advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone here have a 2012 Ford Focus or a Hyundai Sonata?
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 04, 2011 04:59PM
We are looking at the Ford Focus sedan as a replacement for my husband's car. The 2012 was a redesign and hasn't been out for very long, but I wondered if anyone here had one and had any thoughts on it.

The other car he was considering was the Hyundai Sonata. He is leaning towards the Focus right now, but if anyone has any thoughts about the Hyundai, those would be appreciated, too.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone here have a 2012 Ford Focus or a Hyundai Sonata?
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: December 04, 2011 05:04PM
Don't have the 2012 Ford Focus but we have 2010 and 2004 ones - love them both! Test drove one of the new ones - if I were looking for a new car, I'd be inclined to stick with the Focus.
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: December 04, 2011 05:06PM
Don't own one, but had one as a rental car a few weeks ago. I thought it was a very well designed car, fun to drive and good gas mileage. If I were in the market, I would consider it.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: pipiens
Date: December 04, 2011 05:09PM
I don't own either but I rent fairly often. I have driven a Focus and lots of Sonatas. The Sonata is my favorite rental car.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 04, 2011 06:17PM
The Sonata is a significantly bigger car than the Focus, and it's mileage isn't as good.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: dad@home
Date: December 04, 2011 06:25PM
I purchased a 2012 Focus 6 months ago primarily as my son's daily driver. Automatic transmission, hatchback, handles well and it is averaging 34 MPG in 7000 miles of mostly city driving. Fords have been reliable and so far no problems. This car has been for sale in Europe for the last couple of years and I think they got all the bugs worked out over there.
I don't care for the "Sync" features for the radio/computer but that's probably just me.

I am very pleased with the purchase, and as an extra bonus it is made in the good ole US of A!

dad
Date: December 04, 2011 06:26PM
Rolando
The Sonata is a significantly bigger car than the Focus, and it's mileage isn't as good.

Yep, that is what I told my husband. The Elantra is more the size of the Focus, but he didn't like the looks of it. The Fusion is more comparable to the Sonata, but those are the two he chose. Apples to oranges, so to speak. I think he will be happier with the smaller car. The car he has now is more the size of the Sonata and he complains it is too big, so the Focus should be a better fit.

Date: December 04, 2011 06:30PM
dad@home
I purchased a 2012 Focus 6 months ago primarily as my son's daily driver. Automatic transmission, hatchback, handles well and it is averaging 34 MPG in 7000 miles of mostly city driving. Fords have been reliable and so far no problems. This car has been for sale in Europe for the last couple of years and I think they got all the bugs worked out over there.
I don't care for the "Sync" features for the radio/computer but that's probably just me.

I am very pleased with the purchase, and as an extra bonus it is made in the good ole US of A!

dad

Thanks! Glad to hear from an actual owner. He would not be getting the Sync package. He still has a basic flip phone, so no need for BT. I liked the looks of the hatchback better, but he liked the sedan, and since it will driven by him 99% of the time, he should get the one he wants. He is looking at the extra fuel efficient package, so he should be pretty pleased with the mileage.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 04, 2011 06:37PM
I just traded in a 2008 Honda Civic on a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The 4 door Civic, Elantra and Focus are all in the same size class, and I think the Elantra gives you a lot more features than the others. Supply of the base model Elantra (automatic - $18K) is limited due to high demand. The Elantra Limited (automatic - 23K with leather seats, alloy wheels, moonroof) is a bit easier to find. Motor Trend reviewed all these cars recently and the Elantra was rated #1, the Civic was #2. The Focus was farther back in the pack, due to transmission shifting problems.

I test drove a Sonata also - it drove similar to the Elantra. But it was bigger, about $5K more than the Elantra and got a few less MPG.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: December 04, 2011 06:44PM
rgG
Rolando

Yep, that is what I told my husband. The Elantra is more the size of the Focus, but he didn't like the looks of it. The Fusion is more comparable to the Sonata, but those are the two he chose. Apples to oranges, so to speak. I think he will be happier with the smaller car. The car he has now is more the size of the Sonata and he complains it is too big, so the Focus should be a better fit.

Are you sure he has seen the 2012 Elantra? It is extremely similar to the new Sonato and has great gas mileage.
Date: December 04, 2011 06:48PM
h linamen
rgG
Rolando

Are you sure he has seen the 2012 Elantra? It is extremely similar to the new Sonato and has great gas mileage.

The dealer we went to was not great, so I am not sure whether they showed him an 11 or a 12. I will look online and see if they look any different.

Date: December 04, 2011 06:55PM
The 2012 Elantra and Sonata look very similar from the side and the back. They look different from the front - most Sonata's have a large chrome grill while the Elantra has a smaller black grill.
Date: December 04, 2011 06:59PM
Forrest
The 2012 Elantra and Sonata look very similar from the side and the back. They look different from the front - most Sonata's have a large chrome grill while the Elantra has a smaller black grill.

I really don't know what he didn't like about the Elantra, but he didn't even want to drive it, go figure. He definately looked at the Elantra and the Sonata and chose the bigger Sonata. He immediately wanted to drive the Sonata instead.

Posted by: jdc
Date: December 04, 2011 07:46PM
Just look at the photos of the elsntra online -- one of the better looking cars in that class -- and all elantras are eaters at 40 mpg hwy.

Don't get me wrong -- I think the focus is a nice looking car as well -- they really have come a long way.

Hyundai=100,000 mile warranty.

If he's looking at a sonata he should also look at its twin -- the Kia optima. Also gets great reviews.

Not sure of your budget (focus and elsntra are $22 loaded) but both the sonata and the optima come in hybrid models. But thats probably a lot more. I would consider those 2 a step above the focus -- more the Honda accord class.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 04, 2011 08:07PM
We were going to look at the Kia, but the dealer near us closed and the closest one is too far to be convenient.

Funny thing is the fit and finish on the Ford actually looked better than the Hyundai.

Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: December 04, 2011 09:49PM
2 comments. Hyundai warranty claims can frequently be nightmares, they don't like to repair things that "the big 3" would have normally warranted without question. I've heard plenty of horror stories.

And if you get the Ford, I'd get Sync - even if he doesn't have a BT phone now he will at some point. It's very nice and would likely be a plus in resale value.

(this coming from a person who does not own either brand nor cares to) ;)

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Date: December 04, 2011 10:26PM
OWC Jamie
2 comments. Hyundai warranty claims can frequently be nightmares, they don't like to repair things that "the big 3" would have normally warranted without question. I've heard plenty of horror stories.

And if you get the Ford, I'd get Sync - even if he doesn't have a BT phone now he will at some point. It's very nice and would likely be a plus in resale value.

(this coming from a person who does not own either brand nor cares to) ;)

Thanks for the info. As far as BT, he doesn't even leave his cell on. He only uses it for very infrequent outgoing calls and uses less than 10 minutes a month, unless he is out of town, so I doubt we will be getting that option. smiling smiley

Date: December 17, 2011 07:53AM
Digging up an old thread - I just got back from a business trip and drove a 2012 Focus. Considering the car had 14000 miles on it, I was not impressed. Acceleration was sluggish and the dash wasn't designed well. There are NO lighted buttons on the radio/CD! I had to turn on the interior light to change the radio station, volume, etc. Also the cigarette jack was right next to the center console storage bin, preventing the latching of bin when my GPS was plugged in. The trip computer displayed an average 33.3 mpg during mixed driving.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020