Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wanted iPod, got SPAM (literally)
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 30, 2005 11:43AM
[abcnews.go.com]

HAWAII, Dec. 29, 2005 — Rachel Cambra couldn't wait to see the look on her 14-year-old son's face when he opened a very special present on Christmas morning.

The Mililani, Hawaii, woman had saved up to surprise her son with what he wanted most for the holiday, a new Apple iPod with video.

Surprised he was, and so was Cambra. When her son opened the box for the high-tech toy, he discovered the iPod that should have been there wasn't. It had apparently been replaced with some kind of mystery meat.

"He went from joy, really happy joyful," she said, "then to discover this, just angry and hurt."

Cambra says the box was sealed and that it didn't appear to have been tampered with when she brought it home from the Honolulu Wal-Mart where she works.

She says she had put the iPod on layaway so that she could afford the device's hefty $300 price tag.

"I know what I went through to get this for him," said an incensed Cambra. "To open up and find this? I don't know what to say."

"This" appeared to be some kind of sealed fish or meat product, certainly not a state-of-the-art MP3 player.

Dan Fogleman, a spokesman for Wal-Mart, said it did appear that the package was sealed and has contacted Apple about the matter.

He says Cambra will be given a new iPod for her son from the very next shipment the store receives.

No one from Apple was available for comment.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wanted iPod, got SPAM (literally)
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 30, 2005 11:44AM
iPods are packaged in Asia, no? Do they have spam there?

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Anonymous User
Date: December 30, 2005 11:54AM
Sounds fishy, i mean spammy. Someone in the laway department seems to have done a switch. Trying to blame Apple. Ha ha ha.

Carm
Posted by: New.Dad
Date: December 30, 2005 12:03PM
how do we know they didn't hide the iPod and the pretend they found the fish in the box?
Posted by: Kiva
Date: December 30, 2005 01:16PM
can somebody explain layaway to me? Why would you want to do this, especially for an item like an iPod...just save the money and buy it when you can afford it..

kiva
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 30, 2005 01:46PM
Could have been worse...
There could have been a finger in the box...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: New.Dad
Date: December 30, 2005 03:34PM
Kiva Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> can somebody explain layaway to me? Why would you
> want to do this, especially for an item like an
> iPod...just save the money and buy it when you can
> afford it..
>
> kiva

can't, cause it doesn't make sense.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 30, 2005 04:11PM
When I was a kid, layaway was great. It was like having a present waiting -- my first memory of a layaway was when Kenner toys released the first TIE FIGHTER from STAR WARS; my friends mom put it in layaway for me and I had to save up allowances to get it.

Nowadays, it's not as sensible, though with an iPod, the though process (especially in a volatile market) was to actually *have* the item there. Just because she finally saved up enough didn't guarantee anyone would have it for sale at that point. Layaway guaranteed that the item was there waiting for her.

Or not, in this case. smiling smiley

Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 30, 2005 06:41PM
Kiva Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> can somebody explain layaway to me? Why would you
> want to do this, especially for an item like an
> iPod...just save the money and buy it when you can
> afford it..
>
> kiva

Layaway is a EASY WAY of saving money for some people.

Let's say you have a bad habit of spending money for something else (hey I need the iPod money to pay for this Dress that is on sale this week, and I'll replace it when I get my next check).

The next check comes and the money doesn't get replaced. With layaway and working at Walmart, she could pay $10-25 per check which is UNTOUCHABLE, GONE, SPENT, until the iPod is paid for.

The consumer wins because it is a sure way to purchase an item on time without credit and the retailer especially wins because they are using YOUR MONEY while they retain the goods.

Layaway is also like gift cards, retailers are betting that a certain percentage of consumers never pick up the item before they return it to stock for non payment of layaway terms.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: December 30, 2005 07:02PM
Back in the day, I once gave ChumpUSA $3000 +/- for a Performa 6200. Got it home and when I opened the still sealed box it was full of wood. Nice wood...but still wood. Brought it back and everybody had a chuckle. Then they gave me a new one which I opened there.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020