advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: Steve RIP
Posted by: Black
Date: October 05, 2011 09:20PM
Nice comprehensive piece in Bloomberg (sorry if I missed it in this thread somewhere):
[www.bloomberg.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: October 05, 2011 09:21PM
Never met him in person. Got close once at Macworld one time when he was on the floor, but the crowds were crazy! Spent many a cold, dreary, very early morning waiting line to catch a Stevenote. The vision and innovation that he possessed was unparalleled. I can't even imagine what I would be doing right now if it were not for the Macintosh. So long Steve, may peace be with you and your family now.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: decay
Date: October 05, 2011 09:23PM
Stanford commencement speech VIDEO:

[www.ted.com]

---
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: October 05, 2011 09:24PM
Amen.

=TC
Posted by: DavidS
Date: October 05, 2011 09:24PM
Nice stuff on Anderson Cooper right now. Interviewed Woz a few minutes ago, then montage, now speaking with Ronald Wayne.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: October 05, 2011 09:29PM
And there may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented.

Interesting thought. True for me...as well as my wife, and I honestly didn't even know if she knew who he was.

Wouldn't have thought that my 6th grader did, but he said "we'll definitely be talking about this in school tomorrow."
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 05, 2011 09:30PM
of course, I wish I had attended a keynote back in the Boston MW days of the 90s when I think Steve did one, maybe in 97 or 98...?

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: jesse
Date: October 05, 2011 09:32PM
Seems strange to be so affected by the passing of someone I never met, but I can't help how sad this makes me.

RIP Steve
Posted by: GeneH
Date: October 05, 2011 09:33PM
What can one say about Steve Jobs and his impact on the world that hasn't been said before? Words fail us - me and everyone else.

We loved you like the brother you are to us all. R.I.P. Steve Jobs.
Posted by: 3d
Date: October 05, 2011 09:33PM
pinkoos
I rather like this picture of him. Humanizes him and brings him back down to Earth. From SFGate.com.

Thank you for posting this photo. Extremely touching.
Date: October 05, 2011 09:36PM

"The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come. For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it's been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely."
— Bill Gates

wired.com

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Winston
Date: October 05, 2011 09:39PM
I was OK until I watched one of the videos. Macs have been part of my life since 1984.

As someone who has often struggled to figure out where to make an effort in my life, Steve Jobs' life really is an inspiration. He didn't just want things done well, but done so they were "insanely great". I hope his message continues to drive Apple and many others for a long time. The world is better for it.

Mr. Mac is dead. Long live the Mac (and all the iDevices).

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: October 05, 2011 09:40PM
RIP Steve, you made us all think different.

Date: October 05, 2011 09:54PM
this mosaic art is cool:

[www.behance.net]

---
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 05, 2011 09:54PM
gl, thanks for the quote. It was indeed nicely done.

I rather like this picture of him. Humanizes him and brings him back down to Earth.

In *our* minds.

I have no doubts he was well grounded long before that picture was taken.

It does much to counter the typical disparaging comments made by people who think they know/knew Jobs without ever having met him.

That All Things D video was great, although the full length version was even better. (I could have done without Uncle Walty, though.) There were a lot more interesting quips, especially by Jobs. It shows how quick he is on his feet, so to speak.

One of my favorite parts is Bill Gates trying to tell the story about how some MS code ended up in a "special edition" Apple. After faltering for a few seconds, trying to start the story, Gates is interrupted by Jobs "Let me tell the story..."

That really cracked me up.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: October 05, 2011 10:03PM
One of my favorite parts is Bill Gates trying to tell the story about how some MS code ended up in a "special edition" Apple. After faltering for a few seconds, trying to start the story, Gates is interrupted by Jobs "Let me tell the story..."

I have to admit to being a bit wide-eyed at how much Steve chokes up toward the end of the video. It's as if he knows that that may be one of his last times with Bill in that sort of setting.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 05, 2011 10:03PM
One part of Insanely Great is gone. I wonder if he ever talked to his birth father....

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: October 05, 2011 10:06PM
Posted this on a HotAir thread,

[hotair.com]

which (as usual) has both laudatory and snarky comments:

I bought my first Mac on release day in 1984. Steve Jobs will go down as one of America’s greatest inventors, and joins the ranks of Bell, Edison and Singer. Long live Apple.
Jocundus on October 5, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Agree entirely.

We had an IBM PC-XT in the office where I worked back in 1984. I could not for the life of me fathom what was going on in the thing, which had to be accessed with arcane white-letter commands on a green screen.

Then in 1987 a new employee insisted on a Macintosh SE. She knew a ‘Mac designer’ who could do layouts and typography on the screen, without pasteboards and Linotronic typesetters. Even a used SE at that time was quite expensive, but we got one, with a 20 MB hard drive. It was a revelation to me; the Graphical User Interface opened the door to me with the desktop metaphor, on which one could see the various drives and their hierarchical contents. I never looked back, getting more SEs, toting one in a large shoulder bag on trips. I learned desktop publishing, spreadsheets, and databases, and of course abandoned my typewriters; I ran a small business on that computer, later graduating to Mac IIs and the others to come. I’m writing this on my gorgeous iMac 27", running Snow Leopard.

