advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How does one teach a dog to swim?
Posted by: kap
Date: June 25, 2006 05:27PM
I put my 5 year old terrier mutt in the shallow part of our pool near the steps. He panicked so bad we thought he was going to sink!

Tia

Kap

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How does one teach a dog to swim?
Posted by: iaJim
Date: June 25, 2006 05:36PM
Did he sink? Maybe he doesn't want to swim. I think that if it came down to it, that he would be able to swim, but he might prefer to be a drylander.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 25, 2006 05:39PM
Coax him in when you're all ready in there ?

All my dogs were part duck.
Keeping them out was the problem.

(except the tub, none really liked baths/ prefered to smell like a dog)
Date: June 25, 2006 05:44PM
No, he didn't sink; he managed to get to the steps and got out of the pool every time. I have seen dogs swim before. Ours looked odd ... all four paws were paddling the water but his body was under and his head was above. It was like he was swimming standing up! After about 6 times, S/O told me not to put him the pool any more. I held him while sitting on the steps. He was clinging to me with all his might.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 25, 2006 05:54PM
Threw him in the lake. He's a golden, so there was no problem.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 25, 2006 05:59PM
If he wants to swim, he will go in following you. If he stays on the bank and whines, forget it. Don't force him.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: June 25, 2006 06:04PM
He's neither a Golden Retriever nor a lab, Lux. It's him in my sign. He's a 12 lbs terrier mutt. He doesn't like to get wet but he doesn't fight when he's given a bath. On the contrary, he's very well-behaved. The previous owner/s must have trained him well or it is just his nature.

Billb,
Before we put him the pool, we did try to coax him. He knew it so he took off running.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Date: June 25, 2006 07:11PM
Sounds like he can swim well enough, but just doesn't enjoy it.

Maybe try a beach type environment with a more gradual slope to water entry ?

My sister's lab wouldn't go in the pool alone, but you couldn't keep her out of the ocean at the beach.

I had a poodle that could be coaxed in, but I had to be in the water, and he would swim around for a bit and get back out, as if to say "this is too much work, and now look, I look like a drowned rat".
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 25, 2006 07:12PM
Last year it was your niece. This year your dog. What's next? Next June you will be asking how to get your Boston Fern to tread water.
Date: June 25, 2006 07:25PM
LOL ..Racer X.
Good memory! My lit' 6 year old cousin loves to swim. She's getting good at it. Can't get her out of the pool tho' she's a bit apprehensive of the ocean.

My doggie, on the other hand, is afraid of many things. He freaks out sitting in the baby trailer on an occasional bike ride with me.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Date: June 25, 2006 08:52PM
If you get him to do the breaststroke, post pics .....
:-)
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: June 25, 2006 09:14PM
My first dog wouldn't go into the lake on her own at first. Then she followed me up on to the dock and she jumped into the back of the ski boat. She then ran to the front of the boat and tried to jump back onto the dock, but since the front of the boat is pointed and thusly farther away from the dock, she missed the dock and landed in the water. She came up swimming and after that I couldn't keep her out of the water.

Steve
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: June 25, 2006 10:02PM
Keep in mind that some dogs can't swim due to body mass issues. Bassetts may swim but tend to be heavy in the chest and go down. My neighbor's Lhasa almost drowned when she put her in the water and greyhounds...well, let's not even go there. I believe terriers are fine in the water but the age may be the reason for the panic. I tend to expose all my dogs to water as puppies. Good luck.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Posted by: trisho.
Date: June 25, 2006 11:32PM
You have to teach dogs to swim? I thought it was something inherent in their nature they just figured out pretty quickly...Humans on the other hand...

(Confession: I don't know how to swim)

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Date: June 26, 2006 12:17AM
Jack D,
Our mutt is partial Lhaso among other terrier breeds so we should be careful about his swimming (sinking) capability.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: June 26, 2006 08:04AM
Can a full bathtub for a small dog be a starter? Or make baths impossible?

Da Good Life
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 26, 2006 08:32AM
I don't believe in torturing small creatures, and that includes trying to teach scared dogs to swim! smiling smiley That said, I understand why you want to assure yourself that he can, because of the pool in the backyard. The bad news is that it may never work. My friend had three dogs. Two of them love to swim, and her problem is keeping them out of the pool so the people can enjoy it. The third dog never wanted to go in, in spite of coaxing, cajoling, and going through a routine similar to what you've been doing. The closest she'd get was to occasionally stand at the edge and get a drink. A few months ago, my friend's husband came home and found the female dead in the pool. She'd either fallen in the deep end or one of her rowdy brothers had knocked her in. It's hard to know for sure what happened, but she apparently was so terrified that she couldn't/wouldn't/didn't try to swim to the shallower area and use the steps.

If the dog is afraid of the water, my best advice is to simply behave as if he was a small child and not allow him out by the pool unless there's an adult around.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: June 26, 2006 08:48AM
that's not a dog, that's a hamster! smiling smiley

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 26, 2006 09:17AM
Alpha, that's a sad story. (sniff). Sounds like pool alarms are needed for children and dogs...

kap, none of our dogs likes to swim per se. The lhasa basically sinks, so even though she likes to sit on the pool side and bark, she doesn't go in. The Pomeranians come up for drinks, but no way are they going in. The Rat Terrier hopped in one day, paddled around a bit, but had trouble keeping above water. The chihuahua, however, will dive into anything as long as my wife is in it. She'll paddle bravely, but just won't float well.

I agree with the note above- many dogs just are not capable of swimming. Think about the breed and what they are genetically predisposed to do. Retrievers of all stripes are, of course, part duck. Dogs bred to run in deserts and the like won't need to swim, and Lhasas are bred to handle water only in frozen form (Tibet).
Date: June 26, 2006 09:45AM
AlphaDog,
That is a sad story indeed. I am hoping even more now that our doggie, on his own free, will will eventually join us in the pool once he sees how much fun it can be.

Thanks for all the advice.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Greg the dogsitter
Date: June 26, 2006 12:24PM
I'd seriously imagine a terrier would gravitate more towards dirt-oriented activities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2006 12:32PM by Greg the dogsitter.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 26, 2006 12:29PM
Well, who's defining "fun" here? smiling smiley
Posted by: dmann
Date: June 26, 2006 12:37PM
I took Cooper to the dog beach this weekend and while he had fun running around on the sand he showed absolutely no interest in getting in the water. I wasn't sure what to expect but since he is timid by nature I wasn't surprised.

There were TONS of dogs in the water and most were big retrievers and labs. They were having the best time!

DM
Posted by: MacGurl
Date: June 26, 2006 01:01PM
Jet was still a very young pup when he was playing out on a frozen bit of a lake here. He saw bird fly over, gave chase, and ran right off of the edge of the ice into the water. Then he was like "Ahh haa - so this is what I'm supposed to do, it's not just for wading in."
He loves swimming and took to it like a duck.

Kathy

Date: June 26, 2006 04:42PM
I am singing "Let It Be" right now.

Kap

SoCal for now.
Posted by: fauch
Date: June 27, 2006 06:36AM
The same way you sink the Polish Navy.......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020