have you checked out those cooling-things that fit around the neck? When you cool the neck, the whole head feels cool (one word of warning: cooling of the blood vessels in the FRONT of the neck with an ice pack can cause fainting).

Anyway, there are two ways of doing it. One is the classic evaporative cooler...
[www.amazon.com]

Another is a freezer pack...
[www.amazon.com]

You could probably find a similar item in any decent outdoors store.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: June 25, 2006 07:33AM
What were the other annoyingly personal, personal care questions? I must have missed those.
Posted by: dmann
Date: June 25, 2006 09:06AM
I have the same problem and it is both uncomfortable and embarassing. This happens with the slightest exertion (taking groceries in and out of the car, housework, strolling down the block) regardless of the weather- I can be sweating away when it is below freezing outside!

I did talk to my doctor about it and asked if it would stop when I lose weight. She seemed to think this was part of my genetic makeup and losing weight won't help.

I have thought about Botox but haven't done any real reasearch on it yet.

DM
Posted by: trisho.
Date: June 25, 2006 12:35PM
Yeah, what were the other personal care questions? And what does Botox do your sweat glands? I've never really heard about that. Does it close them up or something?

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Date: June 25, 2006 12:48PM
I'm not overweight. I do "run hot" and have forehead sweat, but not anywhere else It has nothing to do with physical activity, and I carry a bandana or handkercheif in my backpocket (even in the winter!)

Botox has been approved for sweaty palms, but I don't think it has been yet for forheads. My dermatologist is looking out for tests and will try to get me in on one.

If I didn't have testicles (and only 37), I'd think I was in menopause.
Date: June 25, 2006 02:29PM
Big Daddy Cool
If I didn't have testicles (and only 37), I'd think I was in menopause.

[www.epigee.org]
Date: June 25, 2006 04:27PM
The other "personal, personal care" questions (at least, one of them) was in one of the threads below-- it was about shaving in the shower, and only got a single (but helpful) response!

Yes, I have heard that this is genetic and may not have all that much to do with being overweight (but it of course doesn't help) -- I'm guessing that it is at least something metabolic and/or individual to the person, because even when I was TOO thin relative to my height (for awhile I was really, really thin) I was always feeling "overheated". And the other thing is that it doesn't make sense that I sweat more on my forehead and face than I do in other areas (see below).

Today for the heck of it, I tried putting some antiperspirant (the same stuff I use for underarms) on my forehead to see what would happen-- even though they say on the label that it's for use with the underarms only, I figured that since the underarm is a fairly sensitive skin area, it should be OK for the forehead. (And worst case scenario, I thought it might start to itch, in which case I could just wash it off.) It's the clear stuff so it won't be visible, but is scented so of course it may smell a bit, but not too badly. It was pretty interesting-- it didn't seem to itch or cause any skin irritation, but it also didn't actually seem to help all that much. In the beginning it did seem to keep my forehead dry; but then later I started to sweat like crazy, and so it was almost as if the antiperspirant wasn't really preventing me from sweating-- just soaking up what was there, and not doing it fully or getting overwhelmed by my sweating. The other thing was that because for awhile the sweat wasn't really developing, I seemed to be getting or feeling even hotter, which may have in turn triggered even more sweating. So it was pretty odd. And the other thing that's weird about it-- in the process of doing this little "experiment", I also discovered that I seem to sweat more on my face than I do my underarms, trunk, etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2006 04:30PM by PeterB.
Date: June 25, 2006 05:38PM
MacMAgus–

thanks, I was merely making a joke, and thankfully don't have any of those other symptoms. But my breasts are tender when I'm nursing, lol

Anti-perspirant on your forehead is a bad idea– you dont wan't that stuff dripping into your eyes and mouth.
Date: June 25, 2006 06:29PM
Big Daddy Cool, yes, I thought about that too. Luckily there are eyebrows between forehead and eyes grinning smiley ... but you're right, it's not ideal. I guess I can go the handkerchief route, it just looks sort of stupid to be mopping up perspiration all the time...

Posted by: trisho.
Date: June 25, 2006 06:37PM
PeterB
I guess I can go the handkerchief route, it just looks sort of stupid to be mopping up perspiration all the time...

Just pretend you're a Southern lawyer in a hot courtroom. Better yet, a Southern preacher in a hot church. Try your best accent and Bible affectations.

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Date: June 25, 2006 07:35PM
trisho, yeah, that's me (smirk, rolls eyes)

Date: June 25, 2006 07:47PM
Oh yeah, what about this...

[www.sharperimagebest.com]

[Edit] Note that the link IS NOT to the Sharper Image... it's just the first thing that popped up in Google and I have no idea if the vendor is any good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2006 07:48PM by MacMagus.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: June 25, 2006 08:14PM
trisho.
PeterB
I guess I can go the handkerchief route, it just looks sort of stupid to be mopping up perspiration all the time...

Just pretend you're a Southern lawyer in a hot courtroom. Better yet, a Southern preacher in a hot church. Try your best accent and Bible affectations.

Aw man, Trisho took the words right out of my mouth...er, typing finger.
Peter, you could always try channelling the ghost of Jerry Clower. He certainly was never shy about mopping himself with a handkerchief. smiling smiley
Seriously though, sweating only means you're human. I'd be much more suspicious of someone who didn't sweat during hot weather.
Date: June 25, 2006 08:52PM
> I'd be much more suspicious of someone who didn't sweat during hot weather.

Yes, those Lizardmen can turn up anywhere!

Date: June 26, 2006 12:05AM
MacMagus, I loved that series...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020