Yes, Steve and company borrowed ideas for the Macintosh from a Xerox lab, but the team that developed the Mac under his direction produced innovation after innovation. Read Steven Levy’s Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer that Changed Everything.

Steve Jobs changed everything for me.

/Mr Lynn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 10:29PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 05, 2011 10:11PM
rgG
I wonder if this is why Tim Cook and the others were somewhat subdued yesterday. They had to have known the time was near.
That occurred to me as well.

Posted by: Spiff
Date: October 05, 2011 10:20PM
I have been expecting this for the past several months. Did not make the news any easier. Kinda blind sided me. And yes, I almost cried. However, I was in the men's locker room at Gold's Gym...

RIP Mr. Jobs.

Leader.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: October 05, 2011 10:23PM
I drank the Kool-Aid at least 25 years ago, and have not regretted it, not once. Thank you, Steve Jobs. May you rest in peace, now that you have changed our world.
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: October 05, 2011 10:25PM
I'm so sad. It's been such a great ride, and Steve kept things so interesting along the way. I've been a fan since the early days and I miss him already. Thanks, Steve.
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: October 05, 2011 10:25PM
I didn't want to come here tonight...I knew that if/when I did, I'd feel the full weight of this news.

I was oblivious to the news for about 40 min after the announcement (thanks to commuting). When I dropped my coworker off at our meet-up spot, I stopped to check my iphone. I was met by the AP announcement and texts from several friends. Definitely sad news - I couldn't help but gasp. It's obvious he changed all our lives. Here's what I wrote elsewhere earlier this evening:

Nothing to say that hasn't already been said - RIP Steve Jobs. I'll hug my iPhone a little tighter tonight.

Most people either love or hate Apple. One thing cannot be denied - Steve Jobs was a visionary. My love affair with Macs & all things Apple began in 1985 - when my dad brought home a Mac. It's what inspired me to be what I am today. Whether you like Apple or not, the world would be a lot more bland without Steve Job's contributions. RIP Steve - I only wish you would have been able to stick around a lot longer to enjoy your "retirement"...
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: October 05, 2011 10:27PM
I've been using Macs since 1984. In essence this man's vision has been part of my life for over 27 years.

It has made it easier and with the iPhone, has made the world more accessible, no, it has allowed the world to come to me in the palm of my hand.

I'm not sure anyone else in our lifetime will have the unique ability to interweave technologies and to see three steps into the future.

His love for Apple was undeniable and that love is evident on your desktop and these days in your pockets.

RIP Mr. Jobs. While you lived, you gave it your all. And for that, we are very thankful.

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 10:29PM by Grumpyguy.
Posted by: stephen
Date: October 05, 2011 10:29PM
I was kind of having a bad day before I heard the news. Trying to creative direct a project, not loving what I'm seeing, struggling to motivate my team. After a good bit of crying, I just went home. I'm going to get a good night of sleep and go back in motivated like never before to make things happen. Want to follow his excellent example.
Date: October 05, 2011 10:31PM
it will be too warm for a black turtleneck tomorrow.

maybe on Steve Jobs day on the 14th.

[stevejobsday2011.com]

---
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 05, 2011 10:38PM
stephen
I'm going to get a good night of sleep and go back in motivated like never before to make things happen. Want to follow his excellent example.

I have already spent the last hour getting a whole series of 'little, annoying' things off my to do list so I can think how to follow SJs example in whatever way I can. I knew I was not going to be able to sleep.

May his memory live on - and not just in our iPhones, Macs, and iPods, but in our hearts to make the world a better place.
Date: October 05, 2011 10:39PM
just found this image - too good not to share. don't know whom to credit.

Posted by: haikuman
Date: October 05, 2011 10:50PM
I got home from my walk/jog at 6:30am Philippine Standard Time.
I read about Steve Jobs passing here at the forum on my iMac.

I was stunned, not surprised, I felt an immediate loss and emptiness, sadness
and I synced into how grateful I am for the creations of Steve Jobs. How he
indirectly and directly changed my life. I drifted to the realization
I have lived in a special era where one visionary, innovator, icon and legend has
changed the World.

I have tried to eat with little success, I have tried to sleep with little success.
Fortunately I found some Tequila and I am getting in touch with my liver and
nothingness ...devil smiley pirate smiley

Rudie

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: October 05, 2011 10:52PM
Words and images just barely scratch the surface. But we try.
[blog.macsales.com]

Very sad day and still not fully registering. His family is in my prayers.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: davec
Date: October 05, 2011 10:56PM
He changed the lives of so many in so many ways. Steve Jobs, rest in peace.

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 05, 2011 11:04PM
In everything said about him it seems the word 'humanitarian' is not among them.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 05, 2011 11:22PM
Speedy
In everything said about him it seems the word 'humanitarian' is not among them.

