advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Stolen VA laptop recovered
Posted by: steve...
Date: June 29, 2006 11:18AM
The FBI, in a statement from its Baltimore field office, said a preliminary review of the equipment by its computer forensic teams "has determined that the data base remains intact and has not been accessed since it was stolen."

[www.cnn.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Stolen VA laptop recovered
Posted by: -jeffB
Date: June 29, 2006 12:02PM
steve...
The FBI, in a statement from its Baltimore field office, said a preliminary review of the equipment by its computer forensic teams "has determined that the data base remains intact and has not been accessed since it was stolen."

[www.cnn.com]

Now, I wonder how they think they can tell that? Sure, the most likely case is that the laptop's been sitting untouched in a clueless burglar's hideout. But pulling a block copy of a drive wouldn't leave any "access record", as far as I know...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 29, 2006 12:31PM
The rest of the story is that the poor bastich who had the data has written authorization to have it, to take it home, and to use it in its unencrypted condition. They fired him, so now his lawyer is pulling out the memos from the "CYA" file that all good bureacrats keep.

Poor guy. He did what he was told, and they threw him to the wolves. AND his house got robbed.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 29, 2006 12:44PM
I still say it should be a Federal offense to take such information out of a building on a portable device. People will just have to be inconvenienced and not be able to work at home. I don't think data like that should be trucking around town on a laptop, and I'm not going to change my mind on this.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 29, 2006 03:23PM
-jeffB
steve...

[www.cnn.com]

Now, I wonder how they think they can tell that? Sure, the most likely case is that the laptop's been sitting untouched in a clueless burglar's hideout. But pulling a block copy of a drive wouldn't leave any "access record", as far as I know...

I heard about this on NPR on the way home and was wondering the same thing.
Unless a file or folder has been modified how would they know if it has been accessed?

Grateful11
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 29, 2006 03:40PM
Do we have anybody here who is a computer forensics expert? If you believe what you see on TV, there may be a way to tell what was viewed, whether or not a file was modified. (I want to do computer forensics in my next life.)

Personally, I think the poor VA guy was randomly burglarized by one or more unsophisticated kids who just grabbed the laptop because it looked like it might be a fun thing to have and possibly worth enough so they could score some drugs. Of course there's always an exception, but my guess is that whoever wound up with it didn't have a clue about the value of what might be found on the HD. As a general rule, teenaged druggies are not deep thinkers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2006 03:41PM by AlphaDog.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 29, 2006 04:11PM
I don't even think that's been done on TV, except maybe in Star Trek: TNG!

"This boot block is still eminating a residual magnetic field. Based on the field strength and rate of decay, it's been accessed twice in the last three hours, twelve minutes, and 9 seconds. Approximately."

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 29, 2006 04:21PM
I'm inclined to think the wasn't-accessed claim is BS, to give people a (false) sense of security. And maybe save the government a few dollars:

Nicholson urged veterans to keep watch over their financial records until more tests are completed in the coming days. The VA's offer of free credit monitoring for a year is still in effect until subsequent tests are completed, he said.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: June 29, 2006 04:38PM
I got a letter from the VA a few days ago warning me that my personal information may have been compromised. That was nice of 'em.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020