advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A Philly story; should this guy be sent packing
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 25, 2006 06:55AM
It's just plain wrong. It's an embarrassment to baseball and an embarrassment to the Phillies. At the very least, Myers would have been better off if he'd been sent home to start counseling with his wife. Or maybe someone in authority could have condemned domestic violence -- in the generic sense. Instead all we got was ``the game must go on" -- 36 hours after a man was arrested for beating his wife.

According to the Phillies press guide, Myers was an amateur boxer until he was 13 years old. Now, if we can believe the Boston police and a couple of eyewitnesses, he just hits women half his size.

The Phillies came to Boston Thursday night around 8:30 and set up shop in the Sheraton. After midnight, Myers was seen hitting his wife and dragging her by the hair near the hotel. Multiple 911 calls were made by witnesses.

In a telephone interview with the Globe's Suzanne Smalley, 26-year-old Courtney Knight said, ``He was dragging her by the hair and slapping her across the face. She was yelling, `I'm not going to let you do this to me anymore' . . . She's a real small girl. It was awful."

The 25-year-old Myers is 6 feet 4 inches and weighs 240 pounds. His wife is 5-4 and weighs 120.

``He had her on the ground," Knight said. ``He was trying to get her to go, and she was resisting. She curled up and sat on the ground."

Thirty-year-old Sly Egidio, who was with Knight, added, ``I watched him just haul off and smack her in the face . . . This was violent. This was wrong."

Boston police responded and found Kim Myers sitting on a sidewalk, crying. According to police, the left side of her face appeared swollen. She told police that her husband hit her in the face with his fist. Twice. Myers was arrested on charges of assault and battery and later released from District 4 station after his wife posted bail. Arraigned in Boston Municipal Court Friday, he pleaded not guilty, and his next court date is Aug. 4.

Wearing sunglasses on a rainy afternoon, Myers arrived at Fenway Friday. Rather than have reporters chasing Myers around the ballpark, the club arranged a brief group interview in the visitors dugout and the pitcher said, ``My lawyers have advised me not to comment on the issue." He also said he would be able to put the incident behind him and focus on baseball. ``Once you cross those lines, it's totally different," he said.

Philadelphia manager Charlie Manuel and general manager Pat Gillick pledged their support (``not a big distraction" said Manuel) and the club issued a statement that read, in part, ``Out of respect for the privacy of both Kim and Brett Myers, the Phillies will not comment on the incident until the matter is resolved by the Court."

Patrick Courtney, a spokesman for Major League Baseball, said, ``We have to wait until the justice system runs its course before we can really comment on it."
[tinyurl.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A Philly story; should this guy be sent packing
Posted by: spearmint
Date: June 25, 2006 07:36AM
Belongs in jail from description. Probably get anger management training,

Da Good Life
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: June 25, 2006 09:31AM
Chances are this isn't the first time he's abused her; physically or psychologically. They are both stuck in the pattern of abuse. Both of them need serious help.

It's a painful subject and hit close to home. My sister was married to a very abusive
@#%! It was very hard to see her stuck in the pattern of abuse. Every time I would help her move out her stuff at 1am or 5am (whenever the fight was over); she would move back in with him after a day or two.

Her husband was the kind of person that it would be easy to empty a clip of bullets into. But unless she sought treatment, she would probably fall into the same situation in another relationship.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 25, 2006 12:51PM
The baseball fans of the world will probably hate me for saying this, but I consider this a wonderful opportunity to send a strong message to abusers everywhere. The guy should be suspended - without pay - until the legal proceedings are complete. If by some stroke of underhanded bribe he's found not guilty, then he can be given his back pay and return to the game. If he's found guilty, he shouldn't be allowed to play again until he's proven he's undergoing some kind of appropriate treatment.

These players are looked up to by millions of young people. The kind of behavior described shouldn't be swept under the rug, nor should it be backhandedly condoned by comments such as, "We have to wait until the justice system runs its course before we can really comment on it."
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 25, 2006 01:25PM
Alpha-
I think basball fans will applaud your suggestion. We've been through this with football, basketball, college sports, etc. I know some people argue " you pay them for what they do on the field, off the field is their problem", but bad behaviour OFF the field puts the team in a poor light. If it hurts the team, it's up to the team to take steps.

And someone who hits their spouse is NOT a 'good sportsman' in life.
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 25, 2006 01:36PM
End of story:

"Myers was released immediately after being booked when his wife posted the $200 bail."
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: June 25, 2006 02:26PM
Unfortunately, bfd, there are a lot of women who behave the same way. What Mrs. Myers really needs to do is leave him, leave the house, and seek treatment, but it takes a very brave woman to do that.

Alpha, I am a baseball fan and I agree that he needs to be suspended. Surely there is a clause in his contract that covers conduct unbecoming. The Phillies should exercise it.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 25, 2006 03:51PM
It's nice to know I'm in the company of civilized people. smiling smiley Unfortunately, I think you guys aren't as common as what the world needs.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 25, 2006 04:47PM
What's really sad is if he was caught with a joint, he'd probably still be in jail and put on the inactive list immediately.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: June 25, 2006 09:52PM
Someone 100 lbs heavier & stronger than he needs to beat his ass down.

Or like the civilized have said, suspended WITHOUT PAY until the court date.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 26, 2006 01:11PM
...and later released from District 4 station after his wife posted bail.

This upsets me almost as much as the original story/crime angers me, assuming the story is accurate.

I've seen this type of behavior many times. Women beaten far more severely then Kim Meyers post bail and refuse to file a complaint in court. This would seem to be a classic symptom of a cycle that needs to be broken.

It's very disheartening at the very least, to hear the wife later defend the criminal actions with "But I love him", "He really loves me", and "He promises it won't happen again". Never heard the "It was my fault" defense, but I know others who have.

Many years ago (better late than never) CA passed a domestic violence law that made arrest and charging mandatory if there was evidence of spousal abuse. This also made the State the accuser, taking the victim out of the decision making for prosecution.

This isn't a perfect solution by any means, but it probably has saved some lives, perhaps more lives in the long run, and allowed some women to break that cycle of violence, escaping, if need be.

While street justice is a satisfying alternative for some folks (I admit to wishing it upon some perpetrators), violent people like Meyers (these types are sometimes referred to as "Mr. Wonderful") almost always refuse to respond to such "treatment". There may be some personal satisfaction, but it's usually short lived. Often the victim then pays an even higher price in received violence.

I believe some jail time and extensive anger management programs are a real help, for one if not both parties. Even that doesn't always work, but it's a start.

There are probably more pertinent reasons for Meyers criminal (alleged!) activity than boxing during early childhood. There were probably some parenting skills missing, as well. This is not to blame it all on the parents, but I think that probably played a big part.

I don't know if Meyers will ever learn to respect women in general, and his wife in particular, but Kim needs to do something herself, until he does.

I wish her luck.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020