advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
WD MyBook Essential 3 TB drive $110 at Costco
Posted by: Winston
Date: November 10, 2011 04:01PM
Our local Costco has a stack of Western Digital 3 TB MyBook Essential USB 2/USB 3 drives for $129.99 with a $20 instant rebate, limit two per customer, for a net of $109.99. Sales tax is charged on the pre-rebate price. Office Depot was willing to price match at the 109.99 price, which saved me a couple of dollars of sales tax.

This isn't quite as good a deal as the 3 TB Hitachis at Office Max mentioned recently ($94.99, although advertised at $119.99), but those may all be gone.
[forums.macresource.com]

OWC Larry warned on that thread that hard drive prices are likely to triple shortly, so jump now if you need a larger drive.

Lots of negative reviews on Costcos's site, mostly related to the USB 3.0 interface.
[www.costco.com]

The one professional review I found was reasonably positive, given that these contain a relatively slow "sub 6000 rpm" Green drive.
[www.anandtech.com]

Does anyone have experience with this drive, particularly on getting it to work as a Time Machine drive connected to an AirPort Extreme? I'd primarily use the drives for backup, so probably don't need great speed.

Thanks.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2011 04:10PM by Winston.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: WD MyBook Essential 3 TB drive $110 at Costco
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: November 10, 2011 04:06PM
If nothing else - pull the drive and drop into one of our enclosures. There are drives out there that were out at sea, in route to the various retailers before the flooding even began to affect production and before any understanding of the scope was even imagined. These are bargains IMHO - lower than the bare drives cost us as an integrator/solution builder before the tide rose.

I doubt will see prices anywhere near this in a few weeks... and further - may not even be able to get a lot of the different drives at all - lower cap 1TB and under hit hardest of all I believe.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Date: November 10, 2011 04:13PM
OWC Larry
If nothing else - pull the drive and drop into one of our enclosures.

That's a great idea.

Larry - does OWC have any guidance on using an external drive with an AirPort Extreme for Time Machine backups? From what I can find online it's hit or miss. Does OWC have enclosures that are likely (or certain) to work?

Thanks.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: November 10, 2011 04:19PM
That's a good question.... and something we ought have. I also think capacity might be a factor.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: November 10, 2011 04:25PM
They do not work reliably - it may work at first but they are NOT RECOMMENDED. I tried doing it at home on my wife's machine and had to cease. Worked fine for a month or more and then stopped working - would always fail backing up after that.

I put the same drive on my Mac mini entertainment center, set it as her backup volume, and it's been rock solid since.

Apple originally supported it but stopped when lots of problems were reported.

[support.apple.com]
[discussions.apple.com]

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Date: November 10, 2011 04:46PM
I really don't want to have to buy another computer just to handle backup, but maybe that's what I need.

Would an old G4 Cube work if running 10.5? Awk, no - it only has 10/100 base-T ethernet. This site said Gigabit ethernet was a BTO option, but I bet few got that.
[apple-history.com]

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 10, 2011 04:54PM
One big problem for Windows users is that only computers with motherboards made in about the last year will boot from a 3 TB hard drive.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 10, 2011 05:06PM
I tell you, a mini is SOOOOO versatile smiling smiley

Apple made the Time Capsule for a reason - I really wish somebody would hack the Airport Extreme firmware to do more.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 10, 2011 06:43PM
OWC Jamie
They do not work reliably - it may work at first but they are NOT RECOMMENDED. I tried doing it at home on my wife's machine and had to cease. Worked fine for a month or more and then stopped working - would always fail backing up after that.

I put the same drive on my Mac mini entertainment center, set it as her backup volume, and it's been rock solid since.

Apple originally supported it but stopped when lots of problems were reported.

[support.apple.com]
[discussions.apple.com]

interesting, I have been using one (Airport Extreme + USB WD hard drive) for about a year to back up with Time Machine a Powerbook G4 and yes, there is an occasional glitch here and there but it always was able to back up on the next try, and I have tested to recover some files I deleted on purpose and it worked fine for me. Slow, but it worked.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 10, 2011 06:47PM
"lower cap 1TB and under hit hardest of all I believe."

Larry, could that mean smaller drives will be harder to get, and these big ones will stay steadier?

