advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
TPMS
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 27, 2011 09:08PM
Is TPMS a scam perpetrated by the auto industry, the government, or both? What a pain in the arse. You can't even get tires mounted on wheels on any newer vehicle without having to deal with (read: pay extra for) "resetting" the TPMS. Were there that many idiots out there driving around on flat tires that the government had to step in to mandate a friggin' device that would tell you when your tires were getting low? I'm hoping my '06 lasts until I'm ready to give up driving for good.

[/rant]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TPMS
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 27, 2011 09:10PM
I have never gotten charged for that. Perhaps your tyre Shoppe hath pillaged ye royal treasurie.
Posted by: dad@home
Date: October 27, 2011 09:13PM
I have two vehicles with the sensors and swap out the summer tires for snows each fall. The dealers have never charged me to reprogram the sensors.
Perhaps you need to find a new tire shop?

dad
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: October 27, 2011 09:16PM
Look in the mirror, and to your friends, neighbors, and fellow drivers who never check their tire pressures, don't know how, or willingly ignore manufacturer recommendations (this last part even included ignorant and blantant misinformation published in a LEO magazine).

That, combined with defective tires, a tippy SUV, and poor drivers lead to the Firestone ATX fiasco.

That lead to your paid legislators not wanting to appear inert (TREAD Act), and the government mandate for TPMS systems.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: October 27, 2011 09:23PM
Not only have I never paid extra for that, but my car manual had instructions on how to set/reset the tire pressure monitor so when I was unsatisfied with the factory-setting (which let a tire get 15 ppi low before alerting me) I easily reset it to the correct pressure.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 27, 2011 09:38PM
wurm
Is TPMS a scam perpetrated by the auto industry, the government, or both?

[/rant]
Blame whomever you want, but thank Firestone and Ford (Explorer rollovers blamed on riding around on low tires)

I t does save gas in theory.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: October 27, 2011 09:46PM
Well, let's put it this way. If I bought the tires there, they probably wouldn't charge. But the recommended installers from Tire Rack, Discount Tire Direct, etc. do.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 27, 2011 09:51PM
On the cars I've had, resetting the TPMS involved nothing more than pushing a button on the dash and was clearly explained in the owner's manual. Frankly, it's a lot easier to do than doing something like checking the oil or pumping gas. If somebody is billing you for such a trivial service then you need to find a better tire place.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 09:52PM by davester.
Date: October 27, 2011 10:24PM
Date: October 27, 2011 10:59PM
No, it;s not.
The sensors in the Caravan break real easy, luckily the 2 dollar valve stem is inly 48 or 56 dollars now. :-)
Dealer didn't charge to reset, nor reprogram the system nor the sensor.
Seems like standard is anywhere from actual time $22.00 for 15 minutes or a minimum $99 fee.
the OBDII tool can be expensive apparently.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Wags
Date: October 27, 2011 11:39PM
Those sensors are completely useless. We've got them on a number of the cabs in our taxi fleet and after a few months every single one begins to malfunction - stays lit constantly, or worse, blinks. I just put an 08 Crown Vic that I got from a police auction into service and halfway through the first shift the sensor blinked on, and has stayed on ever since. We just cover up the light with electrical tape and forget about it.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 28, 2011 12:31AM
davester
On the cars I've had, resetting the TPMS involved nothing more than pushing a button on the dash and was clearly explained in the owner's manual. Frankly, it's a lot easier to do than doing something like checking the oil or pumping gas. If somebody is billing you for such a trivial service then you need to find a better tire place.
You may be confusing clearing a TPMS "low tire pressure" alert code with reprogramming the TPMS system to recognize existing tire sensors being in different locations after the installation of new tires or after a tire rotation, which on most cars are two very different operations. Reprogramming the tire locations on Toyotas and Lexus is relatively easy, doing so on Chevrolet and GMC trucks and SUVs is an infuriatingly fiddly and time-consuming task that must be completed in a very specific order within a narrow time window, lest it have to be started again from the beginning, and most other vehicles fall somewhere between those two extremes.
Posted by: Pam
Date: October 28, 2011 04:40AM
I had all of my sensors taken out and conventional stems installed. No more dealing with those leaking, easily breakable, pita things. The light on the dash can flash all it wants smiling smiley
Date: October 28, 2011 07:52AM
TPMS is a federally mandated safety system.
Thank you for your concern for me and my family's safety .
I'm sure your insurance company will love not paying out a claim due to defeat of a safety system.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Pam
Date: October 28, 2011 08:09AM
billb
TPMS is a federally mandated safety system.
Thank you for your concern for me and my family's safety .
I'm sure your insurance company will love not paying out a claim due to defeat of a safety system.

This is like asking if you have stopped beating your wife. A very manipulative way to say or ask anything. And you presume to judge me without knowing any of my vehicle upkeep procedures. For your FYI I do not need a faulty, pita, nanny device to maintain proper tire pressure. In fact, it is more dangerous to a vehicle like mine that go off road where lowering the tire pressure is a must. Damn things are too fragile and are likely to break and/or leak after refilling the tires for normal driving. Just for normal driving those things caused my tires to be at improper levels far, far more often than regular stems.

After 36 years of driving I have never had a ticket or an accident. One blow out 25 years ago. Not due to improper tire pressure either. So if you want safe company on the road, it doesn't get any better than me.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: October 28, 2011 09:30AM
Pam

After 36 years of driving I have never had a ticket or an accident. One blow out 25 years ago. Not due to improper tire pressure either. So if you want safe company on the road, it doesn't get any better than me.

That's good; got me beat. A few years back I got nailed in downtown Boston, drifting by a stop sign while looking for a parking place. A couple of motorcycle cops had staked out the intersection. While one was writing me up, I told him that this would be my first ticket since 1964 (a speed trap in Staunton, VA). He said, "You should have told me sooner. Now I have to finish this one."

Still, haven't gotten a speeding ticket since the one in '64. No accidents, either (knock wood!). Did have a right front tire on my van disintegrate on the Mass. Pike last summer, but apparently it was from tire age, not a blowout (there was still good tread left, but the tire was more than five years old).

As for TPMS, when I bought winter tires for my wife's Subaru Outback, the shop included resetting TPMS in the price (required new sensors and reprograming). Then last spring I bought new summer tires for her; the low-inflation light would start blinking slowly when the tires warmed up (!). The garage that installed them had to get a new gizmo to correctly reprogram things.

The more bells and whistles, whether for safety or not, they install in cars, the more things there are to break.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: October 28, 2011 12:15PM
You're supposed to check the pressure on your tires? I just step on the right pedal...it moves the car. The pedal on the left (horizontal) slows the car down until it stops. What's this tire pressure check thing that you are all talking about? winking smiley

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 28, 2011 03:56PM
My local tire shop was having a "TIRE BLOWOUT SALE" last summer. rolleyes smiley
I haven't been back there since.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: October 28, 2011 06:04PM
Pam
So if you want safe company on the road, it doesn't get any better than me.

What if I just want company?

devil smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 67
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020