advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
$350 for 3 year old Apple Cinema Display 24 inch?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: November 26, 2011 09:02AM
It's out of warranty, but in excellent condition, no dead pixels, etc.

Comes with box and all accessories.

Just wondering if this is a good option for my 2011 mini.

Only downside is that it's glossy, but I can deal with that if the quality and price are right.

Thanks.

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: $350 for 3 year old Apple Cinema Display 24 inch?
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: November 26, 2011 09:57AM
If it was my dollars, I would go to the Dell Outlet store and spend $319 plust tax on a refurb Dell Ultrasharp U2412M monitor.

IPS technology. Beautiful picture. You can't go wrong with it.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: zachdog
Date: November 26, 2011 09:57AM
Deal! These still sell as refurbs from Apple for $599 plus tax. I have one on my desk at work and I love it.
Date: November 26, 2011 10:21AM
zachdog
Deal! These still sell as refurbs from Apple for $599 plus tax. I have one on my desk at work and I love it.

Even out of warranty? Did these ever have any issues that Apple had to address or anything like that?

How old is the one you have at work?
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: November 26, 2011 10:25AM
Brand new u2412 for $339 weekend special.

Dell 24" Monitor

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Date: November 26, 2011 10:27AM
MacArtist
Brand new u2412 for $339 weekend special.

Dell 24" Monitor

Decisions, decisions.
Posted by: Black
Date: November 26, 2011 11:26AM
If it's in perfect shape there's going to be no real difference in picture quality vis-a-vis the Dells referenced above-- except the Dells have warranties.
Date: November 26, 2011 11:28AM
Black
If it's in perfect shape there's going to be no real difference in picture quality vis-a-vis the Dells referenced above-- except the Dells have warranties.

I'm also still struggling with the glossy vs matte issue. So that would be another thing for me to consider.

But, I like that it has integrated webcam, microphone, speakers, 3 USB ports and will "just work" with the mini.
Date: November 26, 2011 11:40AM
Well, I can certainly see what would be cool about the Apple display.
How do the mic/webcam interface with the mini?
Date: November 26, 2011 12:36PM
I think as soon as you connect the USB cable from the display to the mini, it activates the camera and microphone.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 26, 2011 04:38PM
Pinkoos,

Don't buy it. At that price, you'd definitely be better off purchasing the display MacArtist recommended or a different Dell 24" display. I have a Dell 24" display #2408WFP. i didn't even bother looking at new or used Apple displays. I've had Dell displays in the past and they've been fantastic. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat and again would unlikely to even consider one from Apple. Dells offer great bang for the buck and high overall quality, too. Apple's are way overpriced in comparison, even if they have Thunderbolt these days.

In this particular situation, I'd pass on the Apple display and go for a Dell.. The one MacArtist recommended is definitely a better choice:

A: Less $$$

B. It'll have a warranty.

C.It has an IPS panel

D. It's matte. (based on the photo)

E. It hasn't been used for 3 years

F. If you want a webcam you can always buy one to use with it. I use a Logitech webcam with my Dell 24" display. Works great for iChat and FaceTime

G. The Dell has more interface options.

H. The Dell has the sound bar option. I use a Dell soundbar with mine. the sound quality isn't perfect by any stretch but it's nice to have it attached to the display and not taking up space on my desk.

Likely, you can find a different model from Dell with similar features. Definitely do a little homework before making your final purchase.

Robert
Date: November 26, 2011 05:29PM
I wonder if Costco sells any of the recommended monitors either on it's website or within the brick and mortar stores?

Here's the online selection:

[www.costco.com]|84|1680&lang=en-US&whse=BC&topnav=

It would just be easier to buy from them in terms of returns, etc.

I walked into the local Costco a few days before Thanksgiving and saw that they mainly were carrying some Samsung monitors in store. The Samsungs looked nice, but I forget the model numbers. I'm sure they're probably LED but not IPS panels. Also, I noticed that they may not be VESA mountable b/c the back didn't have the holes to screw the back plate of a mount onto.
Date: November 26, 2011 05:40PM
Pinkoos,

Are you going to or are you planning to VESA mount the display? If yes, then make sure the display is VESA mountable. Otherwise, it's a non-issue to the point that I wouldn't even think about it. Personally, I've had and used various flat panel displays since about 2002 or so. I've never used their VESA mount features. Ever. That's just me. For what it's worth, though, every LCD display I've owned or used is VESA mountable. Pretty common feature on the better Dell displays. smiling smiley

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2011 05:41PM by Robert M.
Date: November 26, 2011 05:53PM
I was thinking about possibly doing it, so kind of what the option in case I do.
Date: November 26, 2011 06:33PM
Robert M
Pinkoos,

Don't buy it. At that price, you'd definitely be better off purchasing the display MacArtist recommended or a different Dell 24" display. I have a Dell 24" display #2408WFP. i didn't even bother looking at new or used Apple displays.
===> I like my Dell display too, but others here have had them fail, so they're not perfect.

