advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
compost you fools!
Posted by: dad@home
Date: October 29, 2011 02:37PM
I have been looking for a backyard composter to help improve my lame garden soil that I could get for less than $100.

Today's woot has a "deathstar" type, 50 gallon ball composter for $80 and I almost jumped at it.

However, at my local Costco B&M they have a spinning 80 gallon unit for $50. It looks exactly like this one that is on costco.com but $130 less.

[www.costco.com]

It may be a closeout so your mileage may vary

dad
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: compost you fools!
Posted by: haikuman
Date: October 29, 2011 02:46PM
What is your location.. ? Beside organic materials heat is a main ingredient along with aeration to composting...

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 29, 2011 02:47PM
I dunno if it is better built, but the one that CostCo has is infinitely more serviceable if you do a lot of compost.
We make 15gals a week, easy.
The axial door is very useful, especially at the wheelbarrow height.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: dad@home
Date: October 29, 2011 02:53PM
I'm in Spokane.

This unit is dark green plastic and is double walled (presumably to hold in the heat). Hopefully if I get the mix of dry to wet right it should cook all winter long.
Main problem is that most of the trees around me are ponderosa pines which drop 6 inch needles and not deciduous leaf bearing trees. So I may have to steal dead leafs from neighbors lots (I know that will break their hearts).

(fingers crossed)

dad
Posted by: haikuman
Date: October 29, 2011 03:03PM
It seems like you have a handle on this and a good plan. "Be proactive, using Kitchen scraps that are typically high in nitrogen, which helps heat up the compost pile and speed up the composting process. Egg shells, coffee grounds, fruit and vegetable peels and scraps are all outstanding materials to add." Adding grass cuttings, leaves will make awesome compost. A few shovel full's of Steer Manure will add to the heat
and balance.

[compostguide.com]

[compostguide.com]

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 29, 2011 04:59PM
dad@home
I'm in Spokane.

This unit is dark green plastic and is double walled (presumably to hold in the heat). Hopefully if I get the mix of dry to wet right it should cook all winter long.
Main problem is that most of the trees around me are ponderosa pines which drop 6 inch needles and not deciduous leaf bearing trees. So I may have to steal dead leafs from neighbors lots (I know that will break their hearts).

(fingers crossed)

dad

Why steal when you can have all the leaves you can rake for free in my back yard?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: raz
Date: October 29, 2011 09:52PM
Check out your local government. Around here (city of Pittsburgh), they give out nice composters on the theory that they make it up in lower trash hauling charges.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020