Date: December 03, 2011 05:08PM
does it run os x?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fantastic deal on an BIY AMD computer with 60 GB SSD $200 A/Rs +12 shipping
Posted by: Trouble
Date: December 03, 2011 05:15PM
mattkime
does it run os x?

I wouldn't think with an AMD CPU. If this was in a tiny shuttle sized case I would be all over it.
Posted by: p8712
Date: December 03, 2011 05:15PM
Lion - no, no AMD kernel yet (ever?)
Snow Leopard - Yeah, It'll run. Depending on the boards chipsets there's no guarantee everything will work w/o experimentation
Date: December 03, 2011 05:19PM
OS X on AMD [osx86.co] Looks like a huge hassle to me
Posted by: p8712
Date: December 03, 2011 05:21PM
It is a huge hassle, yes
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 03, 2011 05:30PM
mattkime
does it run os x?

Dude, it's got a 455 under the hood!
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 03, 2011 05:43PM
I've seen the really "thought out well" plans of the ultimate hackintosh machines, and while they come in definitely less than a Mac Pro, and they are often double the speed because of the clock -- they are never $200 machines.

Not saying this couldn't be a fine alternative to a really fast i5 mini -- when I think of making one of these things, I think of making something that's going to rank against a single 6 core Xeon (so using an i980 or i990) unless I was nuts and went for the EVGA X-58 (iirc) with duals and takes the dual Xeons.

These are usually dual power supply machines with extra juice to supply the RAM because you're going to load it, and people spend time hand-lapping the cpu surface with 2000 grit paper and the heat sink to get that perfect heat transfer in a multi-fan machine, and there is usually at least one piggyback video card in the slots, etc., etc.

I just read the review on the latest Vertex PCI SSD -- that thing was 700MB write, 900MB/sec read!! It's already passed up SATA 3, and looking at maxing out SATA 4 if the same arrangement (2x previous spec) is used! Can you imagine a pair of those striped - running Pro-Tools or Logic?? You could probably run a 192 track audio system in a box - and you'd just need to find a studio with a 384 channel board so you could create the ultimate in MIDI soup!!!

(for those of you who have NEVER used GarageBand -- every single utterance has to retrieve the sample, and the HDs have to feed that info FAST. My MacBook with a standard SATA2 drive that is connected to a SATA 1 port, but only hits 51MB/sec anyway (and the best 3.5s are doing about 120MB/sec) got me the following message from GarageBand on the DEMO -- with just FOUR instruments:

"Your hard drive is too slow - go back and play with your Tascam 80-8, and come back when you have a better computer. Thank you."

SSD and the page-in/page-outs as was discussed in someone else's thread is going to really change everything - because now the data is flowing as fast as the computer and the RAM can deal with it (or let's say, way faster than it ever could with a regular HD) - and that's going to make for some incredible machines, as the MacBook Air has proven to a lot of people -- and consider that it is doing that, while making Swap Files on a 64GB SSD --- while my current Swap File on a 320GB drive with just 80GB of stuff loaded (30 of that is music/photos) - is 120GB! It's dynamic, and constantly changing, but it's also a pain in the ass.

I remember when we used to be able to make a simple RAM drive - and have an app use the RAM drive as its scratch disc for Photoshop, if you had enough RAM in the machine under System 6 or System 7. I had a Mac II at the time - and I was so tempted to use that alternate RAM that would go to 68MB in a machine that only took 8MB - but it was ungodly expensive. But that 68MB would have been 1.5x the size of the original HD in that machine! So imagine how fast that would have been!

This is basically the same sort of thing.

And the LAST part of all this is... if you're going to build such a beast (the beast, not just the great experimental computer above that would be a lot of fun and be a great thing to test your skills at overclocking and finding the right voltages and board speeds and chip speeds), would be to spend all that money and then nobody makes whatever it takes to go to 10.8 or 10.7.5 -- that would kill me!

UNLESS that machine had a single purpose like Logic / Pro-Tools, and could accept the app's tiny upgrades that weren't system dependent, and were good for 4 or 5 years -- especially with a few socket change-outs over time -- IF Intel stayed on a path for long enough!

I don't like the way Intel has segregated the CPUs for their ability to use RAM and parallel processing. Even the G4 can act in a multi-core, multi-chip, up to 640 units, where the non-Xeons are 1 chip machines, and the lower end are 2 chip machines and not until you get into the latest versions are you seeing the 8 chip combos that can share the RAM and resource to run server farms at $5k per chip.

And those are 8 and 10 core chips in an 8 socket motherboard - and THAT is the kind of expansion that I'd like to truly be able to build into. Same with the Mac Pro. I would love to be able to buy the dual socket Mac Pro - but with one socket open. Get the 4 core version, but know that it's at 6 core now, and next year brings the 8 core, and if I had the pocket change, I could jump to a pair of 8 core or better Xeons if I wanted to.

This is one reason, for all the good it will do, that I've kept a close eye on the Freescale advances relative to the Power 7 and the Xeon. Freescale finally DID get the "G-6" out the door- and it is an incredible piece of hardware, in the G5 architecture family, with 12 cores on 22nm, with Altivec, and comes in at 192 GFlops, and 1 thread + 2 virtual threads. And you can use HUNDREDS OF THEM - which is why they are headed for aerospace and radar and avionics, etc.

The current Power 7 (8-cores, 4MB cache per core + 4 threads per core!! Not just ONE!) is a 250GFlop chip - and the Power 8s are due out anytime. The fact that OS X ran on the Power Architecture makes me wonder why Apple never considered doing like IBM did - and offer both platforms on the high end, since they cater to both markets. You can Play jeopardy or you can get the latest Xeon machines... and run Winduds/Linux or go Power7 and run AIX... which was native to the Mac how far back?? Because it was Motorola, my Mac II was capable as an AIX workstation 23 years ago -- imagine how friendly it must be now??

Perhaps Mac OS X Server should have been licensed to IBM --- as an alternative of AIX. between the Power 7, the Cell (which is a powerhouse piece of hardware in the PSP3!!) and that G5 derivitive dual core for the XBox (and there are now quad core G5s, but still made at 90nm, there is still a use for many of us with a choice of CPUs that run the same RAM and OS.

The Power 8 will be a jump from 45nm to 22nm (they are skipping 32nm -- the "Power7+ is now made on that, and has improved heat/power ratings, while they left the clock or touched it up just a tad, at 4.25GHz -- DOWN from 5GHz on the Power 6, and ONE Power 7 core is faster than a whole quadcore Power 6 WITH Altivec - the first time IBM put Altivec on one of their own for server computing!).

Next to watch out for will be these newer ultra high end Xeons (not the 1TFlop Intel test chip they announced with 50 cores... - the Power8 will be a production 600GFlop chip this coming year just watch, and you can stack 16 cores, x 200+ CPUs in a single machine...) --- but the new Xeons that break that CPI hold on going past 2 CPUs at a time -- those are going to make for computing so incredible compared to 15 years ago, that Bermuda will be able to use them to create "the bomb" !!

Or run one incredible recording/video production studio!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2011 05:48PM by Jimmypoo.
Date: December 03, 2011 05:49PM
confused smiley Wow, what triggered that?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 03, 2011 06:47PM
he has a vision.

would AppleTalk run on ALL of those Power 7 cores??

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 03, 2011 07:55PM
mattkime
would AppleTalk run on ALL of those Power 7 cores??

I would use 10mbit ethernet in a PowerMac 6100 to interface with the Power 700 line of computers. While AIX did support AppleTalk/LocalTalk at one point, I wouldn't advise digging out your MacPlus at this point.

thumbsup smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020