I've had Dell displays in the past and they've been fantastic. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat and again would unlikely to even consider one from Apple. Dells offer great bang for the buck and high overall quality, too. Apple's are way overpriced in comparison, even if they have Thunderbolt these days.

In this particular situation, I'd pass on the Apple display and go for a Dell.. The one MacArtist recommended is definitely a better choice:

A: Less $$$

==> Maybe, but add in the stress of shipping, and the possibility that it could arrive damaged

B. It'll have a warranty.

C.It has an IPS panel
===> Apple monitors don't have IPS panels?

D. It's matte. (based on the photo)

E. It hasn't been used for 3 years

F. If you want a webcam you can always buy one to use with it. I use a Logitech webcam with my Dell 24" display. Works great for iChat and FaceTime

===> There goes your "cheaper" argument.

G. The Dell has more interface options.

===> Does the dell have a mini-displayport?

H. The Dell has the sound bar option. I use a Dell soundbar with mine. the sound quality isn't perfect by any stretch but it's nice to have it attached to the display and not taking up space on my desk.

Likely, you can find a different model from Dell with similar features. Definitely do a little homework before making your final purchase.

Robert
Date: November 26, 2011 07:07PM
Black,

Nothing you've said really makes much of a difference. Apple displays fail and this one is already three years old. If anything, it's more likely to fail sooner than a brand-new display. If he buys a Dell and it's damaged in shipping, then Dell replaces it. Not an issue. Webcams are cheap, so the cost is a non-issue. That's if he buys one. The Dell has DVI and Display port. An appropriate cable, if necessary, is cheap. Whether the Apple display is or isn't an IPS display doesn't really matter. If it does and I'm assuming it is, then they're both IPS displays. It doesn't change anything.

Robert
Posted by: gabester
Date: November 26, 2011 09:54PM
I'd go with the Dell too... for the reasons outlined above, but mostly that it can be rotated and the interfaces.
g=
Date: November 26, 2011 09:58PM
Robert M
Black,

Nothing you've said really makes much of a difference. Apple displays fail and this one is already three years old. If anything, it's more likely to fail sooner than a brand-new display. If he buys a Dell and it's damaged in shipping, then Dell replaces it. Not an issue. Webcams are cheap, so the cost is a non-issue. That's if he buys one. The Dell has DVI and Display port. An appropriate cable, if necessary, is cheap. Whether the Apple display is or isn't an IPS display doesn't really matter. If it does and I'm assuming it is, then they're both IPS displays. It doesn't change anything.

Robert

Robert,
Do you think he should buy the Apple or get a new Dell?
Date: November 27, 2011 08:52AM
Black,

I was pretty clear in my initial post. Definitely go for a new display be it the Dell suggested by MacArtist (or a different model) rather than buy the used Apple model in question.

Robert
I'd consider the Apple display.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 27, 2011 01:34PM
At least to a lot of Googling about any Dell you might consider using with your mini.

There is a problem with the u2711 and Mac minis and it's not clear that it's been resolved. I don't know if there are other Dells in the same boat.

Yeah, you can return the Dell if it's not compatible, but it is a bit of a drag.

Just do some homework first. If I had, I'd have passed on the 2711 and got the Apple 27, which I'm going to get.

In addition, I prefer the Apple glossy screens to matte, and the 2711's matte is a little too much, in my opinion.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 27, 2011 08:31PM
I decided to roll the dice on this one guys and went for the Apple Cinema Display. Picked it up this morning and just set it up right now. $350 with all accessories, box, manual and original receipt.

It actually has AppleCare which expires tomorrow!

Anyway, so far this thing is awesome. I really like the integration with the Mac mini and the way the single USB connection to the mini activates the iSight, microphone, speakers and 3 additional USB ports. And, if I ever decide to go back to an Air, it's got the magsafe connector too.

The glare issue will reveal itself the first time I try to use this during the day, so I'll see what kind of adjustments I'll have to do to compensate for that (maybe even considering wall mounting it).

Anyway, I hope this thing doesn't die tomorrow. I really appreciate all the help and advice. I hope I made the right decision. So far, I'm happy.

Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020