advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
One Day In NYC. What To Do?
Posted by: chopper
Date: June 30, 2006 10:12AM
Looks like I'm going to have a full and open day in NYC this weekend. Never been there before. Hotel room in Manhattan and lots of empty time. I'd like to fit in 2-3 things that take a few hours. Travel by cab.

Ideas?

Thanks

Chopper
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: One Day In NYC. What To Do?
Posted by: Big Daddy Cool
Date: June 30, 2006 10:16AM
interested in food choices? budget?
Posted by: davester
Date: June 30, 2006 10:22AM
You really have to ask?...

Hookers and Booze!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 30, 2006 10:28AM

WORSHIP

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2006 10:34AM by mattkime.
Posted by: stephen
Date: June 30, 2006 10:58AM
I always have lunch at Union Square Cafe. Not so pricey at midday.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 30, 2006 11:18AM
One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
You'll find a god in every golden cloister
And if you're lucky then the god's a she
I can feel an angel sliding up to me
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 30, 2006 11:19AM
Go down Broadway to below houston Street, spend money. Gap, Banana Republic, Yellow Rat Bastard, Pearl River etcetery, etcetery. Apple Store on prince Street.head east down houston, Russ and Daughters and katzs deli close by. Go up Avenue A, lots of eating places.

If you really want to spend a couple hours in one place go to the Metropolitan Museum up on fifth, around 84th or so. You should be able to find something there to keep you occupied for a while.

Also check out Museum of nat. History, don't know the address.

in the eve take a cab to E. 11th between Ave A and B, visit the Orchid lounge.
(Full disclosure: my daughter is part owner, tho it will be sold soon).

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: d0e
Date: June 30, 2006 12:30PM
a walk in cetral park?
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: June 30, 2006 12:37PM
Otto of course

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: robfilms
Date: June 30, 2006 12:44PM
if your hotel is in midtown, i wouldn't even bother with cabs. nyc is a very walkable event and half the fun is getting to places.

midtown: catch a broadway show. it will be crowded but tix are available. at broadway & west47th street is the discounted tix booth. many wonderful shows are listed. check out the list when u get to town and see if anything is interesting then make plans accordingly. by the way, even if u just walk around times square on a saturday nite, the energy, the lites, the people are all the show u might need.

midtown also has the museum of modern art at west 53rd between 5th ave and 6th ave. absolutely stunning, the art, the space, and even the very good cafe.

midtown also has the 5th ave apple store at 5th between 59th and 58th.

midtown has st. patrick's cathedral.

to the east of midtown you also have a very nice tour of the united nations. security is tight but the building is wonderful.

north of midtown on the upper westside is the museum of natural history at 79th street and central park west. filled with displays of the physical world, animals, sea life, very informative. and then next door is the rose/hadyn planetrium, one of the best star shows in the world.

north of midtown on the upper eastside is the metropolitian museum of art. 5th ave and 81st. treasures from the egyptian, greek and roman ages. wonderfully interesting and stuff you will never see anywhere else.

obviously on the upper westside and eastside there is a slew of places to eat and even more places to shop.

if you want to head downtown, just stroll down 5th ave and you will bump into the main library at 42st street, to the east is the chrysler building with all that 30s deco chrome-looks great in early and late sunlite.

keep heading down 5th ave and you will be at the empire state building 103 stories with a view like none else. well worth a stop on the observation deck to get a true sense of what nyc looks like.

keep going down 5th and you will be at the flatiron building at 23rd street. this stretch is also filled with quality shops. keep on 5th below 14th street and you enter thru the arch into greenwich village. hang in the village or wander eastward to the east village with all the various hipsters and their drinking spots. (this is where u would find the katz's deli referenced above-very good sandwichs. tip the guys $2 BEFORE they make your sandwich and its size will double!)

go five blocks further south below houston and u are in soho with all of the art galleries, fab spots to eat and plenty of models to gaze at. there is a wonderful apple store in soho on price street. another five blocks south and u are in chinatown filled with places to shop for knock-off fashion, bags and just stuff along with very good eats.

by the way, the yankees are playing at the stadium this weekend and it is only a subway ride away. even bleacher tix are a great way to watch the game. if u are seated out in the right field corner trying not to root against the yanks. those fans are not interested in non-yankee opinions!

below soho is the wall street area (trinity church and its graveyard, new york stock exchange, woolworth building, j and r electronic store) which is quiet on the weekend but if u head west from there u see where the world trade center stood, and u could then head for a boat ride out to the statue of liberty.

when u cross the westside highway there is a great walking stretch along the hudson river that runs along the river all the way back to midtown. (just before 14th street along the river u can see the iron strructure that says "cunard line" and that ship berth is where the titanic was headed) by the way, at the hudson river and west 42st street is the intrepid aircraft carrier museum and even more interesting is a boatride around the island of manhattan called the circle line. best time to do that is either very early or after 6pm when the city turns its lights on and looks magical from the water.

(by the way, at west 34st and 9th avenue is b and h photo which to my mind is the best camera store in the city. as a video cameraperson, i can spend hours looking and playing with the newest cameras, lites, mics, computers, etc. if u are into the electronic/camera/video stuff, then b and h should be a stop. they are closed on saturdays but open at 9am on sundays)

well, there u have plenty of thoughts and i've left out all exercusions to the other boros (great ethnic food in brooklyn and queens, coney island is a hoot. walking across the brooklyn bridge is wonderful) and nothing above 96street (harlem, spanish harlem, columbia university, washington heights, riverdale in the bronx)

what i have listed is nothing more than a 50+ block walk either south or north of your hotel. u wil need comfortable walking shoes and plenty of water!

and, of course, u could choose to do nothing but wander during the day in central park, run the trails, take a horse drawn carriage ride, rent a bike, row on the lake, visit strawberry fields, or simply read a book on the sheep meadow and watch the folks stroll by.

so there u have one new yorker's quick thoughts. if i see u walking around, i'll be happy to stop and say hi to a fellow macresource-er. tell us how it all works out. by the way, welcome to new york city.

be well

rob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020