advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I'm assuming that everyone knows what the icon for a Volume, as opposed to a folder, looks like…
Posted by: GeneL
Date: November 16, 2011 07:51PM
I just turned on my monitor after leaving it off since last night (computer was left on). When I last looked at the screen, there were only a few folders and files showing, plus the Entourage inbox window was pretty much obscuring the desktop.

I had started reading several emails, when I realized that something was wrong. In the small area f the background, I could see a portion of my desktop and it was covered with the icons of all kinds of volumes, many of which I don't even recognize.

This is what I saw:

Besides the volumes that were showing, I had not opened the Tech Tool windows.

I had earlier, posted about opening an email from a company in Hong Kong, but rjmacs explained that it shouldn't have caused the similar problem to this one and which caused me to post "This was really weird…"

Can anyone explain what's going on and how to fix it? PLEASE!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I'm assuming that everyone knows what the icon for a Volume, as opposed to a folder, looks like…
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 16, 2011 07:59PM
I still don't think this indicates website-induced malware (especially if you didn't install any software as a result). Have you checked the drive using Disk Utility? Do you have DiskWarrior? Something really wacky is going on with your drive/directory...

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Re: I'm assuming that everyone knows what the icon for a Volume, as opposed to a folder, looks like…
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 16, 2011 08:04PM
looks like all .dmg files on your drive were mounted for some reason
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: November 16, 2011 08:23PM
Have you checked System Preferences > Accounts > YourAccount > Login Items for any new entries??

You could try Safe Boot: Press Shift during startup
[support.apple.com]

Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: November 16, 2011 08:26PM
space-time

Yeah. All the .dmg files on your drive or all the .dmg files in your downloads folder.

'Any chance that you typed Command+A and then Command+O while poking through your downloads folder?

Or maybe Command+A followed by a double-click?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 16, 2011 08:38PM
GeneL

I think so, but you're gonna have to replace the washer on that spigot first!
Date: November 16, 2011 08:42PM
rjmacs
I still don't think this indicates website-induced malware (especially if you didn't install any software as a result). Have you checked the drive using Disk Utility? Do you have DiskWarrior? Something really wacky is going on with your drive/directory...

Yes, wacky!

I already ran DU for both permissions and to verify my disk. No problems were found.

I do have DW, but I don't have a clue what to do with it for this situation. I've had DW version going back to pre-OS9, but I haven't used it since... I don't remember?

Unless there's a reason not to, I plan to select all the volume icons and unmount them, so I can have my clear desktop.

This is crazy! I'd really appreciate having someone explain what's happening and how to prevent a recurrence. banghead smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: hal
Date: November 16, 2011 08:44PM
Perhaps a scrip is running - it's being told to launch everything within such and such folder.

To me the problem is obvious - you've got a zillion little icons in your menubar indicating that you've got all kinds of stuff running all the time.

Thin it out... simplify...

"I had not opened the Tech Tool windows..."

So SOMETHING did open the TTP windows...
tell us more about the Tech Tool disc - is that a disc or a dmg?

have you installed the behind the scenes stuff from TTP? Have you kept it up to date/uninstalled?

For a guy that is always having problems with his system, I'm a little surprised that you'd run such a 'busy' computer...
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: November 16, 2011 09:26PM
If you restart the computer, do they all launch and open like in your screenshot?

Jeff
Date: November 16, 2011 10:03PM
mikebw
GeneL

I think so, but you're gonna have to replace the washer on that spigot first!

It's not broken! It's left slightly open to provide water for the birds. It does a great job bringing birds into camera range.

Chakravartin
space-time

Yeah. All the .dmg files on your drive or all the .dmg files in your downloads folder.

'Any chance that you typed Command+A and then Command+O while poking through your downloads folder?

Or maybe Command+A followed by a double-click?

I hadn't typed any kind of keyboard command, but your thought did connect for me as you'll see further down.

Panopticon
Have you checked System Preferences > Accounts > YourAccount > Login Items for any new entries??

Nothing was changed here,

hal
Perhaps a scrip is running - it's being told to launch everything within such and such folder.

To me the problem is obvious - you've got a zillion little icons in your menubar indicating that you've got all kinds of stuff running all the time.

Thin it out... simplify...

"I had not opened the Tech Tool windows..."

So SOMETHING did open the TTP windows...
tell us more about the Tech Tool disc - is that a disc or a dmg?

have you installed the behind the scenes stuff from TTP? Have you kept it up to date/uninstalled?

For a guy that is always having problems with his system, I'm a little surprised that you'd run such a 'busy' computer...

I think you pointed me in the right direction!

I reopened Disk Utility and then made a connection.

Do you see TTP601_dvd.dmg?

I had just run Disk Utility, doing everything that I could think of as a precaution, after opening the Chinese email.

Do you think that somehow the two .dmg files triggered the expansion on my desktop? Again, I have to say that I never opened these files, so I don't get what happened here.

I did remove them from the Disk Utility window. Should that prevent a reoccurrence?

kj4btkljv
If you restart the computer, do they all launch and open like in your screenshot?

Jeff

Thankfully, no!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: November 16, 2011 10:06PM
> Do you think that somehow the two .dmg files
> triggered the expansion on my desktop?

No. Disk image files that have been recently opened often appear in the DU window. It's otherwise meaningless.

I think Jeff's suggestion was good.

If they don't all mount again, I'd write it off as a fluke.

...And try to clean up the menubar a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 10:07PM by Chakravartin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 56
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020