advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
El Gato TV
Posted by: iaJim
Date: November 10, 2011 03:15PM
I saw the thread a few below this, but didn't want to hijack it, so I've started another El Gato thread.

I've gone to the site to buy these many times and get confused and just don't do anything. Could you tell me how you use yours? I want to ditch my pay per month dvr from Mediacom. I just want to record programs that are on cable. I suppose you can't record HBO etc, but mostly, I like to record network programs. Is this how it works? Which unit is the one to buy? I'd be recording on my Mini, but I have a first gen Apple TV and would like to watch the recordings on that if it's possible. If not, it's not a deal breaker.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: El Gato TV
Posted by: Z
Date: November 10, 2011 03:21PM
I've got an EyeTV Hybrid from 2010(?) and we use it as our primary television on a 24" iMac. The DVR function works well - and though they occasionally try to get some money out of you for the tv guide service, there is usually an option out there to keep the program schedule supplied.

I would think that with the cable plugged into the unit, once it autotuned, you'd have all the channels and schedules set up for you to select - not sure if it would block HBO etc, unless there is a specific activation card or box that the signal has to go through - and if so, put that upstream of the EyeTV box and you should be good to go.

Bonus(?) - we also have our Wii connected through the hybrid and play games on there occasionally.
Posted by: timg
Date: November 10, 2011 04:01PM
It really depends on your cable system.

In some areas, some of the channels are broadcast is "clear" QAM, which cane be recorded, while other channels are encrypted QAM. Also, so cable companies broadcast in analog for the "basic" channels, but this is SD, not HD.

Some of the boxes can do analog, some can do digital, some can do both, some can only do over the air broadcasts ... are you confused yet? Non of the boxes can accept a "cable card", which would get you almost everything the cable DVR could give you (but not video on demand stuff).

The safest bet would be the eyetv hd, which uses your (non-dvr) cable box to tune the channels.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: November 10, 2011 05:51PM
I have an EyeTV HD and use it with DirecTV to record anything that I have subscribed to. It comes with a one year subscription to TV Guide, which is downloaded periodically. When you do your setup, you tell TV Guide what your source is and it provides you a list of all the available channels. You check the ones you want to see in your TV Guide listing. Then you can scroll through the TV guide and check the programs you want to record. It warns you if there is an overlap and lets you select which schedule you want to keep. After a program is recorded you can then trim off the leading and trailing stuff and cut out ads. You then tell it to save it either for AppleTV or iPhone/iPod. After that I use an app called Subler to add the artwork, cast, director, description, and the other stuff that tells you about the movie or TV program.
Date: November 10, 2011 10:01PM
Can you record two programs in the same time slot on different channels?

Thanks for the great information.
Posted by: Black
Date: November 11, 2011 12:11AM
iaJim

I don't think so, sorry.

I'd try to answer some of your other questions but I have no idea about the AppleTV.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 11, 2011 01:04AM
iaJim

Yes, you can record two programs at once if you either have a dual tuner unit or attach two tuners. There are some limitations. The one Elgato unit with dual tuners only has a single cable input, so if it needs a cable or satellite box ahead of it to access encrypted channels you can only get one at a time. timg covered some of that in his post. For other units, the EyeTV software supports use of multiple tuners, but will mostly select one at random. This can be an issue if they don't have the same channels available.

The EyeTV software also supports use of IR blasters to handle changing channels on an attached cable box, but only the EyeTV HD includes one. IR blasters and software from only two sources are supported to use with EyeTV for other tuners.

One last thing, the EyeTV software also supports a number of tuners from other sources. A few do include cable card slots, but none are available directly from Elgato.
Date: November 11, 2011 07:00AM
I continue to be amazed by the level of knowledge of the members of this forum. It's one of the most valuable spots on the web for me.

Thanks so much!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020