advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Vet nearly killed our cat--what would you do?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 21, 2011 12:29PM
Folks-

Long story short, we brought our cat in to have his teeth cleaned. Without our asking for it, and without checking with us, the veterinary clinic took it on themselves to vaccinate our cat for rabies.

Problem is, the last time he was vaccinated, he nearly died--severe allergic reaction, lost nearly half his weight, sick for at least two months afterwards, etc. That's why we have a careful protocol worked out for ANY vaccinations for him.

He was kind of wobbly for a couple of days afterwards, and lost some weight, but seems to be ok--although, last time, it took a while for the symptoms to really show up.

After it happened, my wife called me in tears--we both thought we were going to lose him. And I can't imagine how I could explain it to our four year-old daughter, who _loves_ this cat.

Right now, I'm too furious to even think straight--my first response was to go smash all their windows out with a baseball bat. So, what would you do? Report them to the veterinary board? Sue them for the half day of work I lost making sure the cat would be ok, and for the emotional pain? Ask them to put into place a protocol to make sure this never happens again?

I'm not adding a poll because I want your thoughts, not just numbers.

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Vet nearly killed our cat--what would you do?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 21, 2011 12:37PM
wow! I think what I'd do is fairly illegal.
What a fsckin moron.
I'd certainly report him at the very least.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: October 21, 2011 12:39PM
They shouldn't perform any service without your written consent, at least if they expect to be paid for it. Maybe they thought they were doing you a favor? If kitty is okay, maybe they can comp you with some free stuff... food or future cleanings. I doubt that you could claim legal damages unless there are further complications that require additional medical care.

Le po├Ęte doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 21, 2011 12:42PM
Is this remotely common?

i heart my kitties, but the vet thought he was doing his best to care for your pet.

did you mention the problem when you brought your cat in?

i'm very sorry to hear this and would probably feel exactly the same way if it happened to me.

Posted by: jesse
Date: October 21, 2011 12:55PM
I think I would talk to the Vet first, if you haven't already. I think the Vets explanation and attitude would have a large influence on how I handled the situation.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: October 21, 2011 12:57PM
Some states have draconian laws regarding rabis vaccinations.
Does yours?

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 21, 2011 12:58PM
Switch vets.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 21, 2011 01:03PM
Are the shots mandatory for cats like they are for dogs here ?
We have had some incidences of rabies here, so they make sense somewhat, but if you are in area with no rabies cases and your cat is kept indoors (that's tough to prove beyond what your experience is) shots seem un-necessary.

*If you don't get the rabies shot by April 1st there's a $100.00 fine.
(every three years). If you don't pay the fine and get the shot they remove you from the voting list. Meow!

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 21, 2011 01:05PM
Was this a new/different vet that had no idea of the prior history of the cat? Or was it the same vet that delt with the alergic reaction and would have had that on file for you cat?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 21, 2011 01:06PM
billb
If you don't pay the fine and get the shot they remove you from the voting list. Meow!

What about the jury duty list?

;)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 21, 2011 01:07PM
I'm going to go with, in order, Jesse's suggestion, and then Bill in NC's suggestion.

My cat had a bad reaction to a vaccination too..
Wiped him out compeltely, to the point he couldn't get off the bed to get to the litterbox.
I fed and watered him next to his basket for two days. He didn't want to eat for a day...

Thereafter, I had the vaccinations "split"... rather than multiple's combined in one injection like usual. So he doesn't have to get more than one injection a year.

Getting the three different vaccines at once seems to have been what got to him...
Since then, he's been fine (but I still keep a close eye on his reaction after vaccinations!).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2011 01:08PM by Paul F..
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 21, 2011 01:18PM
Talk to the vet. They are only trying to help and do what they think is best for your family member (who happens to be a feline).

