Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Run M$ apps on Intel Mac without Windows
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: July 04, 2006 03:29PM
[news.yahoo.com]
This certainly looks promising. Sorry if it's been posted before but a search for CrossOver just turned up network questions.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Run M$ apps on Intel Mac without Windows
Posted by: Carthaigh
Date: July 04, 2006 03:58PM
Hopefully, this will have an impact on AAPL this week.

This message has been brought to you by the Threadkiller™
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 04, 2006 04:20PM
Looks like there is going to be a flurry of WIN for Appl now that the cat is out of the bag. It will be a Beta Max vs VCR till a winner immerges.

Interesting there is so much interest in running WIN now that the mac can. I thought WIN was a dirty word.

Will this new capability bring on the hackers? I hope not but I see the handwriting on the wall sadly.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: July 04, 2006 04:21PM
I suspect this program, or something like it, is the real threat to M$'s operating system near-monopoly.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: July 04, 2006 04:26PM
I'd avoid that thing like the plague...it's a sure fire way to get winbloze viruses and trojan horses on your beautiful mac.

Just my 2¢.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: chas_m
Date: July 04, 2006 04:38PM
Actually, wowzer, Crossover is probably the SAFEST way to run Windoze apps on an Intel Mac, since it doesn't require the OS -- which is what the majority of viruses are trying to attack.

It's certainly safer than Parallels or Boot Camp, both of which can get exactly the same viruses and spyware that plague the Windoze world, and could ultimately result in having to wipe the partition (in Boot Camp's case) or OS file (in Parallels') and begin again.

Sadly, I don't own any of the apps known to work with Crossover, and couldn't get any of the random Win programs I tried to work, so for now it's just a nice idea as far as I'm concerned.

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Posted by: microchip13
Date: July 04, 2006 04:42PM
Crossover looks to be a sad WINE ripoff.

There's a Mac Os X version of WINE called DarWINE, pretty much WINE for Darwin.

DarWINE works pretty well on PPC, but you do have to recompile the apps for PPC.

DarWINE I've heard from my friend works pretty well.

There's NO chance I'd spend $60 to have some company bloat a perfectly fine open source development.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: July 04, 2006 05:21PM
What is WINE doing on a PPC - if it isn't another emulator-then what is it facilitating run on PPC?

Linux stuff on PPC within OS X?

There are a handful of apps out there that are the sole reason I've even bothered to keep a peecee around - not many, but just a few. That and the single largest reason, being Crystal Ball - because Excel never recovered from the Office 98 blow, when Gates crippled Excel, and the truly higher business functions were removed from it, and "plug-ins" for Excel were no longer capable of working.

But other than a few times a year - the single most significant reason I want this capability is to irritate the undies of everyone who paid the same for a computer that will only run a single crappy OS, let alone two, or just one and the apps for the other crappy OS.

I don't even bother counting the various Unix/Linux flavors for either chip, because that isn't the average user whose nose I've always enjoyed starting up VPC (in a few seconds, thanks to the way it operates) and shut it down in a few seconds..... all from within the PPC.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 04, 2006 07:28PM
I'm holding out for this:
[www.reactos.org]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: elmo3
Date: July 04, 2006 08:33PM
microchip13
Crossover looks to be a sad WINE ripoff.

There's NO chance I'd spend $60 to have some company bloat a perfectly fine open source development.

ummmm.....chip.....it can't be a ripoff of any kind, by definition.

Go back and re-read the referenced yahoo article.

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: &amp;quot;it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion.&amp;quot;

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: July 05, 2006 06:49AM
That's true -- WINE was open source, if I recall from reading the article.
Posted by: elmo3
Date: July 05, 2006 12:52PM
Even better. Read the Yahoo article carefully. It starts out:

"CodeWeavers has announced plans to release CrossOver Mac this summer..."

Six paragraphs later--not a very long read--it continues:

"CrossOver Mac is based on the same core technology that powers CodeWeavers’
Linux-based offering — an open-source project called WINE..."

So CodeWeavers created WINE, and now CodeWeavers is planning to tweak it to create a product called CrossOver Mac.

And poor Chip thinks of it as a "sad ripoff". I guess in Chip's world, a company can rip itself off.

I guess the 5th gen Corvette was a sad ripoff of the 4th gen Corvette...

Chip:

"There's NO chance I'd spend $60 to have some company bloat a perfectly fine open source development." But would you spend $60 to buy the obvious evolution of that fine open source development from the same developers?

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: &amp;quot;it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion.&amp;quot;

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Posted by: Spiff
Date: July 10, 2006 10:57AM
Hmmmm. Interesting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020