advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
movies on TV
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 27, 2011 06:18PM
The Man with the Golden Gun is on TV right now. I've seen it a dozen times but am sitting on the couch watching it yet again. What movies will make you stop whatever you are doing to watch?

Most Bond movies with Sean Connery and pre-Moonraker Roger Moore have this effect on me. The Hunt for Red October is another.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: movies on TV
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 27, 2011 06:37PM
At the base of that wall, you'll find a rock that has no earthly business in a Maine hayfield
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 27, 2011 06:40PM
Watched most of 'You only Live Twice' earlier today. I have seen it many times.

'Raiders of the Lost Ark' usually sucks me in, too.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 27, 2011 06:42PM
No Country for Old Men was also on this afternoon. I only caught the second half, but I've seen it a half-dozen times. It's one of my favorites.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 27, 2011 06:47PM
"The Dirty Dozen" always draws me.

Just a great adventure film with great dry humor. Arguably the best 60's style war movie made (Patton was 1970 and Dr. Strangelove really wasn't a "war" movie)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 27, 2011 06:51PM
The Fifth Element usually stops me.

Grateful11
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 27, 2011 06:58PM
Forrest.

Love when my kids see someone running and they yell "run forrest, run"

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 27, 2011 07:25PM
The original "A Raisin in the Sun" is my number one day stopper.
Posted by: Kate
Date: November 27, 2011 07:34PM
Yankee Doodle Dandy, I love to watch Jimmy Cagney dance.

Kate
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 27, 2011 07:50PM
I've been watching the "extended" versions of the Lord of the Rings movies all day. ALL DAY... started at 9am, and Return of the King still has an hour left :-)
They really did extend 'em! 'cause they're commercial free on Encore.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: November 27, 2011 07:54PM
Paul F.
I've been watching the "extended" versions of the Lord of the Rings movies all day. ALL DAY... started at 9am, and Return of the King still has an hour left :-)
They really did extend 'em! 'cause they're commercial free on Encore.

Now that's a commitment.
Posted by: BillMac
Date: November 27, 2011 08:35PM
vision63
At the base of that wall, you'll find a rock that has no earthly business in a Maine hayfield

EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!! I was up way past my bedtime last night watching that again!!!

-Bill
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 27, 2011 09:58PM
To Kill a Mockingbird

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Done
Date: November 27, 2011 10:12PM
I know I have seen Rudy to many times.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 27, 2011 10:27PM
I watch Miracle On 34th Street about every other year. The Green Mile is another one I have watched a lot.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: davester
Date: November 27, 2011 10:40PM
Interesting. I hate to rain on this parade, but I thought with the advent of DVRs, netflix, iTunes, etc, we'd all moved beyond running our lives based on the schedule laid down by the TV networks. I watch whatever I want to watch whenever I feel like it, not when the networks dictate that I watch it. There's never "something on" at our house that stops me from doing what I'm doing since we only ever watch prerecorded shows (with the exception of important soccer games). Even if there were something on at the time I wanted to watch it I still wouldn't watch because I'd then have to sit through all those commercials. I'm a bit surprised there are still so many that still watch live TV.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 27, 2011 11:13PM
Don't recall anyone saying that watching a randomly run-across movie had stopped them from doing something else...
I was content to spend the day at my computer (which has a TV next to it) and my reloading bench (same TV, 3 feet further away).

A lot of the movies mentioned I'll watch a piece of if I have time if I just happen to see it on.

LotR, Rudy, My Cousin Vinnie, The Fifth Element, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Last Crusade, Star Wars (Ep IV especially), Shawshank Redemption, and True Lies among them.
Some lesser known ones; Undercover Blues, Real Genius, and a few others I'm too tired to remember.

And if the commercials start to annoy me, I'll turn it off, or Tivo it for later - though most of these sort of movies I've seen so many times, I'm content catching 20-30 minutes out of the middle...

