advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help planning DC visit
Posted by: Markiscool
Date: November 03, 2011 08:45AM
I found out that my wife has never been to Washington DC. Her health has been good over the past year or so, so I'm trying to figure out a good time to go and it not be too hot or too cold on her (both extremes irritate her lungs pretty bad).

I'm thinking mid-late April. For this time frame, what am I looking at as far as weather concerns? I know that puts us there toward the end of the Cherry Blossom Festival, so it will be a little crowded, but I'm more worried about the climate and its effect on her.

Thanks for the help in advance!

-M
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help planning DC visit
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 03, 2011 08:59AM
I've been living in DC since 1986. For my money, either you (a) put up with the crowds for Cherry Blossom, because the blossoms ARE awesome, or (b) you do some time in October, and take a little time to do Skyline Drive when the leaves are turning, and in any event it's not crowded, the weather is really nice (unless it's raining).

In the Name of G@D, do NOT come during the summer--crowded, hot, humid, miserable. Uggh! And in winter, everyone goes crazy from not knowing how to drive on snow.

I say October.

Or Cherry Blossom. That time of year, it would be very unusual to have extremes of hot or cold.
Posted by: MEG
Date: November 03, 2011 09:26AM
Early April for the cherry blossoms is nice but the weather can be hit or miss - one year you could be walking around without a jacket and the next year your wearing a hat and gloves. Late April/May is better temp wise but you run into everyone's school trip to DC. Unless we are having a crazy summer, the first half of June is usually nice.

The fall is also nice, October being the best month, late September if you don't want a jacket, early November for nice light jacket days.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: November 03, 2011 09:53AM
Mid-May. The weather's pretty unstable up until then. The Cherry blossom Festival isn't worth fussing about and the trees will still be looking pretty nice. The Duck tours will be open on the Potomac. The grass on the Mall should be there (as opposed to the mud that replaces it for much of the year).

Allergies are worst in March-April and August-September.
Posted by: Grace62
Date: November 03, 2011 12:00PM
Chakravartin
Mid-May. The weather's pretty unstable up until then. The Cherry blossom Festival isn't worth fussing about and the trees will still be looking pretty nice. The Duck tours will be open on the Potomac. The grass on the Mall should be there (as opposed to the mud that replaces it for much of the year).

Allergies are worst in March-April and August-September.

X2 on that. May is lovely, as is October. We lived in DC for ten years and one thing I don't miss is the weather.
I was last there in '09, during Cherry Blossom festival, with my son's band. It was chilly, windy and cloudy most of the time, but they got sun for the parade. It was so crowded on the mall and in the Smithsonian that it was unpleasant. I would avoid that season.
It's such a fantastic city and your wife will love it, even if you get some clouds or rain. Enjoy your trip.
Posted by: Markiscool
Date: November 03, 2011 12:11PM
Thanks gang. I was looking at April 16-20, but after your input, I might push it back to early May. I've been a few times, but it has been YEARS and I never actually planned a trip here.

-M
Posted by: Winston
Date: November 03, 2011 01:21PM
The news museum, the Newseum is fairly recent and might not be on your radar. Worth a visit.
[www.newseum.org]

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Kate
Date: November 03, 2011 01:45PM
PLEASE make plans to visit Hillwood, the estate of Marjorie Merriweather Post. Reservations are required, but it is a real "hidden gem".

Link is here
[www.hillwoodmuseum.org]

I think it is the perfect place, docents for small groups, gorgeous grounds, gardens, and an array of collections that can't be beat. If I remember correctly, she tried to give her collection to the Smithsonian, but they thought it was too large and varied for them to curate, so she bought this estate and had it made over as a home for herself which would become a museum upon her death.

Not to be missed, and so much less crowded than the other museums in DC.

Kate
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 03, 2011 03:21PM
We've done DC in June and October and June was better. Warm and not humid when we were there (don't know if that was unusual). October was chillier but still very nice and I get the impression that March is still pretty cold as well. I wanna go back!
Posted by: August West
Date: November 03, 2011 03:50PM
Beware the pollen and allergy season.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020