advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help me help my 88 year old mother
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: June 28, 2006 03:15PM
My Mom has been using an ancient imac running 9.1 and using AOL version 5, which is the latest version I believe which can run on system 9. She's been complaining to me that she can't do anything with her computer and wants to get a laptop. Oui Vey, how can I help her. She lives far from me and will need frequent help. She mentioned a friend who got a Dull Laptop for $600 or something. I won't help her with a windoze machine. What are our options? How can I set her up with perhaps a referb ibook? I'd love to get her off aol and on to the real internet. She uses email and likes to Google for her various book groups, etc. She does nothing else--not even word processing. She can't receive photos I send to her via aol. I even have trouble seeing them when I'm at her machine.

I'm very reluctant to get her something because I know I'll be trying to help her on the phone every time she discards an icon from the desktop, or some such thing. She lives not far from an Apple store in NJ and spends the winter in Florida also near an Apple store. I imagine she could schlepp in there for help.

So what do you-all think? Thanks,
Marty
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help me help my 88 year old mother
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 28, 2006 03:19PM
find her a computer literate boyfriend

Posted by: microchip13
Maybe a cheap used iBook G3 that can still run OS9, with 9.2.2. It'd still be somewhat familiar.

That's about my only suggestions.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
mattkime....lol

anyone out there???
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 28, 2006 03:21PM
Get an iBook that has Voice iChat capability---it is wonderful to be able to troubleshoot via handsfree, and rumors have whiteboard screenshots via iChat in 10.5

You could also do a simplified finder so that she can't mess it up too bad.

She can keep her AOL email address for free if you want.

Apple stores and user groups have good classes and resources.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2006 03:22PM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: freescotland
Date: June 28, 2006 03:28PM
Maybe a 466 clamshell ibook? I runs OS 9, is durable and should be fine for email, light surfing. Has a DVD player.

Has ethernet, but might have to add (expensive) original airport card.

Most of these probably need new batteries, too, so maybe a lousy suggestion.

Maybe G3 800 ibook?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2006 03:29PM by freescotland.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 28, 2006 03:46PM
If you get her a decent laptop, and IF she has broadband, you can use VNC to remotely take control of her machine to help with problems.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 28, 2006 03:48PM
i help my mother with an app called Boscos Screen share -- and it works with a peecee

i told my mom if she bought a peecee i could never help her -- so she bought an iLamp.

i have it set up where i dont need her permission to access her machine -- every once in awhile i will log on and repair permissions,

but its easy fix her email, show her how to upload photos from her new camera to iPhoto, etc etc

im in the brand new macBook camp -- $1000 and shes done for years and years and years and years -- the transition to OS X wont be that hard, cause she hardly ever in the finder
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: June 28, 2006 03:48PM
I agree on the decent laptop. Then she can even take it in to the Apple store for help.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 28, 2006 03:51PM
You're going to need to do some social research and see what kind of a friends and resource network she has. Many senior centers offer computer classes and such. Does she hang out in places with free wifi ? Does she use dialup or DSL ?

Are her friends flashing their cool laptop bling and she's feeling dissed ?

How much money do you want to spend ? How much time do you want to spend delivering, setting up, and teaching the laptop to Mom ?

My mom (70) uses her Dell desktop and AOL. At least twice a year one of her mac-using kids has to drop by the house and delouse the computer. AOL isn't to blame, it's the windoze environment, of course. She claims she's ready to switch, but I know I'll need to spend a week there to get her up and running cleanly. She does web, spreadsheet, word processing (She's a lawyer and does a lot of stock market stuff. And is darn good at it.)

I would also posit that the OSX environment will be cleaner for your Mom than the OS 9 environment, especially if she doesn't use it for anything other than AOL. AOL's OSX app seems to be a bit more stable this year, but hasn't really been upgraded in terms of functionality. But it will look and feel the way she wants it to. It DOES integrate with Safari, Mail app, etc.

After all, if she's got AOL on her desktop, you can drop an alias on her OSX desktop the same way, AND have it in the dock if she gets brave. Set her up with some form of broadband and a wireless router, and a 'book with a cam in it, and you'll be surprised how often she vchats 'just to see how things are going'.

And finally, makkt has an interesting concept, but most similar-aged boyfriends probably will be less interested in the computer than napping on the couch. She'll get more support from her female friends who are flashing their tech around.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 28, 2006 04:09PM
Another thing you can check is to see if you can find a local Mac User Group. I know the local one here does work with one senior center, and I suspect there are others that do the same thing. You might be able to hook her up with local "tech support", in both NJ and FL.

[www.apple.com]
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 28, 2006 04:10PM
I moved my now 82 year old mother-in-law to OS X from 9 about a year or so ago. I was concerned about it, but I had to do it so that her new DSL would work well. She had no trouble with it at all and she is just barely computer literate. So, if you can, go ahead and switch her over to X. I was pleasantly surprised that it went so well with my mom-in-law.

If she wants a laptop, a good used G4 would be nice, or an eMac would be good if she still wants a desktop. Some of the older eMacs, the 800mhz like my husbands, will boot into both 9 and X if you want that flexibility.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 28, 2006 04:24PM
The best way to wean off an AOL user is to get the cheapest DSL possible and use AOL's "bring your own" $10 a month service that allows them to run AOL over their DSL connection. Here in Northern California, that would be less than $30 dollars a month in total. Then hook them up with a gmail account that uses Mail. Start the switch by informing their email buddies of the gmail account. When everyone is switched (probably a year), set AOL free.
Posted by: Big Daddy Cool
Date: June 28, 2006 05:03PM
The nice part about getting her a laptop is if she has to take it in, she could actually carry it. A Mini would be nice too, but would she be able to disconnect all the cables…
Posted by: LyleH
Date: June 28, 2006 05:49PM
vision63
The best way to wean off an AOL user is to get the cheapest DSL possible and use AOL's "bring your own" $10 a month service that allows them to run AOL over their DSL connection. Here in Northern California, that would be less than $30 dollars a month in total. Then hook them up with a gmail account that uses Mail. Start the switch by informing their email buddies of the gmail account. When everyone is switched (probably a year), set AOL free.

My daughter just did the switch to Verizon DSL/AOL. Her speeds are only 765/128, but sure beats dialup. Maybe some day she, too, will ditch AOL.

LyleH
Posted by: raz
Date: June 28, 2006 09:29PM
How's her eyesight?

I decided on a mini with a 19" lcd for my 75 y.o. Mom to replace her iMac running 8.6

She's had almost no problems with the switch to X

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: June 28, 2006 09:45PM
I want to thank all of you guys for the suggestions, both tech and social. I really appreciate it. She wants a laptop so she can carry it around between Florida and NJ, not that she's going to use wi-fi at the local coffee shop. I'm thinking that a G4 (I'm gunshy on the G3 ibooks....been there, done that) and using X with the newest aol on that. I'm going to be shopping around to see what's available and then discuss it with my Mom.

Thanks again all.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 28, 2006 10:53PM
iMac G5s travel pretty well. My Dad takes his 17" to Arizona in the Winter, and the screen is very readable for older eyes.
Posted by: karsen
Date: June 29, 2006 06:50AM
You mentioned she doesn't live near by so I'd spring on the new MacBook. The built in video capabilities will be well worth the difference. You'll be able to see her more often and it's also a great tool when troubleshooting.

After she gets the computer set it up using a guest account which doesn't allow her to add or remove items from the dock.

Install VNC so you'll be able to take control over her computer from a distance. This is useful for troubleshooting all sorts of problems.
Posted by: WillyB
Date: July 01, 2006 12:12PM
VNC VNC VNC VNC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 74
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020