I've never experienced a vet that would have done anything to intentionally hurt an animal.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 21, 2011 01:21PM
We need to know whether the staff on duty that day knew about your cat's reaction to the rabies shot, whether they had checked your cat's history before proceeding to do the dental work (which they certainly should have done). Was the work done by the vet most familiar with your cat? Are there several vets at this practice? Are any of them new? What kind of terms are you on with this vet? etc.

I would be upset about this. Years ago, a kitten I was fostering had a very bad reaction to vaccination. She couldn't stand up, had a high fever, etc. It was scary as he!!.

At the very least, you need to have a conversation with the vet about this, but NOT while you are feeling extremely angry. Write down the questions you want to ask ahead of time. They may be eager to know about this screw-up and want to take steps to prevent this happening in the future. But they won't if you never have a rational conversation about it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 21, 2011 01:22PM
anonymouse1

I understand that you are upset, yet I cannopt help but notice there is a mouse in your name smiling smiley

I would be pretty pissed. Not sure how I would react. Never thought about it.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 21, 2011 01:24PM
freeradical
billb
If you don't pay the fine and get the shot they remove you from the voting list. Meow!

What about the jury duty list?

;)

I think that's the only list you get removed from automatically if you die here.
There must be no town clerk and/or a fee involved.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 21, 2011 01:31PM
My guess is that the staff looked at your cat's vaccination records and saw he was due for his rabies shot. Since he was going to have his teeth cleaned, they probably require that he be up to date on his shots. This is probably the case for any procedure. That is why I suspect that they did it. Now, where they made the mistake was in not telling you this first and asking if you wanted to proceed. They should not have done anything without checking with you first. How did they know that you hadn't had him vaccinated somewhere else?

Short answer, they screwed up and you should talk to them about it. I would listen to what they say, but I think I would most likely switch vets. I would make sure to tell any future vets about his condition and tell them to not do anything without your permission. I hope kitteh is feeling better, soon.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2011 01:32PM by rgG.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: October 21, 2011 01:54PM
rgG
My guess is that the staff looked at your cat's vaccination records and saw he was due for his rabies shot. Since he was going to have his teeth cleaned, they probably require that he be up to date on his shots. This is probably the case for any procedure. That is why I suspect that they did it. Now, where they made the mistake was in not telling you this first and asking if you wanted to proceed. They should not have done anything without checking with you first. How did they know that you hadn't had him vaccinated somewhere else?

agree smiley

My vet requires current rabies and distemper vaccinations before an animal will be admitted for procedures because it's possible that a sick animal could contaminate the other pets in the recovery cages.

But they should have asked first, or at least handed you a form to sign that explained their policies.
Posted by: Diana
Date: October 21, 2011 01:59PM
rgG

Short answer, they screwed up and you should talk to them about it. I would listen to what they say, but I think I would most likely switch vets. I would make sure to tell any future vets about his condition and tell them to not do anything without your permission. I hope kitteh is feeling better, soon.

agree smiley
Posted by: Wailer
Date: October 21, 2011 02:52PM
From a legal standpoint, it's no different than someone messing up your car since animals are considered chattel. If you want to seek legal remedy, you are entitled to actual compensatory damages if you want, ie. medical bills and medicine need to make your cat well again. Unless he was grossly negligent you won't get any punitive damages and that is near impossible to prove.

The Veterinarian board of your state may have recourse if you want to file a complaint with them. This may protect future owners from going through what you went through.

I'd try to work it out with the vet. Let him know (in writing) that you think they goofed and see how they respond. If you have a friend who is a lawyer, have him draft the letter. If they admitted they made a mistake and tried to make it up to you with by at least refunding his fees, pay for treatment and/or offering free future services (not that you'd want it), would that make you feel better?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 21, 2011 04:51PM
.....did you VET....your VET?????

.....some things need to be VETTED.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 22, 2011 05:54AM
It's not like it was a dog.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 22, 2011 08:55AM
Speedy
It's not like it was a dog.
thumbs up
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 22, 2011 04:30PM
Happened to our cat about 8 years ago. There is about a .04% bad reaction to a certain vaccine. Pixel was that .04%
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020