The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Garrison Keillor is not retiring...
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: December 07, 2011 10:53PM
Maybe.

[www.avclub.com]

In an interview with the AARP Bulletin back in March, the 69-years-young Keillor claimed he would retire from A Prairie Home Companion in the spring of 2013, after finding his replacement. He recently expressed some creeping doubts, and now, according to a Sioux City Journal interview, it seems Keillor has completely reneged on the whole retirement thing.

“The show is going well. I love doing it. Why quit?”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Garrison Keillor is not retiring...
Posted by: rankandfile
Date: December 07, 2011 10:54PM
He's a national treasure.

I hope he lives forever.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 07, 2011 10:57PM
What's the show about?
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: December 07, 2011 10:59PM
. . . a different time and place.
Date: December 07, 2011 11:16PM
freeradical
What's the show about?

It's an old fashioned variety show similar to the kind one might have heard in the golden age of radio.

Something like Will-Rogers-meets-Fred-Allen in a fictional town full of sturdy cold-acclimated people in Minnesota.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 08, 2011 12:11AM
It seems that something like that should be on an AM radio station, where you're constantly having to fiddle with the frequency dial etc. to keep it in tune.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: December 08, 2011 12:15AM
APHC, Wait Wait and Car Talk are my (10 yr old) daughters fave shows. Every weekend she listens if she can. Garrison is fantastic.
Date: December 08, 2011 12:35AM
freeradical
It seems that something like that should be on an AM radio station, where you're constantly having to fiddle with the frequency dial etc. to keep it in tune.

That's pretty much the case with any NPR station outside of major cities.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 08, 2011 01:08AM
He may have realized how un-up-to-the-task his potential replacements are. Sara Watkins did one show and as nice and talented as she is, she wasn't up to it. I think if he ever does leave, it will have to morph into a mostly music show like the Grand Ol' Opry, which is where he got the idea for the show in the first place. If I were in charge, I would have a different host band every week, with maybe some regulars, and let other artists play with the host band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 01:28AM by Dennis S.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 08, 2011 04:06AM
Old Democrats never die, they just fade away.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 08, 2011 06:27AM
Manlove
APHC, Wait Wait and Car Talk are my (10 yr old) daughters fave shows. Every weekend she listens if she can. Garrison is fantastic.

i love Wait Wait and download the show podcast every week. i love Car Talk and listen when i can. i think i qualify as an NPR junkie. But i've never been able to stomach much of APHC. i've heard some bits that are truly funny. i think Keillor is wonderfully literate. the show just seems so...so...well, white. yeah, i know it's Minnesota. heck, i lived in Wisconsin for years and love the area. but somehow when i listen to APHC i just feel like it's a show about white people and i have better things to do with my time.

as a musician i'd kill to be invited on. and there's the rub - APHC does try to bring on diverse acts. and then it goes back to the odd white people...

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2011 06:29AM by graylocks.
Posted by: LaserKun
Date: December 08, 2011 07:18AM
Wow, graylocks...
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: December 08, 2011 08:51AM
I've never been a big fan of APHC either, although I'd listen from time to time. But when I saw Robert Alman's movie I began to really appreciate what a great show it is and how lucky we are to have Keillor. So I'm glad he's not retiring.

Thing is, I still don't listen to it very often. Maybe it's too gentle for me. I like the snark of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 08, 2011 09:13AM
LaserKun
Wow, graylocks...

Yeah, my reaction to APHC has always surprised me also given the paths I hang in. Do note that I am in no way saying the show is racist, bigoted, or anything remotely of that sense.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 08, 2011 09:24AM
.....after hearing this news.....just about KEILLed over.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: dad@home
Date: December 08, 2011 09:25AM
graylocks
Manlove
and then it goes back to the odd white people...

Being an odd white guy I alway reserve a couple hours a week for Garrison.

dad
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 08, 2011 12:05PM
graylocks
Manlove

i love Wait Wait and download the show podcast every week. i love Car Talk and listen when i can. i think i qualify as an NPR junkie. But i've never been able to stomach much of APHC. i've heard some bits that are truly funny. i think Keillor is wonderfully literate. the show just seems so...so...well, white. yeah, i know it's Minnesota. heck, i lived in Wisconsin for years and love the area. but somehow when i listen to APHC i just feel like it's a show about white people and i have better things to do with my time.

as a musician i'd kill to be invited on. and there's the rub - APHC does try to bring on diverse acts. and then it goes back to the odd white people...

I am white and Minnesotans seem whiter than white to me. I guess it's because they are from Scandinavia. And all the snow.

As a musician, I did get to play on the show once. It was a great gig.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 08, 2011 12:21PM
Minneapolis is only 72% white. Of course, Lake Wobegon isn't Minneapolis!

PHC is pretty white, I have to agree, although I think it's more about nostalgia for a certain time and place which happens to be white than it is about being white. I know a lot of white people who find the show dull as mud.

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020