Winston: Jamie is generally correct about TM reliability via AirPort Extreme. However, depending on your level of tolerance it might be acceptable. I would NOT characterize it as a deal breaker for a geek, so long as you know what to expect.

Here's the deal:
The typical error eventually seen is something about the Tm drive "already in use" by something else.

1) Go into AirPort Utility and "disconnect all users" from the disk.
2) Unplug the USB drive from the AE's USB bus.
3) Plug the USB drive back in.

I've had to do this once in the last few months and I do it at my parents's house about once a month. I don't mind the hassle vs. paying for a Time Capsule, which WILL die an unnatural death and cause a longer, more expensive outage, even the new ones.

Bonus points are awarded if you set up the TM as a sparsedisk so that you can easily backup your TM volume + move it to another hard disk without having to start over.
Posted by: volcs0
Date: November 10, 2011 07:23PM
Cheapest 2TB $200 at Newegg right now. Incredible. And just as I was building a RAID, of course.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: November 10, 2011 07:52PM
It's $130 at [www.costco.com] plus $10 shipping, for those w/o a nearby Costco B&M.
Date: November 10, 2011 08:14PM
Winston: Jamie is generally correct about TM reliability via AirPort Extreme. However, depending on your level of tolerance it might be acceptable. I would NOT characterize it as a deal breaker for a geek, so long as you know what to expect.

Here's the deal:
The typical error eventually seen is something about the Tm drive "already in use" by something else.

1) Go into AirPort Utility and "disconnect all users" from the disk.
2) Unplug the USB drive from the AE's USB bus.
3) Plug the USB drive back in.

I've had to do this once in the last few months and I do it at my parents's house about once a month. I don't mind the hassle vs. paying for a Time Capsule, which WILL die an unnatural death and cause a longer, more expensive outage, even the new ones.

Bonus points are awarded if you set up the TM as a sparsedisk so that you can easily backup your TM volume + move it to another hard disk without having to start over.[/quote]

Not the error I was having. It'd just stop backing up, and if you reformatted the drive, started fresh, it'd get about 1/3rd of the way complete and error out, no amount of plugging, disconnecting, etc., would get it working again.

Hooked to the mini, zero problems since.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Date: November 10, 2011 11:09PM
Filliam H. Muffman
One big problem for Windows users is that only computers with motherboards made in about the last year will boot from a 3 TB hard drive.

Is that a problem for Macs? Not how I plan to use the drive, but you never know what circumstances might arise.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: November 10, 2011 11:11PM
olnacl
It's $130 at [www.costco.com] plus $10 shipping, for those w/o a nearby Costco B&M.

That's the price at our local Costco before the "instant rebate". If I read it correctly, it said "manufacturer's instant rebate". If that's the case, I don't know why it's not available online or at other stores.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: November 10, 2011 11:13PM
Anyone know if using a USB 3.0 interface with USB 2.0 is likely to be a problem? Supposed to be backward compatible. I haven't yet opened the boxes, but my understanding from what I read is that you use a portion of the USB 3.0 jack for a micro USB USB 2.0 plug. But I could be all confused about that.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: stephen
Date: November 10, 2011 11:30PM
I went for it. I don't know that I need it but decided I could always resell if I don't.
Date: November 10, 2011 11:35PM
stephen
I went for it. I don't know that I need it but decided I could always resell if I don't.

I'm kind of thinking the same thing.

Good luck.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 11, 2011 12:37AM
It should work fine on USB 2. The problem on Windows computers is that Win7 needs a motherboard with at least some minimal EFI compatibility to select a drive with a 3 TB partition. I think any Mac that is Core 2 will work, not sure about earlier ones.

Pretty sad situation given how many problems there were with getting past 137 GB/LBA not so long ago.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 11, 2011 09:32PM
I snagged two at the local Costco. Not sure what I'll use them for - maybe as Larry suggests, stick them in a dual enclosure of theirs to back up my 6TB RAID 5
Date: November 12, 2011 07:39AM
Winston - I also meant to say Thanks for the heads-up. Unboxed one this morning and formatted it for Mac - Nuttin' on it yet. Still trying to decide whether to format them as a 6TB disk and use for a backup, thus freeing up my second 6TB RAID for other uses.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 140
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020