advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
under sink water filter
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 05, 2006 10:21AM
The water at my new house tastes terrible. Lots of clorine (not cloromine). I'm considering either a carbon filter or a reverse osmosis filter. Recommendations?

Dave
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: under sink water filter
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 05, 2006 11:41AM
Carbon. Most RO filters have a carbon prefilter, anyway. If all you're trying to do is get rid of chlorine, RO is overkill.

A lot of chlorine means you'll need a lot of carbon. Get something with a solid carbon block.

Will you treat all the cold water from your kitchen tap? You could instead install a little drinking water spigot. It would probably save you money in the long run.
Posted by: raz
Date: July 05, 2006 12:18PM
FWIW, we bought a PUR dispenser for the fridge. It holds 2 gallons, and has a spigot in the front. We like it a lot.

Got it at Lowes, but here's a link [www.amazon.com]

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: earache
Date: July 05, 2006 12:27PM
I use this Kenmore system [www.sears.com] It was rated the best by consumer reports. Works great.

earache
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 05, 2006 12:37PM
We gots a filter on the fridge inside and a PUR filter on the tap. Only water we drink from.

Carm
Posted by: Blurb
Date: July 05, 2006 06:16PM
We've used the 2 stage filter system (different brand than Sears, but otherwise identical to Earache's link) for 18-20 years in more than one home. Simple to install and to replace filters, and the filters last forever. We even got one for the fridge (water and ice lines) since we use that source for drinking water so much. Have that filter hidden on the counter besides the fridge. They work great, very low maintenance and overall low cost.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: July 05, 2006 07:02PM
We have our own well with very good but very hard water. The previous owner installed a professional quality softener and a reverse osmosis / filter system with both carbon and particle filters. The water tastes great and is so mineral free that we can use the water in our water kettle and our steam iron with no scale problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 162
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020