advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anybody remember the dbx compander gear of yesteryear?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 07, 2011 01:28AM
dbx made noise reduction gear that was supposed to expand or compress the dynamic range of audio.

I'm wondering if there is a Mac app that will compress the audio output of Mac audio.

Until I find a pair of decent wireless (not BT or IR) headphones, I'd like to compress the audio output on my mini and iMac for late night, non-musical listening.

I know there are various A/V receivers and possibly amps that have a Late NIght mode which does this, but I'm far from buying any audio gear before I get a 21st century TV.

Hear by Joe Soft was on sale recently but didn't seem to offer what I wanted.

There are equalizer apps for OS X, but I haven't seen any that offer on-the-fly compression.

Hardware might be a more elegant solution, but I'd want tiny kit rather than a box that would be more at home in a rack.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anybody remember the dbx compander gear of yesteryear?
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: November 07, 2011 04:42AM
Define:

a pair of decent wireless (not BT or IR) headphones

Most Late NIght Compression works like a anti-Loudness button, i.e. it drops the boomy bass part.

I like the reviews on these [www.amazon.com]

They are RF, not BT or IR.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Date: November 07, 2011 05:36AM
Thanks, WHiiP!

I'll check those out. The price is certainly compelling.

I am that Masked Man.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 07, 2011 06:21AM
I remember, and have, dbx components. I've got two tape decks that have dbx built in. None of the dbx gear is currently hooked up. Haven't used tapes in over a decade and I'm not sure that the other gear would add any benefit anymore.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: November 07, 2011 06:30AM
Audio Hijack Pro:
[www.rogueamoeba.com]

Read about it:
[tidbits.com]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 07, 2011 08:38AM
I'd like a iPod Dynamic Compression plugin, since I tend to drive with windows open...my old car had a the "Compression" button for the CD player, boosted the quiet parts above the road noise, or at least closer to it.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: lazydays
Date: November 07, 2011 08:43AM
I bought a dbx box for my dad as a gift one year. I was just a little kid but there was one for $99 or something similar in the old DAX magazine. Anybody remember DAX?

I did purchase a pair of bluetooth headphones for my father recently that work very well but are pricey. They were the best I could find without going crazy. He uses them every day.
[www.amazon.com]
Sennheiser MM100 Bluetooth Headset - Black/ Gray
Posted by: flareslow
Date: November 07, 2011 09:05AM
I would like something like this also. Often when viewing a DVD or mp4 file, the quiet dialog cannot be heard without having the volume at max. Then in the action scene, I get blown out of the room. The dynamic range in some movies is just a little to great. I wish the system prefs for sound had an option for compression. My 2 cents.

Mike
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: November 07, 2011 09:35AM
Rolando, maybe try using soundcheck on your ipod... not as severe as compression, but should work well.

RAMd®d, there are audio plugins included in osx, including compression and limiting. The deal would be to run audio through an app that allows plugins before output. I cannot recall a free app with that capability... but this should be free, and work with any speaker or device. audiohijackpro should work, though...
I will post back if I recall something.

• back to confinement

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 07, 2011 09:45AM
Amadeus does this. I think Audacity does, too.
Date: November 07, 2011 10:15AM
Soundcheck sort of does the opposite of what I want--It quiets the loud...and it really doesn't work very well.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 07, 2011 10:30AM
I've played around in Audacity with this function. But, it's been years.

Years ago, I remember playing with compression in a radio environment but in college radio all we wanted to do was be anti-big-station, so we only did it for fun. After hearing the same tune on commercial and non-commercial stations, one could easily tell the difference.
Posted by: August West
Date: November 07, 2011 11:11AM

Soundcheck sort of does the opposite of what I want--It quiets the loud...and it really doesn't work very well.

Compressing the dynamic range by "quieting the loud" allows you to boost the volume without overloading and distorting the signal, thus making the quieter parts of a recording seem louder,
Date: November 07, 2011 12:23PM
My wife's setup isn't Ideal. I have my iPod headphone jack going thru an RF modulator (hardwired). I cannot have the iPod output volume very loud, usually only 70-80%, or the sound will be distorted. The output isn't very loud, so even at max, it doesn't blast the way a CD does. I can't replace the stereo because my wife now cannot live without Steering Wheel controls, and Crutchfield has no compatible head units listed.

My car on the other hand, has an iPod dock adapter, direct sound and charging.

Date: November 07, 2011 04:50PM
Thanks for all the info, guys.

And yes, I do remember the DAX catalogs. Very thin paper, lots of "stuff", mostly discontinued.

I got a Macrovision Remover from them for $20 that used to sell for $100.

While I like the convenience of BT headphones, I want wireless because of the greater audio bandwidth, and because they are usually easier to connect to non-computer sources.

I've used Audio Hijack Pro in the past for recording, and it always sounds like the hi-freqs have been rolled off.

I'll give Audacity a look.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: m.paris
Date: November 07, 2011 06:42PM
I think it was "DAK", the initials of Drew A. Kaplan, if I recall correctly.
Date: November 07, 2011 06:53PM
You are correct!

DAK it was.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: November 07, 2011 09:30PM
DAK has been reborn.
[www.dak.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020