LotR side note: I was amazed at how much "fleshing out" many of the extended scenes added to the movies! I may have to buy the extended cuts...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: November 28, 2011 12:28AM
GroundHog Day. I can watch it Over & over again :-)
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: November 28, 2011 12:29AM
Godfather... but more on the true spirit of the question, Castaway and The Patriot.
Oh!... and Die Hard 3 puts me to sleep EVERY TIME....

• back to confinement

Date: November 28, 2011 01:23AM
davester
Interesting. I hate to rain on this parade, but I thought with the advent of DVRs, netflix, iTunes, etc, we'd all moved beyond running our lives based on the schedule laid down by the TV networks. I watch whatever I want to watch whenever I feel like it, not when the networks dictate that I watch it. There's never "something on" at our house that stops me from doing what I'm doing since we only ever watch prerecorded shows (with the exception of important soccer games). Even if there were something on at the time I wanted to watch it I still wouldn't watch because I'd then have to sit through all those commercials. I'm a bit surprised there are still so many that still watch live TV.

It's much more exciting for me to see a movie programmed than to put in a dvd or stream. Most of the dvd's I've bought, I've never watched more than once. It's great to see "Apocalypse Now" randomly shown on AMC or TCM than to play it (which I'll never feel like doing). But it's sitting over on the shelf, including the HORRID "Redux" version.

I watched a heavily edited "Adventureland" earlier today on some channel. I was happy to see it on. It's over on the shelf too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2011 01:24AM by vision63.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: November 28, 2011 02:38AM
OMG! I got sucked into watching Star Wars episode V, this afternoon.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: mrthuse
Date: November 28, 2011 06:29AM
SECONDS
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 28, 2011 06:53AM
Davester,

I actually ended up having to run to the store and then put the kids to bed, so I turned on the DVR and started recording it. I then came home and watched it, fast forwarding through the commercials. All this despite having it on DVD in a box in my basement.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 28, 2011 08:12AM
davester
.I watch whatever I want to watch whenever I feel like it, not when the networks dictate that I watch it.
You're thinking 'ball and chain', but the spirit here is more 'siren luring the sailor onto the rocks of couch potatoness.' Movies that have you saying, 'Okay, just five more minutes and... I'm... going to...' and next thing you know it's an hour later. big grin smiley

The Godfather, Enter the Dragon and A Christmas Story are just three of many that will lure me down the rabbithole.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 28, 2011 09:04AM
Pacino in the Godfather is so good - so freaking good, I couldn't help but get sucked in again on AMC this past turkey day.
Tangentially...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 28, 2011 01:25PM
When I watched live TV, I would start watching a movie I liked, and at the first and every subsequent commercial I'd tell myself- "I've got the DVD and it's ripped to my HD, why not watch that commercial free?"

And watch the whole movie on broadcast TV anyway.

Comfort is a seductive mistress.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: Tangentially...
Date: November 28, 2011 03:00PM
RAMd®d
When I watched live TV, I would start watching a movie I liked, and at the first and every subsequent commercial I'd tell myself- "I've got the DVD and it's ripped to my HD, why not watch that commercial free?"

And watch the whole movie on broadcast TV anyway.

Comfort is a seductive mistress.

I think we feel validated somehow when something we enjoy has been selected by the powers that be for exhibition. Maybe just speaking for myself.
Re: Tangentially...
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 28, 2011 06:35PM
vision63
I think we feel validated somehow when something we enjoy has been selected by the powers that be for exhibition. Maybe just speaking for myself.
I suspect you are in the minority on this one. That couldn't be further from the truth for me. I view TPTB as creatures of pure commerce. A engine bent single mindedly on profit, driven by the "B" students (I've never seen the "C" students as rising much past the level of mid level civil service and managing fast food outlets), guided by neither genius nor imbecility. Occasionally our wants coincide in happy harmony, but we still march to different drummers all the same.

Validated? No. It's more like when you pull up to a stoplight and the driver in the car next to you is bobbing his head to the same song you've got going on your stereo. A rather cool commingling of rhythms, but inevitably the next song comes on, and we're not really on the same station. The next song on his station might not be a bad song, but it's not my song. So we throw each other a quick nod and head down our respective roads.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020