Some change the world for the betterment of humanity through their generosity, others through their sacrifice, and yet others through their passion, perseverance, and vision. That only some of these are called 'humanitarians' does not in the least detract from the impact or legacy of the others.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Winston
Date: October 05, 2011 11:27PM
rjmacs
Speedy

Some change the world for the betterment of humanity through their generosity, others through their sacrifice, and yet others through their passion, perseverance, and vision. That only some of these are called 'humanitarians' does not in the least detract from the impact or legacy of the others.

Exactly. This is what I wanted to figure out how to say.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 05, 2011 11:29PM
Speedy

But he made up for it by wearing Ghandi glasses.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: October 05, 2011 11:38PM
Jobs was a private man. I bet he kept his donations and causes just a private.

And as others have noted, the ability to expand the horizons of humanity through Apple products is in of itself, a gift to humanity.

Bryan
Posted by: StingMe
Date: October 05, 2011 11:48PM
mrbigstuff
of course, I wish I had attended a keynote back in the Boston MW days of the 90s when I think Steve did one, maybe in 97 or 98...?

1997...I was one of 1500 that filled the Park Plaza Castle for Steve's first Keynote after returning to Apple - certainly a day to remember:

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: ajakeski
Date: October 05, 2011 11:59PM
Bright lights burn out fast.
Steve gave me my 15 minutes of fame back during the Switch ad campaign.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: October 06, 2011 12:03AM
My daughter texted me the news of his death from her iPhone. I avoided reading this thread all evening because I knew if would be tough to get through.

Rest in peace, Steve. You made a difference.
Posted by: Kiva
Date: October 06, 2011 12:04AM
decay
Stanford commencement speech VIDEO:

[www.ted.com]

I want to second the awesomeness of this video. A great listen / view.

RIP steve.

----------------------
Posted by: ArtP
Date: October 06, 2011 12:11AM
I spend a lot of time on a DJ forum so I don't post here much anymore but lurk. When I migrated over there I spent countless hours defending the Mac and Apple and trying to convince people that Macs were better.

After many years - it worked, Macs are recommended the tool of choice from the software developers there and a large percentage of the users.

A few Mac bashers there are having "moments" with Steve's passing.

I needed to come here for like minded individuals that can really relate to what we have lost. Reading the posts and reflections really helped.

Thanks guys...

RIP Steve
Posted by: blooz
Date: October 06, 2011 12:12AM
rjmacs
Speedy

" Inevitably, as the hagiographies and opposing debunkings come out over the next few days, you'll hear that Jobs had an illegitimate child who he refused to acknowledge for years before finally accepting her. You'll hear about his management style, which sometimes veered into terrifying territory. And these things are true, and pertinent to those involved, but they don't diminish the effect he has had on the world. Everyone has faults, and I am not excusing his by saying that. Gandhi was rumored to have strange relations (tho not necessarily sexual) with the women who visited him, Martin Luther King is said to have had extra-marital affairs, and many other famous people who have made a positive contribution to the world and human life have had incidences or proclivities which are to us regrettable, maybe even criminal.
But that's humanity. People who do good things are not always good themselves. And their contributions to humanity should not be diminished by their personal peccadilloes. Turn it around—if you knew that Heinrich Himmler rescued abandoned puppies and found homes for them, would you think he was less of a criminal?"

[thecurmudgeongrowls.blogspot.com]

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 06, 2011 01:04AM
He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone...
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 06, 2011 01:10AM
Ombligo
3d
Thank you.

I love how the menu bar reads like a list of his accomplishiments.

A cogent and poignent observation.

It is what it is.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: October 06, 2011 01:13AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Ombligo
3d
Thank you.

I love how the menu bar reads like a list of his accomplishiments.

A cogent and poignent observation.

Indeed ~!~

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: MacMission
Date: October 06, 2011 01:15AM
You changed my life. Rest in peace, Steve.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 06, 2011 01:20AM
Rain
We need another round of the mini iLeader perhaps - Sail on Steve!

Here's one that has never been seen until now. It nicely encapsulates much of Mr. Jobs' legacy:

Fare thee well, Steve, and thank you for everything.

It is what it is.
Posted by: steve...
Date: October 06, 2011 01:24AM
A very long, dark day here. It's difficult to think of anyone else who has accomplished so much.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: October 06, 2011 02:05AM
I am so grateful to Steve. The creations he engendered changed and enriched my life.

Rest in peace, Steve.
Posted by: microchip
Date: October 06, 2011 02:14AM
Thank you Steve.

I heard the news from my Dad a few minutes after leaving work earlier today.

It's funny, just yesterday I was at the AT&T Store being asked 'Who is your childhood hero' for a security question, to which I naturally answered 'Steve Jobs'. Several essays written about the man through my schooling. Multiple computer purchases. Taking off work to watch WWDC and MacWorld with my friends.

Turns out my new apartment is just a few blocks from where he lived. I just walked by. Quite a few people there. Maybe around 15-20.

Rest in Peace Steve. I don't think we (or I) can thank you enough.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020